Author Topic: A10 rebuild  (Read 1913 times)

Offline taylor1960

• If it ant broke dont fix it
  • Moving Up
  • If it ant broken dont fix it
Re: A10 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: 01.05. 2015 18:55 »
Hi a bit like my project I'm starting to get some paint on now and ready for assembly but my engine still in bits good luck  *smile*
1960 BSA A10
1999 Honda CB 500
1978 Can-Am Bomardier

Offline bakerlonglegs

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 05.10. 2015 22:02 »
Hello hello, time for an update.

Nothing in the way of pics to show yet, most of the bike is elsewhere, but there will be lots of pics once the rebuild starts.  The following has been going on:

The dynamo has been serviced and sorted, and the mag replaced with a reconditioned unit (it was badly knocked about and the wrong model anyway), by Priory Magnetos (Beezermacc on here), good job, very pleased with the results. 

The engine work is underway at T&L Engineering in Bedford.  There's a hell of a lot to do, but so far the inner timing case has shown up as the only major part that's complete scrap.  However, I am going to go the SRM route with a replacement oil pump.

Priory Magnetos are also sorting out all the parts for the rebuild.  The first batch of engine parts arrived last week, he's been very helpful advising on what to go for and has been able to supply all the bits I need, and at very reasonable prices too.  Recommended  *smile* .

The wheels are being sorted by Anglia Wheels. I spent ages reading up about tyre recommendations, but in the end went with a Mitas H-01/H-02 combination.  Hopefully they will be a good combination of classic looks with slightly more modern road holding.

I've started stripping the suspension down - the plunger units are absolutely caked in grease, more to find out on the forks. 

The next steps for me are cleaning all the gunge off the tinware, frame and suspension parts to work out what to paint/coat and what to replace.  After that, I'm going to have a go at stripping my first gearbox, I may need your help….  *pull hair out*

I'll keep y'all posted.

*beer*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 05.10. 2015 22:09 »
I'm envious; I miss the time I spent working on my bike!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: 06.10. 2015 12:14 »
The wheels are being sorted by Anglia Wheels. I spent ages reading up about tyre recommendations, but in the end went with a Mitas H-01/H-02 combination.  Hopefully they will be a good combination of classic looks with slightly more modern road holding.

Can recommend them. Have them on both. They just need to be kept well pumped up (30-35 psi minimum)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium