Author Topic: Hello from a complete newbie  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
Hello from a complete newbie
« on: 06.05. 2015 15:53 »
Hi all

I'm a total newbie to both bikes, and British bikes. But I'm taking the plunge and have bought my step father in law's beutiful A10 off him and begun the process of doing my Direct Access. This is a heart, not a head, decision!

I'm well aware I'm probably choosing a pretty difficult route into motorcycling, but life is for living.

As soon as I can I will attach an image of my bike. A beutiful A10 Golden Flash (1959).

I'm sure I'll be calling on you all for help over the coming months and years and hopefully eventually I'll be able to return the favour to other new users of the forum  *smiley4*

Right off the bat I've got a question about indicators which I fear may provoke a bit of tutting from purists: but do remember I'm completely new to this and want to be as safe as possible. Hand signals are going to be too much for me, at least to begin with. I'll put that in the electrics forum.

Cheers all

Sam

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Hello from a complete newbie
« Reply #1 on: 06.05. 2015 16:00 »
Thanks for the fine intro, and welcome aboard.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 06.05. 2015 16:03 »
Welcome to the forum. They are all good blokes here so ask away with any queries.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.05. 2015 16:53 »
Sam,

Welcome. You chose your first bike well. Your parents chose your name well, as Sam is also my son's name. We will, indeed enjoy contributing to your project. You will soon recognize the guru class here without them needing to be pointed out. I've been here since 2006 and still frequently call on help and moral support.

There were no stock turn signals for your 1959 A10 but there are all kinds of modern kits that can be fitted. I would look for a kit that didn't required drilling holes in tin-ware (though holes could eventually be patched if you wanted). Then there is voltage. Unless someone already made the change, your bike is 6 volt and it's almost a guarantee that all the modern signal kits are 12 volt. Making  the changeover is not really complicated and can be done with a minimal change of major parts. For example, you can keep your dynamo.

Let us know if you want directions to the directions.

Richard L.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.05. 2015 18:48 »
Welcome! This site might be useful for finding what you need.....
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyindicators.htm
I've bought from him several times in the past and always found him very helpful!

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 06.05. 2015 19:18 »
Thanks Uncle Rob. To repay you I will try to work out how to re-size some photos and get them up here!

Bear with me.

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.05. 2015 19:35 »
with a bit of luck, attached will be some rather nice photos my step-father in law took (who I bought this off). Fingers crossed.

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 06.05. 2015 19:36 »
And one I took, with a phone! Not so nice, but good enough.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 06.05. 2015 22:09 »
Hi and welcome. *welcome*
Great looking A 10 there. I started A10's about 4 years ago now, and it has been nothing but fun! I'm sure it will be the same for you.
I see yours came with the now rare but invaluable period accessory of the cardboard piece to put under the engine when parked! *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #9 on: 06.05. 2015 22:24 »
I see yours came with the now rare but invaluable period accessory of the cardboard piece to put under the engine when parked! *smile*
Looks like he also has the sought after paper mug (or is it the plastic yoghurt cup replica?) under the primary "leak hole".  *smile*
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.05. 2015 08:32 »
Hi Sam and welcome - handsome bike, looks like you've already given it some TLC
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 07.05. 2015 10:46 »
Mrris and Johnny j, ...Sam they're  referring to BSA's self oiling and anti rust mods,      *roll*  which were ground breaking or oiling back in the '60's, enjoy and welcome Sam, BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 07.05. 2015 11:47 »
G'day Sam,  *welcome* to the forum.
The good thing about being a newbie to bikes is you haven't been tainted by those other inferior makes *whistle*.
And your bike only likes to mark it's spot. "They all do that, Sir"
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #13 on: 07.05. 2015 19:11 »
Hi Sam. A mate of mine has got 6v indicators, basically all ripped off an MZ. Unless you use your bike a lot and keep the battery topped up the 6v indicators are not very good. They flash dim and slow. I would recommend a 12v conversion; the lights are much better all round and the indicators work as they should. The best arrangement I have used is to change the armature and field coil in your dynamo to 12v and hook it up to a DVR2 regulator. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to get in touch. Electrics are my business!

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 08.05. 2015 02:58 »
Hello and welcome. I'm sure you'll find this forum a wealth of helpful information, as have I. I must say, though, I am terribly jealous! My first bike was a Honda 50, followed by a Zundapp Super Sabre then a Honda 305 Super Hawk. And you start with an A10????? I've been riding since 1969 and I'm having to build one from parts to get my first A10 ride ever!