Author Topic: Register your bike - one for the UK members!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Register your bike - one for the UK members!
« on: 28.02. 2013 23:16 »
At last the A7 has been fired up for the first time in at least 40 years after lying under a bench...full story, thanks and photos in a few weeks time.

Anyway - the bike needs a registration number and I'm going to be booking an MOT soon, insure it on the frame number and send that all away along with the dating cert to the DVLA. So far so good. I wonder though if the new(ish) rules that a pre 1960 bike doesnt need an MOT covers the reregistration of pre 1960 bikes? i.e. will I need a frame MOT to go with the application?

Just wondering.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: Register your bike - one for the UK members!
« Reply #1 on: 28.02. 2013 23:32 »
Interesting point, and I don't know the answer.....Sorry! My worry for you is that the authorities wont either as they are beyond useless. Good luck with it all!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 28.02. 2013 23:51 »
Interesting point, and I don't know the answer.....Sorry! My worry for you is that the authorities wont either as they are beyond useless. Good luck with it all!

Aye...once I find out I'll let everyone here know.

I ask the question as well cause my mate bought an unregistered 2005 era farm quad last month and registered it without anyone looking at it at all. No MOT, no inspection, nothing. Just got a dating cert from Honda and filled in a form, took the form to the local DVLA office and hey presto got a 2005 related number. True story and yes it is a farm registered quad but common sense tells you that its wrong. The quad is decent condition - but fit for the road? Checked by anyone?

Anyway...waiting on a tank from India before I can go any furher with mine. The tank I've got has a bad dose of tin worm and as I dont want to see 8 years of fun and endeavor go up in smoke I'll have to wait until early April to get it through this registration process. Unless of course I can get an MOT without a tank being fitted...do you think they'd notice?

Alan 

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2013 01:11 »
Tell them it's a new form of fuel economy.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 01.03. 2013 02:45 »
That's the problem with them, there is no consistency or common sense in their methods. Add to that the fact that they have absolute power is disgracefull. Didn't somebody on this site lose his bike entitlement on his licence due to their blundering? Unfortunately for me I have to deal with V.O.S.A. and the licensing authorities from time to time, and believe you me,.. no two same problems meet with the same outcome.
A mate tried to get a bike type approved last year to sell it on, it is a bog standard rev and go thing, only 4 years old with less than 1,000 miles under its belt.......... It failed!
It was built in the EU and he has all the type approval papers from the manufacturer. Firstly, the examiner told me to wait behind a barrier as two people going through the test process with him was?.........You guessed it, not allowed because of 'elf 'n' safety.'
 All went well though untill he failed it because he couldn't see a kite mark on the exhaust. Fair enough you might think, but when my pal emerged and told me what had happened, I told him it was under the heatshield. Fuming, I stormed off to get the examiner, removed the heatshield in the car park, and showed him the kitemark.
 He then told us that whilst he now accepted the exhaust was correct the test was concluded and logged as a failure with Swansea, and a re-test booking was needed. For those 'of a certain age' reading this will know, what happened next had me wondering when Brian Rix would turn up minus his trousers!........... He told us the bike must be presented complete with heatshield fitted so they don't burn themselves on it, but they also need to see the kitemark!........No problem says I, it only takes a minute to remove it. .....Can't do that Sir, says he. No work allowed on the vehicle allowed during the test, due to?......You guessed it again........Good old 'elf 'n' safety!........ A complete farce!
Good luck!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #5 on: 01.03. 2013 10:14 »
I went in to the local office with details on my Matchless G80 which had never been registered in the UK and is my new project (off the road and not started for years).
I have pictures including engine and frame number
A dating certificate from the owners club stating made in 1958

The man was very helpful and agreed to issue a registration, sign a form confirming that it was manufactured before 1960 and did not need an MOT paid the £55 and within a week I had an age related number for it  *smile*

They can make a mess of it though as at the same time I tried to amend the engine number on the A7. Some time in the late 60’s someone recorded it on the replacement green log book as GA7**** (same prefix as the frame), this is wrong as it should be CA7****. Anyway provide proof etc and was sent off to Swansea. I get back a log book where both the engine number and frame number have been changed to CA7**** despite only request an engine number change and provide no proof of a change of frame  *problem*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.03. 2013 11:01 »
a pre 1960 bike doesnt need an MOT covers the reregistration of pre 1960 bikes? i.e. will I need a frame MOT to go with the application?
[/quote

Hi 900triple - not sure what you mean by a frame MOT, AFAIK an MOT takes the frame number of the vehicle or VIN on a car as the reference for the vehicle, don't think there is any other kind of MOT.
If no MOT is required for your bike then it won't be needed to get it's registration I would have thought, but is this law as of now or still a recommendation ( I think someone did answer this for me but sorry memory memory meory)

Hi metalflake11 you must have a right lot of jobsworths at your end, the guy who does my bikes is strict about things that matter but quite helpful in every respect
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 01.03. 2013 12:39 »
Angus:......It's all 'luck of the draw' with 'em!
Bill, this was for a type approval test at an actual V.O.S.A. test station.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #8 on: 01.03. 2013 16:07 »
"Didn't somebody on this site lose his bike entitlement on his licence due to their blundering?"
Hi metal flake, yep it was me, (original post) http://a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,5618.0.html
What a night mare that ended up being   *conf*.
Totally agree, although rules are needed there really are far to many rules. When I was younger there were far less rules and society didn't break down.
Since they introduced the compulsory seat belt law back in the 80's they've gone mad with stupid rules.
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 01.03. 2013 16:22 »
Hi 900triple - not sure what you mean by a frame MOT, AFAIK an MOT takes the frame number of the vehicle or VIN on a car as the reference for the vehicle, don't think there is any other kind of MOT.
If no MOT is required for your bike then it won't be needed to get it's registration I would have thought, but is this law as of now or still a recommendation ( I think someone did answer this for me but sorry memory memory meory)

Hi bill - prior to the new MOT rules the VMCC/BSAOC et al stated that an MOT would be reuired (using only the frame number as no reg number would be available for obvious reasons...but I take your point that that is what the MOT is based on anyway) plus insurance, again based on the frame number as the reg number has not been allocated. Take these docs plus the dating certificate and bobs your uncle.

However that said - Angus's answer puts a smile on my face as it appears that only a dating cert plus some phots will suffice. Result.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.03. 2013 16:25 »
Ah I'm with you 900triple, see what you mean.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #11 on: 01.03. 2013 16:38 »
Opps

Forgot I had also insured it on the frame number so you will need insurance
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 01.03. 2013 16:59 »
Opps

Forgot I had also insured it on the frame number so you will need insurance

Stiil a result - cheers Angus.

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #13 on: 01.03. 2013 20:32 »
As far as I know it goes like this:
You need proof of age from the owners' club
You need an initial MOT, but are then exempt forever hereafter if it's pre-1960
As you say you can insure and MOT based on frame and engine number

But as has been well said this is all dependant on wind direction and whether there's an R in the month   *conf*
'59 A10