Author Topic: Daftmate - A10 Plunger Intro  (Read 848 times)

Offline Daftmate

• Active
  • Too many projects
Daftmate - A10 Plunger Intro
« on: 23.08. 2015 06:21 »
Dear Forum,

OK here goes with my next after my first intro post. Guess  I'd better show some pictures of my 1956 A10 Plunger.  If I get away with this one I'll try asking some burning questions.

First a short intro about me. I'm  based in Lincoln UK and am proud to be able to say I was apprenticed at the Ruston factory where I think I probably received a far better engineering education than I ever appreciated at time.  Not just the exposure to all basic metal mangling processes right through casting, forging, heat treatment through to precision machining but more importantly that sidewise look at life that only sour faced foreman of yesterday could impart.  Gems such as:

1. Don't sit on that cold molding box too long lad, your get piles.
2. Never hit a steel faced hammer on the anvil.  WHY ? Ow......
3. Don't wrap emery cloth around a bar turning in a lathe to polish it, put it around the back of a flat file. Otherwise it will grab and take your fingernail off.  "Daftmate"  report to the matron in the ambulance room. They always waited for young'uns to mess up THEN tell you how to do it properly.  You don't make this specific mistake twice, yep that'll be me then.

Finally after 5 years I finished training and started on the test pits on night shift. After a two years of that I finally got  to my end goal of being a site commissioning engineer.

Will stop the life story there as the tales of 'daring do' on too many oil and gas sites around the world sorting gas turbines
are tedious (ask my wife).  Have put picture of our company car at the end of the post (have a look you'll understand why).

So to bikes,  they have been a constant obsession since I was a sprog (Lincoln word ?).  I've tried to ride MX bikes all my life, I'm crap at it but love  trying.  My mates all bought Fizzies at 16,  I spent my hard earned pennies (OK my Dad's) on a BSA Metisse 441.  Loved that bike, still do....

So finally, the marvellous A10 plunger Beezer.  I don' really do road bikes, I fall off too much on the dirt, so tarmac looks like sandpaper to me.  But after the last broken bone sketch my mate said try a classic brit bike . So he lent me an A7 plunger,  I was a happy bunny, so the search began.  Another close friend had just finished restoring an A10 plunger,  it got to the final of the Classic Bike of the  Year comp.  See  before/after pictures hopefully attached.  He gets bored once resto projects are finished so was going to stick it on fleabay.  "please don't do that,  I'll have it" said I. We agreed a mutually agreeable price over a beer together with payment terms as I was skint.  Only problem was I hadn't exactly got clearance from SWMBO,  I already had four bikes in bits.  Had to hide the Beezer for six months before I finally plucked up the courage. Didn't hurt too much once the swelling went down.

Have done about 1500 miles now,  and it's been great fun bedding it all in and getting it to run real nice (some days !).  So without further ado here she is :
Daftmate - bikes: A10 GF 1956 plunger, Matchless G3LS, Yamaha HL540, Husqvarna 410, 2x 510, 610.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Daftmate - A10 Plunger Intro
« Reply #1 on: 23.08. 2015 08:41 »

Hiya there Daftoe
since I was a sprog (Lincoln word ?).
dunno, we have them here too *eek*

Is Lincoln up Yorkin and Lancan way??... I worked for a couple of guys from there a while ago, couldn't understand a word they said.. *dunno2*
  Welcome to Plunger world; Tons of fun....
BSA Metisse 441
, is that the (B44) ones that became the CCM???
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 23.08. 2015 10:10 »
Thanks for the fine intro post & pictures, welcome to the forum. Black plunger looking great+++

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2015 10:58 »
Thanks for the fine intro post & pictures, welcome to the forum. Black plunger looking great+++
Ditto
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Daftmate

• Active
  • Too many projects
« Reply #4 on: 23.08. 2015 13:23 »
Thanks duTch for your response:

Answer 1. Nope Lincoln would be in Lincolnshire, defo not Yorkshire or Lancashire.  Be careful with the last two, they even fell out over little things like flowers.

Answer 2: Almost ! Metisse is the French word for mongrel and was the brainchild of Derek and Don Rickman based in Hampshire (see we like shires).  They progressed from building their own specials with Triumph engines in BSA frames to making almost the complete bike by the end of the sixties and early seventies. 

CCM or Clews Competition Machines comes from a different route.  Based in Bolton, Alan Clews was a top UK MX rider who was very good at developing fast Beezers.  When the BSA comp shop shutdown Alan borrowed a shed load of money and  bought up all the B50 stuff from the factory he could lay his hands. Spares, castings, machine tools etc. 

