Author Topic: New member, new A10  (Read 1372 times)

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
New member, new A10
« on: 30.03. 2015 21:13 »
Good evening from Faversham, Kent, UK. After a long time saving, have just bought my first BSA, a 1960 Super Rocket in Rocket Gold Star trim. I have owned and run my 1965 Enfield Continental GT since I was 17 in the 1970s and decided I needed something with a little, ok a lot, more oomph. A few minor issues to sort out, but it changes gear smoothly and even more surprising to a Royal Enfield owner, doesn't leak oil. Not a whiff let alone a trickle. Not only that, it ticks over smoothly and twitters gloriously, So, 80 miles on the clock from engine rebuild so just another 900 or so to run it in gently.
I'll be attempting to get my head around the magneto, and will shortly be posting regarding help with the prop stand, which snapped off at the bracket and I'm puzzling how to get the old clamp off - it appears that the bracket was bolted on before the engine went back in. But more of that with a proper post.
You can see the stand still nicely in place in the picture I've just spent far too long working out how to resize.
Crispin Whiting

Offline Andreas Larsen

• A's Good Friend
Re: New member, new A10
« Reply #1 on: 30.03. 2015 21:35 »
Hello and welcome!  *welcome*

That is one fine looking bike, makes me want to go out in the garage and polish the side covers like a madman! Everyone on here will help you out with any problems you might encounter, remember the search function in the top right corner, you'll find a lot of useful posts on here. I hope you'll enjoy the bike!  *smile*

Andreas
'58 A10 swingarm

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 30.03. 2015 22:30 »
Nice bike Crispin, ask away ,you'll find anice bunch of guys world wide to help and have a laugh at the same time, no oil leaks , I may have a few questions myself , cheers from Liverpool , BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 30.03. 2015 23:08 »
She's a beauty Crispin  *smile*

Welcome

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 30.03. 2015 23:33 »
wow, looking great indeed. Thanks for the fine intro post & welcome.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.03. 2015 23:48 »
Well, Crispin, it looks like when you set your mind to getting something you pick a good one. If she runs reliably or repairably you have a real winner. Regarding the "Search" function, I think the one underneath the picture of Erling riding his plunger in Norway (*smile*) is the one you want to use.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 31.03. 2015 02:27 »
G'day Crispin, welcome aboard.
VVVVery nice bike mate. A big step up from a Royal Oilfield. Did you do the resto and rebuild?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 31.03. 2015 06:24 »
Yes ... she's a lovely example ...  you'll be happy with that 4 many years. & welcome to the forum.

one thing bothers me though..  you said
 " she doesn't leak oil. Not a whiff let alone a trickle"
 *whistle*  are you SURE there's any oil in her?   *conf2*   *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 31.03. 2015 10:27 »
Hi, and welcome! Looks like whoever built it did a good job, you don't see that many replicas where the builder went to the trouble of fitting the proper footrests...and a 190 front brake! Best not to say too much about oil leaks though....you know what they say about tempting fate!

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 31.03. 2015 10:53 »
Very nice bike. You will find all the guys on this site are most helpful.
Wishing you many miles of happy riding!
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
« Reply #10 on: 01.04. 2015 19:07 »
Many thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll be picking BSA brains all over the globe as the last time I rode or mended an A10 was when I was 15 and we spent a long summer thrashing an old Gold Flash (five quid and a packet of Woodbines) round a field in South Darenth.
Just spent an hour hacking round the lanes on my new machine and am still deeply impressed. It still doesn't leak oil, and yes, I have checked to make sure there's some in the tank - golden green and deliciously viscous and right up to the level line. No idea what it is though. Might be straight 30, although as the engine has had a complete rebuild I might switch to multigrade at the 300 mile change on the grounds that there should be no crud for modern detergents to release.
I can search the threads for advice on that.
Clubman's clip-ons (ace bars)  are a bit uncomfortable, but I do have a pair of original DB34 bars which came with the bike. I've always been happy with the clip-ons on my Enfield, so might give them a try. Might even buy a new crash helmet as well. I'm still using the Everoak Racemaster and goggles I bought in 1975 for £4/7/6d at the Schweizo Bros closing down sale in Dartford, so probably time to upgrade.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 02.04. 2015 11:22 »
Hi Crispin, one thing we dread here is an oil thread 'cos they slide on and on... ( sorry couldn't resist  *shh* ) Very many thoughts re oil in these machines. The oil system is quite basic, consisting only of a gauze strainer on the sump plate and another around the feed into the oil tank . In the crank there is a sludge trap designed to collect any harmfull bits of debris .it works by centrifugal force and the type of oil ,straight mono doesn't keep the crap in suspension so drops it there whereas multi grade is designed to carry the crap round to be cleansed by that systems filter,which we don't have ,in standard trim. So if you go to multi you need a filter plumbed in ,many posts showing this done or if you stick with mono clean the gauzes regularly and change the every 1000-2000 miles at least , hope that helps and I'm sure any things I've cocked up on will be explained fully by someone else, best wishes Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 02.04. 2015 17:59 »
I'll go with exactly what Topdad has said.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 02.04. 2015 18:08 »
Just a thought Crispin since you're close, theres a classic jumble in Ashford this Monday....you might find a replacement sidestand...

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 02.04. 2015 18:29 »
Hi Crispin, I'm a bit late with the welcome  but agree with all the comments re the bike - nice one
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco