Author Topic: The little Ceefer  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
The little Ceefer
« on: 16.09. 2014 09:31 »
Took the little Ceefer on a club run Sunday and was the only small bike on the run with all the B33's, A10's A65's and a few chairs one of which was a Squarial, plus a sloper and an early V twin. Didn't let me down and was told by a fella following me that I had reached 90Kms/Hr!!! Can't believe the little bugger can do that speed. Cheers fellas and thanks again. Gerry

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: The little Ceefer
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2014 10:47 »

if he didn't have have red and blue lights, you were holding him up.... *ex*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2014 11:15 »
Nice bike, looks in excellent shape! Must be fine for small trips and town riding.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2014 18:12 »
Should just about do 70 mph (120 kph).

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09.10. 2014 11:20 »
Thanks for the compliments fellas, as for 70mph I don't think so as it is ET ignition which uses an auto' advance unit of only 5 degrees. Any more and the magnets on the rotor would miss the coils on the stator and loose the spark when fully advanced. It took me 7 years to complete as quite a bit was missing when I got it as a trailer half full of rusty bits. They were not sold in UK apparently only the USA Canada, Sth Africa, NZ and Oz. I had my engine and frame numbers researched by a nice fella in UK who lives a few miles from the BSA Owners Club and he told me the numbers match and it was delivered to Taylors of Adelaide in December 1964. I recently met a fella in the BSA Club here who also owns one which is in absolutely original condition. He told me it was delivered to ICI for use with a sidecar on the St Kilda salt flats for opening and closing the sea cocks for flooding the salt pans. They purchased 6 of these for this use and when I first saw it was quite surprised how well it had been kept considering where it was used. They certainly looked after it well. I like the fact that it doesn't have a battery to maintain, lighting, horn and ignition run straight off the alternator which is AC. I love it and its a joy to ride. Cheers. Gerry

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.10. 2014 11:49 »
A very pretty machine  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.10. 2014 20:54 »
Thanks for the compliments fellas, as for 70mph I don't think so as it is ET ignition which uses an auto' advance unit of only 5 degrees. Any more and the magnets on the rotor would miss the coils on the stator and loose the spark when fully advanced.

The fully advanced timing is set for best performance. The compromise imposed by the limited advance range of the ET auto advance is a rather advanced static and idling timing.

Think about it- you can't ride around with retarded timing. Your engine would roast.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 10.10. 2014 01:05 »
Hi Triton Thrasher, So what you are telling me is because my advance is giving me little more than idle setting, my engine should be overheating? It doesn't, but I would love to be able to give it 12 degrees or so and see what improvement, if any, resulted. The ET ignition system has a bad reputation from some, but I must say mine has been no trouble at all right from day one (wish I could say that about the bloody A10). Cheers. Gerry

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 10.10. 2014 11:35 »
G'day Gerry.
I don't think you understood TT.
The full advance timing would be right it's just that the fully retarded position is more advanced than that of our A7/10's. Retarded ignition only makes starting easier, and helps going up hills (lugging).
A lot if not most two strokes don't have any advance/retard.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11.10. 2014 01:15 »
Well I'm buggered if I knew that Muskrat, but it makes much more sense than the way I interpreted it!! So its lucky I didn't go to all the trouble of converting it to solid state with a capacitor and 12 volts. Would have been highly disappointed wouldn't I. I must buy you a pint next time I'm in the Mount. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 11.10. 2014 01:31 »
Why did I say "The Mount" you aint there r u. Lake Conjola sounds nice Muskrat.....not as much dust as down ere.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #11 on: 11.10. 2014 02:36 »
I'm in "The Mount" and thirsty  *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 11.10. 2014 03:48 »
Though I've spent some time in Sydney, the rest of Australia is a strange and mysterious place, much like Chicago is to you lot.  *smile* ;) Using Google, I take it "The Mount" is the the Mt. Barker area near Adelaide. Do I have it about right? I'm just trying to figure out what bar we will meet at.

Richard L.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #13 on: 11.10. 2014 04:35 »
Close Richard but not close enough. Mt Gambier is the place, where I live. Rather than try and explain about the place, Google Mt Gambier blue lake.

Lots of bars to meet at, the best one is the "Skyline Bar", now you wont find that one in any search but if you ever come here I can guarantee a nice cold beer will be available. I'll give you a hint, I live in Skyline Place.

Here's a small pic just to get you interested.

While we are at it though, Muskrat does live in a nice place. He has a mountain near him with a road called Clyde pass, I'll let him tell you about it. I came down Clyde mountain a few years back on my Guzzi, had a ball.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 11.10. 2014 06:58 »
Just one question: why do they call it Blue Lake? Clearly, Leg of Mutton Lake isn't getting enough good press.

Richard L.