Author Topic: Hi from new member Stuartb  (Read 527 times)

Offline Stuartb

• Active
Hi from new member Stuartb
« on: 22.08. 2015 12:11 »
Hi everyone,
I’ve just joined this forum because it’s an Aladdin’s cave for info on A7-A10s!
As a youth I had a DOT, an Ariel NG and a Velo MAC (and boy, do I wish I still had them!), but never even rode a Beezer! Now, as an old git I just happen to have ended up with several – ’61 Bantam D7, 2 ’61 C15s, ’66 A65L and last, but by no means least, a ’54 swinging arm Golden Flash. I’d always hankered after an A10 and when this one came along, I just couldn’t resist it. I was told it had been fully restored. It’s a lovely bike to ride, but after a time the clutch started to drag when hot and then, a while later, it not only dragged but also slipped under load. So I naively assumed that it was just a matter of adjustment. Taking off the primary chaincase told a different story – the clutch was just a hopeless bodge. So I replaced most of the components only to find that the clutch action is hopelessly heavy. Hence the searching around the net and finding this forum! Now I know I’ll solve the problems because there's so much expertise here, even if it does mean changing the unit!

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Hi from new member Stuartb
« Reply #1 on: 22.08. 2015 12:44 »
Hi and  *welcome* Stuart.

Looks like a really nice bike you've got yourself there!
It seems that clutches are the least loved/understood item on our bikes... When I got my SA I had the same experience as you. Although being a 4 spring, it was a complete mess, but some new parts and correct adjustments got it going. I recently took it apart for a check and a clean up and everything still looked as good as new.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.08. 2015 13:01 »
Stuart,

Welcome to the forum.  *welcome* Thanks for the very good introduction? That certainly is a beautiful bike.

I am assuming that the clutch you rebuilt is a standard six-spring model, as is mine. I think there will be general agreement that the six-spring clutch is a heavy action even when properly adjusted (especially when you sit on a modern bike and compare). I think of it as grip-strength exercise. Over-tightening the springs in search of no slipping will increase the grip strength needed. You may have read the recent extended discussion of lubricants for the chain case. Hands down, ATF is the most popular choice for reducing slip, while a lesser number report motor-oil loyalty. Adjusting the cable and actuating arm position should leave just a tiny amount of play in the arm before the pushrod is contacted and, also, a little play at the grip. Fully gripped, the actuating arm should be parallel with the gearbox cover joint. Then, there is spring adjustment (so many methods!). The bottom line is very even in and out movement around the circumference of the pressure plate.

(Oh crap! I just realized I'm talking to someone who may know these things better than I, and maybe from a time before I had a clue. Oh well, I've come too far to throw it all out now. Also, I've taken so long that someone else has probably chimed in with similar thoughts, maybe making all this even more redundant.)

As for clutches with lighter actions, converting to a 4-spring Triumph type seems to be about the most common option with new twists on this in belt drive available from SRM and others. Then there are the other special customizations. Adaptation of a Suzuki clutch comes to mind. Personally, I only have six-spring experience, so can't say I know first-hand how good these options would be, but pretty confident there can be great improvement.

Wow, that was wordy and certainly enough for now.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 22.08. 2015 13:39 »
G'day Stuartb, welcome aboard.
Yes I found the same mess when I bought my A7SS (now my A10 cafe). It was the first thing in the bin. I replaced it with a 4 spring and raced it dry for 8 years. I've now got a belt and diaphragm clutch in her now, again dry. Two finger light, no slip or drag, just a chirp on take off.
the earlier plunger 6 spring is much better.
Do a search on clutch slip/drag. Lots of posts on the subject.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 23.08. 2015 10:15 »
Thanks for the intro post, welcome aboard, hoping the forum will be useful.

joined this forum because it’s an Aladdin’s cave for info on A7-A10s!
Appreciated.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.08. 2015 12:02 »
Aladdin’s cave

Welcome aboard - yes I'm not sure which of our gurus is  Alibaba is but the forty thieves we shipped down under quite some time ago  *smile* *smile* *smile*

Couldn't resist
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco