Author Topic: Contacts  (Read 987 times)

Offline Bikergrandad

• Moving Up
Contacts
« on: 23.10. 2014 16:39 »
 Hi to all. Have you thought about having a section on USEFUL LINKS & CONTACTS for all around the World.
               For parts for your bike like NUTS/ BOLTS,OLD SPEEDOS, GOOD SUPPLIERS, BAD SUPPLIERS,EX.
                Than you can send in your Contacts. Bob.
Too Old To Die Young.
      Eastleigh  Hampshire.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Contacts
« Reply #1 on: 23.10. 2014 16:56 »
It has been suggested and may exist somewhere on this site.

The problem I see is how to deal with negative experiences. I don't think we would be allowed to publish critical comments on this forum.
While restoring my plunger A10 I had a financially painful experience with a supplier of stainless motorcycle components. I'm sure that other people are very happy with the same company but I would not recommend them and will never use them again!  *sad2* I've had nothing but good experiences from Draganfly  *smile* but others may hate them.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2014 19:26 »
Perhaps something allied to the 'likes' flag could help, only in a positive sense of course. For example, let's say I am particularly impressed by the service provided by Supplier A. I post a commendation, which is subsequently read by several people who press the 'like' button because they have been similarly impressed. As the number of 'likes' grows so Supplier A gains a stronger reputation.
Not a foolproof 'system' but let's hear alternative proposals.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2014 19:44 »
I like your idea Terry, it could work and of course only be open to members. It would be a fairly long list.
Bob, it has been mentioned a few times so we'll have a good look at it. In the meantime have a look here
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4442.msg29793#msg29793  and the search button under your avatar is quite useful.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline de Viking

• Active
  • leaver dea as slaef
« Reply #4 on: 23.10. 2014 21:59 »
I also like your idea Terry  *idea*
BSA W34/7 500cc SV 1934
BSA A10 plunger 1954
HONDA CX650C 1983
VOLVO PV544 sport 1965
S.B. Waltzing Mathilde 1936

Sieds Hiddema - Grou Friesland - Holland -

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.10. 2014 09:38 »
I've had two private messages, (so far) asking about my bad experience with a UK stainless motorbike parts supplier; two different companies were mentioned. It's a shame that we can't publish our experiences, both good and bad. I'd like to see something like Amazons reviews, with a star system.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Bikergrandad

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2014 10:04 »
 Hi to all. Why I Suggested the idea as where I live in a 4 mile radius I can get a Seat made as new,
               nuts & bolts, wheel lined, bike sprayed, tank welded, rake for the bike having done now,
                magneto. A bite further away very good exhaust/ silencers,+ brit/bits for all other BSA bits.
                But other members my not know about them.  Bob.
Too Old To Die Young.
      Eastleigh  Hampshire.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2014 10:43 »
 I remember this from a previous lap(circuit), and have had similar and opposing experiences to Gray-B. It's an idea worth addressing, but maybe more involved than we think......if we think.. *eek*

BikerGramps, I thought" geez I need to live where you are', and just noticed you're in Hampshire, which is interesting , as I'm having a minor online postage issue with a supplier in Havant- nothing to do with bikes, but is that near you..?

I could ramble (on) for a while, but friday eve, so......more later
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2014 11:18 »
The closest brit bike parts shop is 150 miles (Sydney) from me. Pipes for the A7/10 are 900 miles (South Australia) away. I can get 5/16 and 3/8 cycle thread nuts and rod (axles) from the local pushbike shop.
You lucky buggas living on that little island with all those goodies.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2014 11:31 »
Interesting topic....!

Twenty(?) years ago, I wrote to a classic bike magazine complaining of more shoddy than good items I seem to be experiencing from suppliers.  The editor's response to my published letter, in not so many words, replied basically that it was unheard of...!

What, with freedom of speech, democracy and all that, the good, bad and ugly should be named and accounted for.  Tripadvisor style of reporting have been accurate in my many travel experiences, it also provides opportunity for a seller to respond........only positive reporting is namby pamby, say it as it is!

Best regards...... 

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #10 on: 24.10. 2014 12:03 »
To clarify- when I posted '...only in a positive sense...' above, I was referring to the limitation of using a simple indicator such as the 'likes' flag and not to the desirability of posting negative comments.

The moderators will no doubt be considering the potential workload of a free-for-all, no holds barred approach to supplier rating.  I can also see the need for a disclaimer, in an attempt to protect the site as a whole from actions in response to any defamatory material. 

At the same time, I should like to benefit from the experience of others and perhaps also pass on some experience of my own.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 24.10. 2014 13:02 »
...The editor's response to my published letter, in not so many words, replied basically that it was unheard of...!
He didn't want to upset his advertisers.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK