Author Topic: my first BSA. 53 A10 Gold flash NZ  (Read 701 times)

Offline Shane69

• Active
  • 1953 A10 Gold-Fash plunger, 62 5TA Triumph
my first BSA. 53 A10 Gold flash NZ
« on: 08.04. 2015 02:38 »
53 A10 plunger  - loven it !   bart........ only had it four days and lost the gear lever   *eek*   aswell as that  no electrics working, clutch slips, and leaking oil from the dynamo seal and the speedo cable insert......however......... magneto - starts 1 - 4 kicks every time so far, engine sounds smooth and gears change sweetly. also have a 62 5t triumph in Rarotonga.  glad to be on this site    ;)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: my first BSA. 53 A10 Gold flash NZ
« Reply #1 on: 08.04. 2015 04:13 »
Shane,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you got around to an introduction because parts inquiries, alone, don't get folks fired up, but your enjoyment of the bike does. Looking forward to some pictures when you get a chance. There will be a lot of help here, should you need it. My own piece of advice is to think of each of the things going on individually, so as not to be boggled by too much at once. Gear lever first, of course, so you can keep riding. Aftermarket gear levers are available at a variety of places. Here is one that was easily found: http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/bsa-gear-change-lever-42-3017.htm

Richard L.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 08.04. 2015 11:11 »
Shane, welcome to this fine forum. We are spread all round the world and from my limited experience the world must be covered in bits of BSA's ! My first plunger shed gearlevers quite regularly and always in the dark miles from home, used to carry a set of molegrips in the pocket of my Belstaff. On the plus side always got home so can't really complain. My present s/arm model has only shed one lever and that was really on it's shake down ride ,got home with a very hot clutch but no further problems . Since then I have a thin nylon string attached to the lever and hey presto has never loosened again. Anyway good choice of bike ,loved my plunger ,you'll get the other stuff sorted without to much effort then enjoy, best of luck BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 08.04. 2015 11:53 »
G'day Shane  *welcome*
 "no electrics working, clutch slips, and leaking oil from the dynamo seal and the speedo cable insert" They ALL do that Sir. ;)
I love my plunger and I'm sure you will yours. Only minor problems and as Richard said, one at a time.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.04. 2015 13:55 »

no electrics working, clutch slips, and leaking oil from the dynamo seal and the speedo cable insert

g'day Shano, sounds like you got a goodun *smile*..didja try backtracking to the last place you changed gears-  never know...?? would have to be between there and when you noticed.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, had to go in the timing cover for a looksee, and even though I intended to leave replacing the shifter until last(and do it properly), I had to put it on temporarily to change into/out of gear.... *bash*...moral of- if you need to put it on temporarily, put it so it's not in a good position...but lucky it fell off when I slipped into first to leave the shops, and when I went for second, something was missing- didn't feel right, just a gap but couldn't put a finger on it (or a foot)
 I'm also thinking, if you got really stuck far from home, maybe it's possible to use the brake pedal in its place (same spline)...might look a bit dodgy, but who cares... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 10.04. 2015 22:14 »
Shane,
 post some pictures! I've sent you a PM. if you need any help let me know and the BSAOC club meetings in Northcote each month are worth the journey.
Welcome to the forum
Dont forget the Hamilton swapmeet is tomorrow
Cheers
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand