Author Topic: progress report  (Read 747 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
progress report
« on: 10.12. 2014 13:15 »
Crankshaft clean, cases clean, rods polished, frame painted, seat pan bead blasted and painted. Making progress, but kind of tough to get around in the shop this time of year. Wife wants to park a car in the garage rather than clean the snow and frost off in the mornings, so I agreed and put everything in the shop to accomodate her. I either need more storage or fewer vehicles. Actually, both the Triumphs, the Harley, the MG, and maybe the VW camper will be up for sale come spring assuming I get them all ready, and there is only one more car waiting outside to be restored (Triumph GT6). So if I don't buy any more project cars I may get some room in here.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: progress report
« Reply #1 on: 10.12. 2014 18:57 »
G'day mate. Throw the Trihards in the VeeDub outside.
Are those MC forged pistons I see? If they are they have an offset gudgeon hole (racing tweak) and MUST go in the right way.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 10.12. 2014 19:40 »
I'm not really sure about those pistons. They're extras that may wind up being sold. They are stamped to identify front side. I'll have to look and see if I can determine whether they are cast or forged.  I have a new set with a barrel that appears to have new sleeves and another set that supposedly only has about 200 miles on it with matching barrels and a nice set of lifters. I expect those are the sets I will use for the two engines I've got.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.12. 2014 20:20 »
Are you trying to get 10:1 compression ratio? I hope you don't have any knee issues.

Richard L.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 10.12. 2014 20:26 »
Wife wants to park a car in the garage rather than clean the snow and frost off in the mornings   *eek* 

Tell her the bikes STAY where they are....  or...   you'll move them to the lounge room...   *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.12. 2014 12:05 »
The new in the box pistons are 9:1. Still in the box (Hepolite). Interestingly, the box says Ariel and they have no valve cutouts, but I looked them up on the Hepolite website and the part number matches what they list for A10. I think I remember someone saying they are the same on the A10 and the Ariel twin. The used ones have a lower crown, I'm guessing they are 8:1, which might be a good thing with today's fuel.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #6 on: 11.12. 2014 19:09 »
Wife wants to park a car in the garage rather than clean the snow and frost off in the mornings   *eek* 

Tell her the bikes STAY where they are....  or...   you'll move them to the lounge room...   *whistle*
  How totally inconsiderate of her, Infringing on your motorcycle work space ! ! ! !
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 12.12. 2014 00:51 »
Muskrat, I checked out those pistons. Gudgeon pins are centered, and looking at the underside, I'm sure they are castings.