Author Topic: New member intro  (Read 829 times)

Online KeithA

• A's Good Friend
New member intro
« on: 24.10. 2015 09:47 »
Hello all.

What a great website.
I just bought a BSA A7 What I believe is a Mk 2 (1951/52) plunger Star Twin
It is a runner, but I put it up on the bench to have a close look at things, as it leaks heaps of oil.
I'm discovering lots of small problems, stripped threads, metric bolts and nuts, wood screws, dodgy wiring ect.
I have restored a few M series and B series BSA's, but this is the first A series, so I have a lot of questions to ask.
My bike has an original Mortlock Bros brass badge on the rear fender. They were at 914 Hay street Perth and were a big importer of British motorcycles after the war I believe.

Thanks Keith Atkinson

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: 24.10. 2015 10:01 »
 *wave*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2015 10:24 »
Hi Keith,
The fun begins; you have a very worthwhile project!

Are you in Western Australia? The only other forum member I am aware of in WA is Gavin (Mandurah); I am in Maida Vale.

Richard

Online KeithA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 24.10. 2015 12:09 »
Hello Richard Thanks for your reply
Yes I grew up in Pinjarra, but have been in Kalgoorlie for a long time now.
I tried to attach a picture of this cool Mortlock Bros brass plate, but it is above 1500Kb.
If you send me your email address I can send
keithatkinson@hotmail.com
What is your model??
Is Gavin from Mandurah on the forum?? *smile*

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2015 13:42 »
Welcome aboard, thanks for the intro post (and the nice words about the forum).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.10. 2015 16:48 »
Keith,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I would say you have many hours of fun ahead of you getting your A7 where you want it, being an experienced restorer. If there was an A7 referred to as "Mk 2" that is news to me. 

I haven't checked your proximity to Richard (Orabanda), but if it's close enough to get together it would be well worthwhile. Please take a picture of the expression on your face when Richard answers the question: "What is your model?"

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2015 17:35 »
but it is above 1500Kb.
Hi and welcome Kieth

If you on a windows PC then you might have "Paint" or you can download free "Paint.net", load your pic in, crop it if you can , go to "save as" and in the box alter the size by moving the slider top left to the left until you get the size down to 750, won't take much, the pics show a file reduced to a quarter of original size/
Other graphics programs are available of course
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2015 18:49 »
hi Keith, or just download ` Fast Image Resizer` easy to use, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2015 20:51 »
G'day Keith  *welcome*.
I would say the term Mk2 would come from being a short stroke Star Twin. A mate up the road has a '53 that just did a 700 mile 4 day weekend.
You'll love it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 25.10. 2015 06:01 »
Hi Keith, Welcome to the forum. Hope you get as many answers, tips clues and insights as I have from the forum so far. It's all done in a good natured  way as well.

I cut as many corners as i can when it comes to computer stuff, so to add a picture, i first email it to myself... Somehow Outlook reduces it to something very acceptable to the site requirements, so then i save it and add it as an attachment.

I am in Mandurah and found this site a few years back.  Orabanda made himself known, and  has been an amazing help. I knew nothing of bikes but had one in bits for over 30 years. took 5 years to get it together when i set my mind to it. I am pretty sure that Orabanda saved me from blowing up the bike very early in the piece and between him and this forum i have been able to keep the bike on the road and build another one. Many others i am sure would have been just as helpful had they been in close proximity.

great to have another sand groper on board mate.

Offline Daftmate

• Active
  • Too many projects
« Reply #10 on: 25.10. 2015 11:49 »
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum.  I was in Kalgoorlie quite some years ago attending a mine equipment auction. The bit I recall was a bar called 'skimpies? Apparently the mayor made a rule stopping the staff from having 'uncovered' tops.  So they just wrapped them up in cling film and partied on.....
DM

PS Good luck in the rugby against Argentina
Daftmate - bikes: A10 GF 1956 plunger, Matchless G3LS, Yamaha HL540, Husqvarna 410, 2x 510, 610.

Online KeithA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 25.10. 2015 13:10 »
Well after a bit of thought. Paris Hilton is a model. She's a gold flash! Then think some more, Hmm I think I'll stick with my A7.
Keith

Online KeithA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 25.10. 2015 13:17 »
My research came from the website classic british motorcycles.com

"A7 MARK 1
This first version of the BSA A7 500 twin was called the A7 Mark 1 & it ran from 1946 through the 1950 model year, when replaced in the 1951 model year by, you guessed it, the BSA A7 Mark 2.
Not sure if this is correct.
Keith

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.10. 2015 20:12 »
"A7 MARK 1
This first version of the BSA A7 500 twin was called the A7 Mark 1 & it ran from 1946 through the 1950 model year, when replaced in the 1951 model year by, you guessed it, the BSA A7 Mark 2.
Not sure if this is correct.

Makes sense, but unless they knew there were going to be subsequent models, calling it 'Mark 1' seems  optimistic- but I guess it's something lots of us might do when we make something new *whistle*; having said that I asked a similar question a while ago, and come to the conclusion the first ones were called the 'A7 Vertical Twin'....
 Moto Guttzi made the 850 T then went straight to T3- no T2  *dunno*

Hiya Keith welcome along  *welcome*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia