Author Topic: Can you identify my Bsa 500 cc twin marked as shooting star  (Read 1120 times)

Offline cliffj

• Active
So hope someone can throw some light on a BSA shooting star I have bought , It has chrome mudguards , a single speedo , chrome headlight with amp gauge , tank is chrome on the sides but been painted blue in the centre . Frame number : CA7 2808 , engine no is @ CA7 2317. side panels are black, and it has a swing arm  .

What I need to know is that the log book says 1960 but all the images I have seen has coloured mudguards and the speedo in the headlight ,is this a shooting star ?

Many thanks

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
I believe he is Mr. Britton Samuel Armsted, late of Birmingham, England.  *smile*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Cliff  *welcome*
 By the numbers she's a 55/56. The SS has an alloy head with engine # CA7SS.****.
A few pics will help.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cliffj

• Active
Thanks for the info I have photos but cant upload as too big in size , its not a ss.

Cheers

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Sorry, I misunderstood.   *smile*

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
cant upload as too big in size
Easy to change them into an adequate file size for use on pc display, see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=427.0 for some info. And literally 100's of programs available that will resize large picture files. Need help, post in http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=15.0

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

beezermacc

Hi Cliff. According to the engine and frame numbers and the info I have your frame was manufactured in 1954, one of the first of the swinging arm models, the engine is '55. It is highly unlikely that the engine and frame started life together. However BSA used the same frame prefix 'CA7' for all the twin models at that time so there is no knowing which model it started life as and could even have been one of the 650 cc models. The CA7 prefix on the engine denotes the standard A7 twin model, not the Shooting Star which would have had an alloy head ( as stated by Musky). If yours has an alloy head then somebody has swiped that off a Shooting Star and fitted it to your engine. The colour scheme and chrome mudguards are likely to be the consequence of a previous owner's whim. Chrome mudguards were only fitted to some of the export models and I suspect yours has had Gold Star type guards fitted which is easy to do and make the bike look a bit sportier. There are a number of reasons why the bike might have a 1960 logbook, maybe it was exported and reimported, DVLA at Swansea are not very good at making such information clear. If you want to confirm the history you need to get in touch with the BSA Owners Club or visit the VMCC library.