Author Topic: Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride - London  (Read 784 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride - London
« on: 29.09. 2014 11:05 »
Figured I’d take the A10 down as it’s not really had a run this year. 50 miles into town on A120 and then M11 and then creeping through traffic along the embankment in warm conditions – ideal. But the bike ran pretty good throughout – despite heat shimmering off the all iron motor and the vagaries of a 6 spring clutch – best hitting neutral before rolling to a stop each time of course. Even got into a bit of a dice along South Bank on the return – with a Triton, the loudest (and roughest) 400/4 café I’ve seen since the 70’s, a stripped out Beemer air head and an S3 Guzzi looky likey. Most excellent. 

I’d have to say that despite the all iron motor and soft tune the bike still feels like it wants to be let off the leash at 60 (miles) per. You just want to ring its neck once you are out and about – maybe it’s the Goldstar cans I’m running. Easy to forget what a good bike this is.

Anyway – finally clocked 3000 miles since the build so time for a damned good servicing. 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride - London
« Reply #1 on: 29.09. 2014 12:49 »
Nice read  *smile* Thanks.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 29.09. 2014 13:26 »
Nice one, I was out on mine yesterday as well , really nice day up here as well although didn't have time to go as far as you nor to anyway as historic places as well just out in the countryside . I have to agree the iron headed bikes can be lovely to ride . Mines had the head worked by SRM with bigger valves to match the cam and followers but no silly comp rations about 8.25 I think , but she certainly goes well and my goldie (silencer ???) makes a real beaut noise coupled with great stability , went round most corners grounding the footrests and went round  a large rounabout in fine style ,if I'd had time I would have gone round again , fine end to a good weekend, best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.09. 2014 14:12 »
Yes mine will touch the footrests down most readily on modern rubber (and 19" wheels). I find it rather unsettling given that they are fixed of course. Reminds me that I went around the outside of an HD big twin yesterday when he was already dragging the floorboards.

Still pondering on the economics of putting better fork internals in and forking out for a nicer purchase.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #4 on: 29.09. 2014 14:29 »
I noticed on the NEWS on the weekend they also had a ride here in Melbourne...
Unfortunately my bike is down at the moment, & I couldn't bring myself to growing a handlebar mustache.   *smile*     good on em...   *wink2*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 29.09. 2014 21:38 »
The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride was held all over the world. One ride was only 50 miles north of me but SWMBO won't let me out on the bikes yet. Hoping to be let out next weekend for the BSA National.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.09. 2014 21:47 »
I was at Borough Market too. Great day out and lovely weather for a ride from South Bucks to London and a trip along the banks of the Thames. Lots of money raised for charity too.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014