Author Topic: centerstand  (Read 925 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
centerstand
« on: 03.02. 2015 02:17 »
If it ain't one thing it's another............  Got one centerstand and one frame with my parts haul, so optimistically figured they go together.  Centerstand fit frame and supports it fine, so ordered a spring for it. No way am I going to stretch that spring that tight. Guess I'll see if there's a casting number on the stand to figure what it's' supposed to fit, then either try to find the correct one or else find a much larger spring.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: centerstand
« Reply #1 on: 03.02. 2015 09:09 »
looks a bit of a stretch which they actually are, someone might have a spring spare or one off their bike to measure for you to make sure you have the right one.
The stand looks a little odd but not that much - again someone might provide some dimensions, sorry I'm booked up with domestic stuff today or I'd pop down the shed and do it.
another alternative would be to relocate the peg on the centre stand, but first I'd be sure that it is indeed wrong, they do take a heck of a pull to get on, many use a spring hook
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 03.02. 2015 09:28 »
Hi JB,

I agree with Bill but to add to his comments, I've always found it easier to remove the stand, attach the spring to both ends, then force the stand into position before inserting the pivot rod. 

On the face of it this seems to be a lot more work but I find it much quicker (and safer) in the long run to do it this way.

I also thought that your stand didn't look quite right but then it's maybe just be the angle at which the picture was taken giving it a bit of an optical illusion.

To enable you to check yours out my centre stand measurements are as follows:-

8 1/2"       floor to centre of pivot mounting

6 1/2"       floor to centre of bracing bar

3 3/4"       floor to spring hook on stand

5 1/4"       free length of spring.

The spring length was taken from an old second hand spring that was in the shed but I'm pretty much positive it was an original that I replaced years ago.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 03.02. 2015 19:24 »
where is the kickdownlever? without welding one on you will have a major problem placing the stand an rolling the bike to place it.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 03.02. 2015 20:28 »
There are 2 versions of the late stand. One with and one without the extension. The one without is good for 2-1 exhausts, for which the l/h extension is unnecessary (and an unsightly nuisance).
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 07.02. 2015 22:09 »
hi terry, i never knew that fact but my stand has been modified with a kickdown on the rhs. it feels odd putting it on the stand via the rhs but i cannot imagine trying to pull the old girl up [my back not the bike] without one.

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #6 on: 07.02. 2015 23:11 »
Hi Edboy - you're right about difficulty pulling the bike onto the stand without the extension. I don't have the handle that is often seen close to the top of the shock either. It's a 'knack' that is easily forgotten.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.02. 2015 09:51 »
It's a 'knack' that is easily forgotten.
Your spot on with that terryg. when I was in me teens and 10.5 stone wet through I could haul it up with the rear mudguard stay no problem
now in me twilight years and 84 kg whatever that means I need a long period of zen and a run up
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.02. 2015 12:58 »
I hate having to use the centre stand and avoid it as far as possible.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 08.02. 2015 14:31 »
Having battled with my plunger frame centre stand spring recently (Very different to the one you have) I had a load of fun putting one end of the spring in a vice, twisting the other end down and popping washers in the expansions between the coil springs... then same on the other side after turning it over.  Saw the idea somewhere here on this website... yes it has an element of danger... so does riding a bike.  *smile*
HTH.