Author Topic: First Start.  (Read 1226 times)

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
First Start.
« on: 07.10. 2015 05:24 »
Hi guys, `First Start` went without a hitch, very satisfying after such a mammoth undertaking, restoration and rehabilitation complete. The sound was awesome just like a proper bike sound kicking is not easy as it has a lot of compression but the `Thorspark Ignition`  was spot on without adjustment, just an adjustment of the clutch before the primary cover goes on and a few stickers then off to get it registered and warranted. So you can see the clutch whizzing round but I will make a recording of the sound when the cover is on for everyone to enjoy, thanks to all on the forum with all the vital information that I needed to complete this project I now have a library of pictures  tips/tricks, documentation and special tool drawings that were so useful, cheers   
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: First Start.
« Reply #1 on: 07.10. 2015 05:31 »
Very smart!  Happy riding.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2015 09:29 »
Any colour as long as it's black or chrome eh. Very nice bike, especially the belt drive which I am considering for my bike but it's a lot of $$$$$$$

Maybe I will see this bike one day.....do you attend bsa club rallies?

This thread may get moved to bike pics etc!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 07.10. 2015 10:50 »
`First Start` went without a hitch, very satisfying after such a mammoth undertaking
Congrats+++. Excellent to read such stories. Bike looks really great.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.10. 2015 14:22 »

Nice one KP, good luck with the rego stuff and happy riding
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.10. 2015 14:51 »
Congratulations for getting it going and for a beautiful bike. I assume "warranted" in OZ is similar to MOT in the UK. In the US you basically just have to prove you own it and you're done (at least that's what goes in Illinois). I can imagine the inspector saying "sounds like your exhaust valve rockers need a little adjusting," or, "you call those brakes?". How about testing your grip strength to see if you have what it takes to work the clutch lever? *smile* I know, your clutch isn't six-spring.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 07.10. 2015 20:07 »
Great work kiwipom. Sounds great just looking at the pic.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 07.10. 2015 21:55 »
Thanks guys for the nice comments, KiwiGF.not a member but maybe I will join up. Thanks to: A10GF/Dutch/ Musky/terryg and Richard L, as a matter of interest Dutch I’ll be over your way in November we must try to meet up. Richard L. don’t know about OZ buy here in NZ yes the warrant is the same as M.O.T. clutch is good not too much effort at all, purchased from good member AlanP as he was not happy with it. The bike was last rego`ed in 1986 so I think it will have to be re-vinned which is what all new vehicles have to go through here, did anyone notice the `GAMMATRONIX` integrated LED battery charge level indicator? I drilled a hole in the headlight to fit it, I wired it into the ignition kill switch which also acts as an indicator that the ignition is ON, cheers 

NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.10. 2015 10:51 »

I assume "warranted" in OZ is similar to MOT in the UK.

Well at least you  got the 'z' right... won't be long before we'll be one big happy combined nationality;- NOZ  *smile*

KP- Yo, was thinking that possibility the other day, not sure if there'll be any vocational interference about then again, but holla, and I'll try make it happen *wink2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 08.10. 2015 21:20 »
hi Dutch,  (Well at least you  got the 'z' right... won't be long before we'll be one big happy combined nationality;- NOZ) ..
...don't think so the way Australia are treating kiwi,s these days, cheers

NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.10. 2015 03:04 »

KP, I meant to ask you about the LED gizmo, are you running 6 or 12V? and where did you get it, it's at least similar to but maybe not the same same as Graybeards...?
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 09.10. 2015 09:16 »
hi Dutch, I have converted to 12v. and run electronic ignition. LED gizmo was from eBay I think but off the net anyway, your pointer points to a Philips screw the led light is just above it, it works on 6v too it is green at full power then changes to yellow then red if the battery is losing power, it proves that the battery is getting charged. it is easily fitted as quite small just a live and neutral required, cheers 

NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.10. 2015 10:38 »

your pointer points to a Philips screw the led light is just above it,
..uuuh...yeah that's the one I meant *smile*

it works on 6v too
..sweetas cuz that's for me, do you have the link- I'll see if I can find one, I need something that tells me the light's on- the lights won't; I often stop and come back to find a dark patch where there should be light *conf*

I fixed the pic (I think)
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 09.10. 2015 14:07 »
...green at full power then changes to yellow then red if the battery is losing power, it proves that the battery is getting charged. it is easily fitted as quite small just a live and neutral required...
I have one working on my 6v machine. I have it shining into the clear side of the ammeter. It's just stuck on with blue-tack inside the cowling. As I don't have a standing supply for it I powered it from the lamp feed. This means I have a good indication of charging health on a night ride. In fact, due to where I have it it's not really visible in daylight. It is very successful and not an obvious modernisation!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 10.10. 2015 23:50 »
SparkBright make these little monitors with auto night dimming monitors. Somehow this feature is fitted into the tiny volume occupied by the monitor. Wiring for the autodimming is integral, the product just requires  two wire connections, one to the positive side and one to negative.
As voltage goes down from +13 it goes from green to orange to red to red flashing slowly to red flashing quickly .
The red flashing caught my eye when my Li battery failed 1500 miles from home. I was able to deal with the situation before my ignition cut out due to low battery voltage.
Very visible during daytime but also the right light level for night riding.
Glen

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/battery-voltage-monitors.php