Starting in '72 with the Clews Stroka he rapidly developed the bikes through the late seventies and started really worrying big japanese two strokes at GP level.  John Banks was just one of a number top works riders who pushed the envelope. Eventually the bikes had tuned engines had 4 valve heads, 3 speed gearboxes and went like s....off a shovel, but needed lots of GP level maintenance like changing the shift forks between each GP race. I had 1977 CCM 580,  and couldn't keep the transmission together most of the time.  So went onto a Yamaha HL500, but that's another yarn.

Feeling very smug this morning just picked a perfect Plunger gearbox casing from the  Newark autojumble for £40 quid. See pics hope they are all the same across  A7/A10 and model years. Think I'll be OK  so my lucky day, the old one needed the bottom mounts welding up and guess I'll  keep the repaired one for spares.
Daftmate - bikes: A10 GF 1956 plunger, Matchless G3LS, Yamaha HL540, Husqvarna 410, 2x 510, 610.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 23.08. 2015 14:58 »
Beautiful bike, and I'm drooling over the car as well!

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2015 15:26 »
So finally, the marvellous A10 plunger Beezer.  I don' really do road bikes, I fall off too much on the dirt, so tarmac looks like sandpaper to me.  But after the last broken bone sketch my mate said try a classic brit bike . So he lent me an A7 plunger,  I was a happy bunny... I

Daftmate,

First of all, great intro post. Enjoyable reading. I don't have the kind of riding experience you and many others here have, but I think of riding my A10 as being on a time macchine. You say you don't do road bikes, but when it comes to time machines, maybe the H.G. Wells version is even more fun than Dr. Emmet Brown's Delorean.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.08. 2015 20:33 »
...I think of riding my A10 as being on a time macchine. You say you don't do road bikes, but when it comes to time machines, maybe the H.G. Wells version is even more fun than Dr. Emmet Brown's Delorean.

Richard, have you been sniffing too much petrol today?  *countdown*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2015 20:57 »
OK, I admit to torturing the metaphor/analogy.

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.08. 2015 11:03 »

Daftmate,

First of all, great intro post. Enjoyable reading. I don't have the kind of riding experience you and many others here have, but I think of riding my A10 as being on a time macchine. You say you don't do road bikes, but when it comes to time machines, maybe the H.G. Wells version is even more fun than Dr. Emmet Brown's Delorean.

Richard L.
[/quote]

Perhaps oddly (?) I get very much the same sensation on my A10. It’s much stronger than on any other of my older machines. Riding out in the Essex lanes at twilight I feel very much transported back to earlier times on it. I actually think of myself as ‘Ghostrider’ on those runs.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 24.08. 2015 16:51 »
Great post DM ,  nice bike and can tell you've already got the BSA smile well and truly fixed on your gob. Watch out though there are a few people from Lancs and Yorkshire on the forum and in some places they are still fighting " the wars of the roses " Barnoldswick springs to mind ,is it in Lancs or is it in Yorkshire ,when I visited last time  it said lancs on the way in but some 2 hours later a local had changed the sign to Yorkshire ,he probably wanted his son to bee able to play for Yorkshire !! Fortunately Liverpool was removed from Lancashire a few years ago something about lowering the tone !! *smil* Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Daftmate

• Active
  • Too many projects
« Reply #11 on: 24.08. 2015 23:20 »
Many thanks for all the kind responses.    Barnoldswick ?????  isn't that the place that gave it's first letter 'B'  to the Rolls-Royce aero engine series as in RB 211 or RB 199 etc.  RB being Rolls Barnoldswick ?   Provided of course they didn't name the engine after a river as in Avon, Tyne , Derwent etc. or more recently Trent.

Not sure without checking it's the right place exactly but sure sounds familiar. Think Barnoldswick was the engine development and test centre.

Just saying, anyone know the truth ?

DM

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.08. 2015 01:46 »

?????  isn't that the place that gave it's first letter 'B'  to the Rolls-Royce aero engine series as in RB 211 or RB 199 etc.  RB being Rolls-'*********'?
There was talk about that not so long ago, maybe in a thread about Spitfires or other airshow stuff
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 25.08. 2015 13:48 »
DM , absolutely right Barnoldswick was where Whittle tested his engine in the then rover works which were taken over by Rolls Royce and since then all RR engines start with RB . one of my clients (I'm a IFA ) Father worked there seconded from AVRO .Good memory Dutch !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom