Author Topic: BSA A10 piston kits  (Read 2728 times)

Offline awright2209

• Active
BSA A10 piston kits
« on: 22.10. 2015 12:12 »
Good morning, I have just joined today. My name is Adrian Wright and I am a piston manufacturer; we have just had manufactured BSA A10 piston kits, which I designed.

We were at the Stafford Classic bike show with our new pistons which were well received by BSA owners who saw them on our stand.

We will be supplying these kits to the Ariel Huntmaster spares co-ordinator when they arrive next month.
I look forward to any suggestions you may have, thank you for your time.

Kind regards
Adrian Wright
IMD Piston Co. Mill Farm Beeston Cheshire CW6 9NJ Tel: 01829 261641
www.imdpistons.com

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA A10 piston kits
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2015 18:03 »

Gidday Adrian- I have to say they look awright *smile*, probably have a few enquiries, what approx weight are they, and what O/S do they come in...?

There's been a few folk I think looking for notably + 30's lately

cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 22.10. 2015 20:22 »
G'day Adrian  *welcome*.
Would there be higher compression's and also A7's in the pipeline?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline awright2209

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2016 17:37 »
Hi sorry for the delay in replying; I thought about A7's awhile ago and have decided to do the early type first, so later in 2016 we will have +40 & +60 available. Thats 63 & 63.5mm. Let me know if they are of interest. I attach a letter from a very satisfied customer of ours regarding the A10 pistons we manufactured.

Cheers Adrian

Hi , Adrian,

Just a short note to  say how happy I am with the performance of the new pistons you supplied me with towards the end of last year. As you know, I fitted them in the re bored cylinder block of my 1950 BSA Golden Flash, and I have been using the bike regularly since then with over 1,000 miles on the clock to date. They have been really good. It was obvious when I first unwrapped them that they were a quality item. The metal simply felt right. They appear to be of the same weight as the manufacturer’s originals and so they run through the range smoothly without any undue vibration, just like in the good old days when original quality pistons were available.

I should confess my running in stage was not unduly prolonged, despite my best intentions, and after the initial hundred miles or so I ended up using the bike in my normal manner. There has not been any sign of distress from them to date at all, they just seem to do the job without any problems at all. I took the bike on an Ariel Club event last week end to camp at Disserth in central Wales. It involved a sporting run over the Derbyshire Peak District, across the M6 at Stoke and on through Telford, Much Wenlock, Knighton and Llandrindod Wells on empty sweeping roads on a perfect sunny day. We did a less exuberant run over the mountains on the Saturday, and I blasted home on the Sunday with a bit of sustained cruising on more major trunk roads on the Sunday. Not only were the four hundred and something miles trouble free but no oil was burned or lost in the whole trip. I was impressed the oil tank level had not dropped perceptively in the whole trip.

Interestingly, one of the AOMCC members I met up with at Disserth had bought a set of your pistons and fitted them in an effort to resolve an oiling problem his Ariel FH (Huntmaster) had developed quite quickly, I understand after a professional engine rebuild. He is a high mileage rider- his annual mileage is currently getting on for the same as many of us put together. His exhaust had begun to smoke visibly with burnt oil. A video of this appears on the blog he maintains of his travels. He fitted your pistons in place of the smokey ones. I don’t think he even had the bores re-honed for them. The transformation was immediate. Again, not only is he not burning oil, he is finding the bike nicer to ride, which is important, given the mileage he’s doing. He’s so delighted he keeps telling everyone he meets. If I may pass your e mail address on to him I’m sure he’ll want to let you know as well how happy he is with these pistons himself.

In short, well done, the pistons are great, they go well, they are smooth, good on oil and they are trouble free. Obviously well worth it to fit them and just get on with enjoying using the bike in the manner the makers intended.

Yours sincerely,

William Fletcher.