Author Topic: Help needed with A10 Carb problem!!  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Help needed with A10 Carb problem!!
« on: 03.04. 2009 20:32 »
Hi guys,  I'm sure that there is an easy answer to this one but I just can't get my head round it. *conf*

I've just got a CA10 engine fired up after a 5 year rest and it sounds beautiful....but...it will only run if I keep my finger on the tickler.

I knew it was a good runner before it was laid up so all I did to get it started was to clean the contact breakers and remove some crud from the monobloc carb.  There was some dirt in the bottom bowl under the main jet and some around the filter inside the banjo.  The float chamber was clean and there is no fuel in the float itself so that isn't punctured.  Also the plastic needle was allowing fuel through and then stopping the flow when I operated it manually by moving the float up and down.

After switching the fuel on and tickling the carb it fired up easily but only ran for 4 or 5 seconds and wouldn't fire up again until it was re-tickled.  Again the same thing happened and it cut out after a few seconds.  After doing this a few times I hit on the idea of keeping my finger on the tickler and it ran as sweet as a nut until I removed my finger and again it cut out a few seconds later.

Ok, those are the symptoms and I guess it must be something simple!!  I'm sure that there are a few carb Gurus on this forum so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers guys *smile*

Beezageezauk.   

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Help needed with A10 Carb problem!!
« Reply #1 on: 03.04. 2009 20:46 »
Geeza, it sounds like either a jet blockage or the needle has come loose.  Pull your jet block out and make sure you can see through the main jet.  Also make sure the needle moves up and down.  Finally, pull your pilot jet and mixture screw and spray some carb cleaner in there.

good luck.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.04. 2009 23:31 »
It sounds like a blockage in the pilot circuit. You will probably have to dismantle the carby and clean out the small holes in the throat of the carby as well as the pilot jet.
I just had the same problem with a type 276 carby and it was a blocked pilot jet in the jet block.
Trev.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 10.04. 2009 19:05 »
Many thanks to Beezalex and Trevinoz for your replies.  The problem was indeed caused by dirt in the Pilot Jet and surrounding areas.  I ended up stripping the carb down and blowing everything out with compressed air.  The engine now runs as sweet as a nut.
Thanks again guys.
Beezageezauk. *smile*