Author Topic: Maiden voyage tonight  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
Maiden voyage tonight
« on: 06.08. 2015 10:50 »
Gents

Just a quick note to thank those of you that have helped me so far with my 'jumping in at the deep end' approach to bike ownership.

For those that don't know I've been doing what's called the 'direct access' course in the UK, which is a fairly involved process of three bike tests and one theory test - at the end of which point you're allowed a bike licence (without restriction). The day before yesterday I passed. That means I can now ride the very beautiful A10 that I bought from my stepfather in law back in May.

Many of  you have helped me along the way so far, and I'm sure I'll rely on you again in future - so thanks and thanks in advance!

Indicators are fitted and work, tyres are inflated to correct pressure, oil is replaced from the inevitable 'puppy puddle' caused by being stood for too long, brakes are checked, bike is starting and running well.... it's just a case now of re-learning how to change gear and stop the 'other way round' and I should be good to go.

Today I am meant to be working but I foresee regular trips out to the garage to stare admiringly at my beautiful bike. 17:30 on the dot I will be out there.

I'll let you know how things go!

Cheers

Sam

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Maiden voyage tonight
« Reply #1 on: 06.08. 2015 10:59 »
Great to hear Sam, best of luck.
I remember that feeling.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 06.08. 2015 11:03 »
So Sam how did it go we're all in ..suspence here waiting ...  *dunno2* Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.08. 2015 11:52 »
I passed.

Well done
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.08. 2015 12:11 »

it's just a case now of re-learning how to change gear and stop the 'other way round' and I should be good to go.

If it's any consolation, in advance, I constantly forget which bike I'm riding (kinda), and the brake pedal doesn't make it go faster- whether I pull it up or down, same as the gears lever doesn't make it stop quicker- no matter which way or how hard I heave..... *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.08. 2015 13:54 »
Good luck and have a all round great time.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 06.08. 2015 14:09 »
Excellent reading! Congrats, May the miles be with you.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 06.08. 2015 14:38 »
Right.

I couldn't wait any longer - just spent 30 nerve racking but very fun minutes pootling around the roads and lane around my house.

Basically: it's harder than I expected. Not sure what my battle plan is yet but while handling and manouvring is absolutely fine, there are specific things that are like starting all over. Didn't quite expect yet another steep learning curve to deal with at this late stage.... but there's only one way to deal with that isn't there?

I must remember: right foot is not the brake. When you stop it's not the left foot that you put down.... and the front break won't really stop you that effectively all by itself! I also need to work out what I'm going to do when I inevitably stall it at junctions since I can't start it without putting it on a stand at the moment!

So many brilliant ways to look like a ****

BUT GOD DOES IT SOUND AND LOOK RIGHT

Fun fun fun (so long as you don't mind looking like  a **** quite often).

**** edited due to possible interpretation\misunderstanding
adm

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 06.08. 2015 15:36 »
Well done ,on my first time out on my then plunger A10 outfit I nearly demolished a wall just missed but that was due to the sidecar wheel lifting you'll not have to worry about that ! You'll sort out the feet but just enjoy  how well planted it feels and the confidence will follow. re the brake another thing different to ricerockets is engine breaking just experiment for yourself, nice straight road ,nothing behind, apply brakes and drop a gear and then later 2 ,it will make a hell of difference . Don't worry about the stalling just waddle over to the side of the road and do what is best for you, with my gammy knee I have to start mine on a stand arguably it make you stall less

BUT GOD DOES IT SOUND AND LOOK RIGHT

sums it up nicely , these beauties just have a smile factor that is unbelievable , ride safe and enjoy, Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 06.08. 2015 15:54 »
Excellent.

I folded up the RH exhaust down tube on the rear bumper of a Capri out 'ackney way treading all over the gear lever to no great effect back in the day - not so long after I'd graduated from my little Honda.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #10 on: 06.08. 2015 20:36 »
When you stop it's not the left foot that you put down

I always put down my left foot, put it in neutral and use the hand brake just before stopping.
Easier to put it back in first when you have your left foot down.*smile*
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 06.08. 2015 22:43 »
When you stop it's not the left foot that you put down

I always put down my left foot, put it in neutral and use the hand brake just before stopping.
Easier to put it back in first when you have your left foot down.*smile*

I agree with Johnny, the best is to be in neutral befor stopping.

BSA oh yeah bastard stall again  *eek*

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 06.08. 2015 23:15 »

I forgot to congratulate you too Sam, so that to you.  I've also forgotten which model it is? Unless it's a Rocket, it's not rocket science and you'll work it out fairly quickly as I've mooted, I think I do it different each time anyway. .. Keep enjoying *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 07.08. 2015 06:35 »
Well done Sam, it sounds like you're having fun and that's what it's about. Enjoy getting to know your first A10 and perhaps you'll find you need another one. Then all those 'firsts' can be replayed.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 07.08. 2015 14:58 »
Thanks for all the words of encouragement gentlemen - appreciated.

Last night was brilliant: only about 20 miles, and taken at a very leisurely pace, but in perfect dry, sunny conditions I got to have my first experience of what the bike is really like. And I love it.

You're all used to this, but having gone from a modern Honda (circa 55bhp) for all my lessons and test, with a lot of back up practice on a cheap Chinese 125cc (circa 5 bhp it feels like), to a A10 Golden Flash (God knows what bhp after all these years: 25ish?) it's a totally different experience.

To me it sort of feels like one long controlled explosion. The noise, the smell, the rattles.... it's just amazing. I couldn't have asked for more.

I literally can't stop smiling the whole time. Fortunately I don't have an open face helmet otherwise I'd look a total lunatic to anyone heading in the opposite direction.

And did I mention the noise? I LIKE THE NOISE. I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THE NOISE.

A wonderful piece of history that I will treasure and, more importantly, is going to get used and used and used. Just like it should be. It's cost me every penny I have to get to this point, but I'd spend it twice over. What life is about.

Anyway: just thought I'd share !