Author Topic: new member, back into BSA  (Read 776 times)

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
new member, back into BSA
« on: 17.06. 2015 15:14 »
Thanks for the welcome to the forum, I have been getting good info from the forum for the last 6 months so it was about time I joined in.
after a break of 40yrs from riding Brit bikes (or any bikes for that matter) I have bought a 52 A7 plunger, a complete (well almost) example which has spent the last 20 odd years in a barn then via a dealer has come to me. The aim is to have a presentable, usable bike for fair weather outings, it will be far from mint but that is how I like them. This is my first post and I have attached a couple of photo's of the finds, a mouse in the vokes air filter (long dead) and a muddy mess behind the timing cover. I am loving it..... A 8' x 8' shed with lekky, woodburner, CD radio, and an A7 ....... Bliss..... Larry P.S. sorry about the pic quality, my saved pics were to large to upload, so screenshots.

mucky hands again, great!

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: new member, back into BSA
« Reply #1 on: 17.06. 2015 15:55 »
Welcome Larry, if you've been trailing us for 6 mths you'll have realised what a wealth of knowledge there is on this forum not to mention lots of good helpful guys. That's a real brew in the dynamo chain compartment ,whats the rest of the bike like? and is it a plunger or s/winging arm or even earlier model. best of luck with it , Bob ps where do you hail from  we're a nosey lot as well  *smile*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 17.06. 2015 16:48 »
I am loving it..... A 8' x 8' shed with lekky, woodburner, CD radio, and an A7 ....... Bliss.....
Great. Welcome aboard.

About pictures posting, info available in Forum Info & Help
Hint: Windows Snipping Tool makes great screenshots + small filesize.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.06. 2015 17:53 »
Larry,

Welcome! that was, indeed, a very good introduction. Gives some great mental images. The grunge in the dynamo chain case looks like a lot of others we've seen here that have been opened-up after so many years.

One question, what are your plans for the all the spare floor space in your shed? ;) *smile*

Richard L.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 18.06. 2015 00:41 »
Welcome Larry... 
Dont throw away the mouse... Theory is BSA put them in there from new to simulate a squeek to drive the rider mad..    *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.06. 2015 02:26 »
Very cool. What part of the world are you in? Hopefully there was enough grease in that primary case that things just need to be cleaned. If not, I, and I'm sure many others on the forum, probably have some useable parts to help you get her back on the road.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 18.06. 2015 09:49 »
Welcome Larry, if you've been trailing us for 6 mths you'll have realised what a wealth of knowledge there is on this forum not to mention lots of good helpful guys. That's a real brew in the dynamo chain compartment ,whats the rest of the bike like? and is it a plunger or s/winging arm or even earlier model. best of luck with it , Bob ps where do you hail from  we're a nosey lot as well  *smile*
Welcome Larry... 
Dont throw away the mouse... Theory is BSA put them in there from new to simulate a squeek to drive the rider mad..    *whistle*
Well I would install a CAT but I don't think they made them for 50's bikes, the mouse was recycled, can't remember which bin though.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 18.06. 2015 10:03 »
Larry,

Welcome! that was, indeed, a very good introduction. Gives some great mental images. The grunge in the dynamo chain case looks like a lot of others we've seen here that have been opened-up after so many years.

One question, what are your plans for the all the spare floor space in your shed? ;) *smile*

Richard L.
I think I will need to build skyward if I need to do anything else! but it is dry, warm in winter and it will do for now, regards Larry.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 18.06. 2015 10:10 »
I am loving it..... A 8' x 8' shed with lekky, woodburner, CD radio, and an A7 ....... Bliss.....
Great. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for that, I will give it a go, this is my first ever forum/member site, I am impressed with the help offered and the friendly way it is presented. Thanks, Larry.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 18.06. 2015 10:18 »
Great. Welcome aboard.

Hi Bob, thanks, I am from Burnley in Lancs, the A7 is a 52' plunger with matching no's. The engine needs a re-bore the big ends are shot as is the main bush, the engine is stripped, almost ready for the engineers shop. Frame is painted and bits being re-assembled now, the tin ware is pretty good. regards Larry.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 18.06. 2015 10:21 »
Welcome Larry... 
Welcome Larry... 
Well I would install a CAT but I don't think they made them for 50's bikes, the mouse was recycled, can't remember which bin though.
Hi WozzA, I am from Burnley in Lancashire, thanks for the message, Larry

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 18.06. 2015 12:29 »
Larry ,know Burnley quite well used to do some work for a local builder ,Sean Mcdermot, on his sites in Padiham and Pendle view. Out on the moors is great biker land ,I'm down the coast in Formby Liverpool ,there is a guy based in Ramsbottom and Stephen in preston so you're almost surrounded *whistle*. Where do you plan on sending the engine for its engineering work and don't forget the sludge trap in the crank. The plunger is a great engine very smooth and like all A10's pulls like a train from low down revs also you've got a great clutch when set up right , enjoy , Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 18.06. 2015 13:10 »
Hi Topdad, you are right, lovely country roads over the moors, I am looking forward to taking the 'A' and 'B' roads to Devils Bridge where plenty of bikers meet on a sunny Sunday afternoon. My other half is up for it too! so I am on the lookout for a pillion saddle not a pad, and a rear carrier. I am struggling to remove the sludge trap caps, 2 punch marks on each, I will read the forum threads.
I have been recommended Weir St garage in Blackburn and Stitchlock in Rochdale, thanks for the message, Larry