Author Topic: So far - with your help - so good!  (Read 1193 times)

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
So far - with your help - so good!
« on: 01.08. 2015 20:54 »
By way of a rather lame 'thank you' here's a couple of pictures of what we (you all and I) have achieved so far in the past few years.

These two A10s took us (one son and me) on a very enjoyable 40 mile 'running in' ride this morning.

There's still more to do (doesn't that sound familiar?), including chasing down a few more oil leaks, sorting some jumping out of first gear and fitting a repainted 4 gallon tank to the SR.  To emphasize the positive, the panniers (thank you Billybream) not only look the part but also offer a substantial load capacity for a forthcoming trip to France.

A third bike, as in the avatar, was bought more or less 'as is'.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: So far - with your help - so good!
« Reply #1 on: 01.08. 2015 23:28 »
Nothing lame about photos! Its all BSA nrop; the Alloy tank, the 190mm brake and what I'm assuming are Craven's. *good3*

Would like to see the rack without the panniers, I have considered inflicting some form of carrier on one of mine as their so d@#n useful.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 02.08. 2015 05:41 »
The Craven 'W' rack and Dolomite panniers arrived as a pile of parts, a bit like a jigsaw but without the helpful picture on the box lid to guide reassembly.  And like many good jigsaws there were a couple of bits missing.  I've tried to think like Ken Craven might have done and used the parts in the best way I could think of to transfer the load to stronger parts of the frame and fittings.  After staring for what seemed like hours wondering how best to complete the fit I resorted to modifying a few of the stays and to making up a couple of extras.

The first picture shows the general arrangement while the second tries to show how a saddle-like brace (from my parts bin not part of the kit that arrived with the panniers) across the top of the mudguard provides the forward pair of rack mounting points.  That brace also meant raising the seat 1/2" but only because the mudguard had two convenient holes already drilled, which were too good an opportunity to waste.

The A10 is less well suited to this type of arrangement than the later A65, which has a strong frame loop to carry the dual seat that can be used to good effect.  On the A10 there is little option but to transfer some load through the rear mudguard and its stays.  The arrangement almost inevitably ends up imitating the Forth (rail) Bridge!

Out on the road the system seems stable enough but load testing is still in progress.  A static load test on the rack (I sat on it with the bike on the centre stand) was encouraging.  I think a few parts/tools and the odd few clothes etc. won't be too much of a strain.

Still to do - strip, clean and re-paint the rack and stays, replace the fasteners with stainless ones and replace the missing lock on each pannier.
Terry

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.08. 2015 05:53 »
Thanks for that, I think you've manage to put me off for the time being!
I'd seen a photo of a rocket 3 with a craven top box and it seems to have similar issues, although was hard to tell exactly.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 02.08. 2015 06:03 »
That's a Craven 'L' rack, I think, and there's a Dzus quick release fitting for a pannier on the diagonal footrest stay.  I had the same on my A65 years ago, with a pair of Dolomite panniers too. The panniers hide the mess of fittings, which are a necessary means to an end.
Terry

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 02.08. 2015 07:21 »
G'day Terry.
A good feeling isn't it. That first few miles.
What's that protruding forward of the carb on the RGS? And something strange going on over the timing side.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.08. 2015 08:31 »
G'day Terry.
A good feeling isn't it. That first few miles.
What's that protruding forward of the carb on the RGS? And something strange going on over the timing side.
Cheers
I think that's a fuel line and a trick of the light on the carb fuel deflector
New Zealand

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #7 on: 02.08. 2015 10:15 »
You're probably looking at the fuel lines, routed forward of the carb body and including a T-piece.  Pics below should clarify.

Terry

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 02.08. 2015 21:01 »
I'd better go to specsavers. Seeing as only one eye works do you think I'd look good in a monical.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 03.08. 2015 07:48 »
Hi Terry.
Glad it all worked out for you, have a great adventure with your lads and the A10,s in France.
Kind regards Billybream.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 03.08. 2015 20:25 »
Hello BB - No doubt there will be one or two stories to relate in a month or two.  Hope you're well!
Terry
Terry