Author Topic: A7 shooting star scrambler  (Read 1785 times)

Offline newa7ss

• Active
A7 shooting star scrambler
« on: 23.09. 2015 20:50 »
Hi I'm new to this and this seemed the right place to start. The pic I've posted is of a 1955 a7 shooting star worked out by frame and engine numbers.  But it seems someone has made a few changes as it looks nothing like a shooting star. Any thoughts anyone? Was this common to convert them?

Any info appreciated thanks

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A7 shooting star scrambler
« Reply #1 on: 23.09. 2015 21:44 »
G'day newa7ss,  *welcome*.
Looks like a home made A7SSSS (shooting star spitfire scrambler). And not a too bad a job. How did you come about it? Do you know of it's history?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 23.09. 2015 21:54 »
That pic is from 06 when my dad bought it he planned to restore it back then  but got carried away with his enfeild and it ended up sitting around since now he's let me give it ago at restoring it. I'm currently trying to find out as much as possible about it. Still in two minds how to do it

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.09. 2015 21:56 »

I reckon it looks ok as it is *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 23.09. 2015 22:15 »
Looks like that at the moment. Lol. Would take a lot to make it original again. Probably will restore as it looks

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 23.09. 2015 22:19 »
I see the bike has a rear number plate so I expect somebody has made a trail bike out of it. Also the footrests have been modified. The extent to which other parts of the frame have been altered might affect your decision about getting it back on the road. Getting back to standard would probably cost more than sensible as it needs a tank, mudguards and the headlamp stuff. I would be inclined to tidy it up as a trail bike.

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 23.09. 2015 23:38 »
Anyone any idea on what it would be worth?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.09. 2015 03:22 »

It's worth fixing and riding *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 24.09. 2015 10:23 »
Haha excellent answer

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #9 on: 24.09. 2015 10:41 »
Welcome aboard, hoping you will find any help you may need.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 24.09. 2015 12:09 »
Thanks a10gf I'll let you all know when I properly start the restoration.

Not too sure where to start it's my first big bike any advice for a novice?

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 24.09. 2015 18:37 »
Interesting looking bike! Looks like there has been some good work done on it in the past, especially the air filter arrangement....I assume theres some sort of central oil tank behind it taking up the space where the battery would normally be? That would be a problem if you wanted to fit lights....also the dynamo being absent!
If it were mine I'd certainly keep it much as it is, changing it back to a standard SS would involve finding lots of parts...
The tank is from a later unit single BSA but unsure exactly what the brakes are....maybe the same?
Its possible that when it was first built (considering the design of it) that an unusual gearbox might have been used.....see if you can see any letters stamped on the top of it.....SCT for instance!
As to value......what anyone is willing to pay really....speaking for myself if I saw it on ebay at say £3000 I'd think that about right!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.09. 2015 19:00 »
Looks like that at the moment. Lol. Would take a lot to make it original again. Probably will restore as it looks
The engine on my A10 looked almost as salty as that, (the bike had been ignored at the back of my garage for forty years). I used my bench grinder with a wire brush to great effect to clean up the casings. I was careful to not use excessive pressure to avoid damage to the aluminium. I then used a polishing mop on the same grinder to put a shine on the bits that needed a shine.

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 24.09. 2015 21:26 »
Yes there is an oil tank next to the air filter and I found a battery up behind the plate where the headlight would be. Not too sure about the dynamo missing I'll have to look into that. I have decided to keep it as is and just refurbished all the parts on it. Are those brakes not the standard brakes then?  As for the gearbox I'll have to check for the stamps what do they mean?

Hi gray beard I was planning on getting a polishing kit for the bigger casings but the whole engine needs a lot of work on the exterior like the fins on the top end and all nuts and bolts replacing or cleaning is there anywhere you get a full set of replacement nuts and bolts??????

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 24.09. 2015 23:29 »
... is there anywhere you get a full set of replacement nuts and bolts??????

I got most of the stuff I couldn't clean up and re-use from Draganfly. Their website makes it easy. They are happy to take back and refund if you don't use something. I did have a couple of issues with their parts but nothing too serious.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash