Author Topic: new member intro  (Read 1071 times)

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
new member intro
« on: 19.07. 2015 12:28 »
Hello All,

Have been planning a trip to Europe this year with Wifey. she has just started a new job and can't get leave. Bugger!   My 85 year old Dad was up for a trip over there. (he's originally from  Latvia), so the Manx GP fitted in nicely with our dates. I needed transport while in the IOM, so have stuck my hand in pocket and bought a 1953 Golden Flash with Watsonian Sidecar attached.

The old man doesn't know about the outfit yet, but he's still spry and might enjoy being back on a bike. While not a practising motorcyclist these days, in his twenties, he used to commute on a WLA Harley between Broadford in Victoria, Australia and Uranquinty in New South Wales. He used to go home from work on the weekends. A round trip of some 700 Kilometres, so I think he may be a harder bloke than I give him credit for.
My #2 son will meet up with us in the IOM while there, so hopefully look out for the three of us if you're there.
Our combined ages will come to 226 years. There's something.
Say Gidday if you come across us, regards, Markyboy64
Have bought this bike sight unseen, but you don't have much choice 12000 kays away.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: new member intro
« Reply #1 on: 19.07. 2015 12:51 »
Great intro. I really like your thinking with the outfit as Manx transport.
Welcome to the forum, the guy's are here if your purchase makes a bit of advice necessary. Let's hope not!
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 19.07. 2015 14:00 »
Welcome, thanks for the fine intro.

Have bought this bike sight unseen
If the bike should turn out to be only 1\2 as good as the picture suggests, looks like you've still got a great buy :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.07. 2015 18:12 »
Welcome!  *welcome* Love the bike and openly admit to envyimg the adventure. Those cumulative years must be metric years. With your dad at 85 and just saying you are 65 and your son 45, that adds up to 195.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.07. 2015 18:51 »
welcome markyboy64, great plan you've got there.
never mind the maths have a great trip
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.07. 2015 20:48 »
Wow - nice one. Looking real good. And have a great trip.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 19.07. 2015 20:56 »
G'day markyboy64, welcome to the forum.
As already said the bike looks great. Where abouts is it? Possibly close enough for a forum member to give it the once over.
I just got back from the TT, wish I had that to cruise around the Island. Are you shipping it back to Au?

Cheers

Richard, no mention of son #2's age so would calc to 31, then add the A10 = 288

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 20.07. 2015 01:58 »
Thought I might get some of you going with the calculations.  Over here in Oz we add the bike age as well.
Dad at 85, me at 55 ( Well, actually 55 on the last days racing), Junior at 24. Plus the bike ==== 226.

Yes, I hope all will be well with the bike.  The shop owner seems straight up. He noticed a weak spark and was having the Maggy rewound at his cost anyway. He appraised the carb as being worn, so I have gotten him to fit a new Monobloc to it. Plus a new sidecar tyre and a service. ( Knock, Knock, Knock on wood).
Will know more when we hit Manchester mid August..
P.s. Am

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 20.07. 2015 02:01 »
Don't know what happened there.
P.s. Am looking for a bike shop near Manchester that has a good range of helmets. Will be taking the other gear but don't want to lug helmets half way round the world before we get there. Any referrals ??

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 20.07. 2015 07:05 »
Hello markboy,
as well a wellcome at this forum from Germany.
Realy a great plan this family run to the IOM watching the MGP
A much impressive event, also exploring the island.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 20.07. 2015 16:28 »
Danke Klaus and Thank You others...
Will travel to Germany on our way back to Australia after IOM. Hoping to have enough time to visit Sinnsheim Museum near Heidelberg.
Google it if you have never heard of it !!

Also, before IOM would like to see Manchester Industrial Museum. ( I think that's its name).
Also will look at the Shackerstone Festival when we leave the Island and/or the Pairs Speedway at Kings Lynn Saturday night 5th Sep.
(Luv that Castrol R)  ;)
On the way back, we will go to northern Thailand for 10 days. Chiang Mai is my preferred spot in Thailand. I will be finishing off some dental implants that I had started there last Nov. Then hopefully a ride or two if I feel up to it. Have done several multi day rides up there and just love the place. The best roads which are sometimes all yours and sometimes everybody else's.  Keeps it interesting.
Yes, the outfit will be transported back to Australia after this trip. A Kiwi chap over here runs a company called "Get Routed". He takes bikes over to Europe and back for Aussies to do IOM and European riding holidays. He had space in his his container coming back, so this idea was nurtured along with that avenue being available to me.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 20.07. 2015 20:03 »
Sinnsheim Museum near Heidelberg.
Google it if you have never heard of it !!
I hadn't, so I did and now I have! Fantastic place; I'd like to go there.  *loveit*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 21.07. 2015 12:57 »
Good morning Markyboy , that idea of Musky is a goer if you are interested ,I'm in civilisation, over  in Liverpool, so not far from Mancland ,I've also had 2 A10 outfits ,1 plunger and a S/w arm so could give it the once over for you, if it would be of any help, just let me know and we'll sort it, BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #13 on: 21.07. 2015 20:48 »
Visited Sinnsheim and also Speyer several years ago - well worth the effort.  At the time, an aquaintance was exhibiting 3 very early Rolls Royce Phantoms brought back from India, where they had been used by maharajahs for tiger shooting!  Yes, I really mean that - presumably elephants were in short supply back then.  Sorry, nothing whatsoever to do with A10s.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline markyboy64

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 22.07. 2015 02:24 »
"The idea of Musky" has me stumped Topdad ?
I don't know what it's slang for ?  Mancland I'm imagining refers to Manchester.

Had a bit of heart start when the bike was road tested at the shop and ground to a halt shortly after. Turned out to be loose tappet nuts which allowed 2 pushrods to close up the clearances. All looks to be OK now.
Rewound Mag, New Carb, New Battery, New Sidecar Tyre, New Cables and a service should see it right.