Author Topic: A7 shooting star scrambler  (Read 1781 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A7 shooting star scrambler
« Reply #15 on: 24.09. 2015 23:54 »
If you have the part #'s for the bolt/nut,screw this site http://www.stevenott.com/bsatrinbw.htm  will give sizes/thread type.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #16 on: 25.09. 2015 00:27 »
Cheers guys

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #17 on: 25.09. 2015 01:58 »
I like your style... restore the bike inside...   *wink2* 
but where was it stored previously?
Reason I ask is that I have a friend who stored a bike in a garden shed
along with his swimming pool chemicals.. ( not recommended)    *pull hair out*
The motor had the same type of corrosion & the frame was rusted / eaten away from the inside.
anyway... enjoy the forum & looking forward to your progress reports & updates..  *smile*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 25.09. 2015 04:49 »
They are happy to take back and refund if you don't use something.
Not from overseas, even if it's the wrong bits *rant*...

Gearbox stamps only indicate how it started out, gears are mostly interchangeable (except for some CR gears/shafts)...best tell us what is in it- there's a chart kicking around somewhere...http://www.bsa-a10.hailwood.com/images/gearbox/chart1.jpg

The Genny maybe laying around but the front engine plates have been changed, so if you want to fit it, you'll need to find front engine plates (for swingarm)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #19 on: 25.09. 2015 13:26 »
I can't seem to find anything on the gearbox I'll have a better look when I clean it up and get it out of the bike. Any idea where abouts in the gearbox or would it be obvious?

The bike was stored in a wood she'd for 8 years with one side open to the elements but the frame looks in pretty good nick. No chemicals involved luckily.

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 26.09. 2015 22:13 »
The letters are usually stamp on the right hand side of the engine on the top hope this helps.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 27.09. 2015 00:09 »

The letters are usually stamp on the right hand side of the engine on the top hope this helps.

You mean on the top of the G'box hey *wink2* I think on the inner cover *????*...
  All five of the Plunger boxes I have available have different stamps, some on the top lug, and none are as per the "chart"
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 27.09. 2015 10:30 »
I mentioned the gearbox stamping because it looks to me as if the original builder knew what he was doing and so might well have used a box with the appropriate gearing.....which are now quite rare. The number (actually 3 letters and possibly one number) would be stamped on the top surface of the inner gearbox casing (the part about an inch thick between the outer casing and the actual gearbox itself)....it should be fairly obvious....no need to take anything apart to see it!

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #23 on: 28.09. 2015 17:40 »
Ok after abit of cleaning I've found  STD   and SCT 

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 28.09. 2015 19:22 »
Thats confusing! STD is the normal gearbox fitted to most bikes, SCT or SCT2 is a scrambles or trials gearbox with different ratios and needle roller bearings......looks like the only way to find out definitely would be to take it apart but heres a chart anyway....

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #25 on: 29.09. 2015 05:36 »
Love the B44 tank, really suits it. Looks like the pressed steel 7" BSA brake fitted to everything from the late forties XB31 to the sixties B44's.
I'd be thinking keeping it in an ISDT replica style, someone put a lot of effort into it and it looks the part.  *wink2*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #26 on: 29.09. 2015 05:42 »

after all these years the stamps don't mean a lot, too easy to restamp them irrespective of the contents.

I'm in the process of fitting an SC box to one of my A10's. Thirds slap in the middle of 2nd and 4th unlike the STD which has 3rd quite close to top with quite a step from 2nd.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 29.09. 2015 06:49 »

after all these years the stamps don't mean a lot, too easy to restamp them irrespective of the contents.

I'm in the process of fitting an SC box to one of my A10's. Thirds slap in the middle of 2nd and 4th unlike the STD which has 3rd quite close to top with quite a step from 2nd.

Kinda what I meant when I posted this:

Gearbox stamps only indicate how it started out, gears are mostly interchangeable (except for some CR gears/shafts)...best tell us what is in it- there's a chart kicking around somewhere...http://www.bsa-a10.hailwood.com/images/gearbox/chart1.jpg

..And I thought the inserted link ^ may have led to;-
http://www.bsa-a10.hailwood.com/billsgearbox.html

Which I really like, but not as easy as it may sound... *eek*
Australia

Offline newa7ss

• Active
« Reply #28 on: 07.10. 2015 10:58 »
hi wondering if anyone can help, the airbox on the scrambler is not standard looks along the lines of the catalina airbox with two 4"x4" panel filters one above the other, anybody know where i might find these airfilters? or know anything about this type of airbox