Author Topic: selling  (Read 1356 times)

Offline townsends20

• A's Good Friend
selling
« on: 02.03. 2015 10:39 »
Hi all I need some advice on selling my bike it is a very early 62 genuine rgs with matching numbers and original London reg. only done 1000 miles since complete rebuild. Since mayor heart op I have hardly used it  as I have gone on to something a bit more friendly, she is sitting at home like a prisoner I never did intend to sell it as it is the best bike I have ever had, *sad2* what I don't want is silly people and tyre kickers so what do you think? I could use the bike magazines, ebay, or auction, :! it has been valued at £18 to £20k  at the moment I am kicking my heels but I need to move on as I can’t work anymore and need to pay the mortgage off. It has been inspected by the Gold star owners club and I have all the history.  Steve
1962 rgs

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: selling
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2015 11:57 »
Beautiful Bike Steve, think I speak for everyone here in saying we feel for you, a hard decision to make but in the circumstances understandable and correct.

Having made the decision you now have to maximize your return, my one suggestion would be to change the fuel tank, the present tank would sell so offsetting the purchase of a RGS tank with those iconic big badges which would be more than covered in an increased asking price.

As for a price the Goldie and RGS lads here will have a much better idea than I - good luck with it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2015 14:22 »
A stunningly nice sight + the historics intact, if I had the money available I'd make a very good offer!

About the sale, sometimes in life "one has to do what needs to be done", if the circumstances are there then go ahead with no regret, wishing you a great price.

Ebay with a quite high reserve? & if not sold it will give a feeling for what the market value may be.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02.03. 2015 14:39 »
I've sold several bikes and many parts (about which I had no idea of the price) using EBay auctions. Take seller fees into account and set your reserve so that you'd be happy, then let the market decide. In most all cases I've gotten far more than I'd have asked at a set price sale. Guess I just don't always know what I've got. I too once had to sell I bike to make ends meet. Gotta do what you gotta do..............

Offline townsends20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 02.03. 2015 14:46 »
Hi Bill
 Ok looking back at in March 82 Classic bike it tells us that the rgs came with three tank options a 2-gallon US market type, a 5-gallon alloy racing tank made by Lyta and the most commonly seen 4-gallon type. All are as the Gold Star.
  As far as I know this tank has always been on the bike as the last owner had it from new ( the bike that is) he died 10 years ago. We are good friends of the family and they always remember it as it is now.
 This bike is one of the earliest being GA10116
You might also notice that the front mudguard is wrong in the photo  that has since been put right.
1962 rgs

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.03. 2015 16:21 »
Thanks for that Steve, the tank thing I was unaware of so probably makes it a bit more sellable
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 02.03. 2015 16:38 »
I think I might have commented in the past that that is a beautiful motorcycle. I know selling it must not be the move you would have chosen, but putting your health first is the right choice, and we all hope you are doing well. After the bike is gone, please still consider yourself part of this forum community and stay in touch occasionally.

Regards,

Richard L.

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #7 on: 02.03. 2015 16:41 »
Perhaps carandclassic.co.uk is the place.  It costs nothing to advertise and it seems to be where real enthusiasts look. I'd say it's a bit more up market than the popular auction sites and it's where I would start.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.03. 2015 09:48 »
Terryg has a good point here. I've tended to find eBay a fickle beast and rarely done well selling bikes through there.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.03. 2015 10:46 »
you can do both of course, just put a rider on Ebay to the fact it's advertised elsewhere and could be withdrawn - might even be an advantage
All the best - Bill

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 03.03. 2015 12:28 »
Forgive me for asking but is that the way the tacho drive cable should be connected?  I have always thought the externally metal sheathed end would go at the bottom, where it's hot.

BTW - a very nice looking bike.  All the right bits and shiny too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline townsends20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 03.03. 2015 13:54 »
Hi Terry
  You are the first person that has pointed that out and you are right! I see that now *red* I will see if it will go on the other way, it is the original and there might be a reason I think maybe the outer is on the wrong way, that is the inner is in the right way but the wrong way in the outer!!!!!!!!!!! thanks mate gotter get it right. *lol*
   Steve 
1962 rgs

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 03.03. 2015 19:23 »
you could consider the bonhams auctions bikes like yours attract interest from all over the world and they do bring huge sums of money you can put a reserve price but there fees are high  i think the next sale is coming up soon its in the free motorcycle monthly good luck its sad to part with things but like everything in this world your just looking after it and your health and peace of mind come first i went to a recent bonhams sale at harrogate and the prices were very high

Offline townsends20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 10.03. 2015 11:22 »
Hi all thanks for all your advice and now my bike is on  carandclassic.co.uk ref. C591875 just in case any have a rich uncle *respect* i did consider auction but i would sooner the bike stays here besides i am in no hurry, although she doesn't like being in prison i shall take her out on parole next good day to cheer us both up as i can't keep on saying sorry to her every time i wheel my Yamaha past her.
  Anyway before i start crying  *cry* thanks again. i will keep you posted.
  Steve
1962 rgs

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 10.03. 2015 11:55 »
I see you have prospective buyer giving it  the once over Steve - maybe thinks it's a rat bike  *smile*

All the best - Bill