Author Topic: Front engine mount  (Read 1264 times)

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Front engine mount
« on: 11.11. 2014 15:33 »
Does anyone have some ideas on the successful way to leave paint on the RH front engine mount (around the Generator) and yet get it into place? i'd recon there is a simple knack, but at present I can't see how to thread this lil needle. Um yes, I don't have the generator in situ. My Guess is to undo the other engine mounting points and start with this one?? But I am sure others have done this a lot more often than I have and a lot more successfully. Thanks.  ;)

Gavin

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Front engine mount
« Reply #1 on: 11.11. 2014 18:18 »
Hi Gav, I have been struggling with it to but found that there's only one way and that's to fix it loosely to the engine outside of the frame and then mount engine and support together.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.11. 2014 20:47 »
i also had the same problems with that bit,I gave up in the end and brought one of those paint in a stick things which look like a felt tip marker only with paint in them .

I will also luck forward to any tips given on the forum.
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.11. 2014 06:02 »
Morris got it. Attach engine plate to motor first.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 12.11. 2014 07:44 »
I've no simple answer, having suffered the same issue, but there are a lot of chromed front engine mounts around.  Perhaps as a way of avoiding the paint chipping as well as looking, to some eyes, more attractive.  Personally I prefer the black look.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.11. 2014 09:23 »

From memory, I think it's best to attach the R/H plate only, and it goes in ok, then the L/H plate goes in fairly easy- kinda like the reverse of pulling it out...don't forget the spacer between the downtubes
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 12.11. 2014 15:19 »
It may not have been the textbook way to get a motor in a frame, but some time back Orabanda suggested that I rest the engine on its side and place the frame over it and bolt them together. It was a brilliant paint (powder coat) preserving, skin remaining on knuckles and arms not aching method of getting the job done. Thanks Orabanda. However, I just didn't think to attach the right hand engine mounting.

So tonight I removed all bolts and as per the photo, spread the frame a little to ease the motor up, slight pike, double back flip n twist of the motor all within the confines of the now upright frame and in slipped the omitted mounting bracket. So there's one fairly happy assembly ticking slowly along.

Thanks again for your ideas, thoughts and interest. Very often I find one comment here n there on this excellent forum gets the brain working on a related line and a work around happens.  *smiley4*

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 12.11. 2014 15:59 »
Thats all looking bloody clean Gavin full marks for the prep ,it's gonner look good methinks BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 28.11. 2014 06:05 »
On the swinging arm frame I always fit the engine without the front plates and fit them later.

Trev.