Author Topic: Dont look if you have a weak stomach !!!!  (Read 2521 times)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Dont look if you have a weak stomach !!!!
« on: 04.09. 2014 21:12 »
Hi All
Another horror story on fleabay  *sad2*

But early A7 frames dont turn up every day!!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301296870363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nothing to do with me and all that
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dont look if you have a weak stomach !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 04.09. 2014 21:23 »
I guess I don't understand why this is a horror story? Looks like a nice frame and forks, and the guy isn't suggesting it's anything else. Whatever evils might have gotten it to this point were probably a long time ago.

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.09. 2014 23:54 »
Hi Richard,
There are several bits hacked off the frame and so on,
Front forks are from  much later
so on and so on
I just cannot get my head around the so called "efforts" of "bobber"(death trap) builders  *eek*
Just glad he's had the sence to part it out !!!

To build a good special it should look and perform better  than a factory effort
Have look here
http://www.medaza.com/
I'm good friends wih the bikes builders and have even produce a few special bits for them

Regards
John

For lots more custom projects of a high standard visit Briz's website
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 05.09. 2014 17:08 »
It's a bit harsh having a dig at the owner without knowing the circumstances. Back in the day an A10 was a £15-£25 bike. I took a complete, good condition, but very smokey A7 plunger (speedo in tank model) out of a municipal tip, for  the price of a few beers for the lads......... Back gardens were littered with old broken down Brits back then.
Those of us who never wavered from British bikes, were guilty of butchery. But let's put it into perspective. When 'Syd's Place' in Radcliffe shut down, hundreds and hundreds of frames, engines, gearboxes, forks, wheels etc etc, got weighed in for scrap metal, because not one person wanted to buy him out....... not one, despite adverts all over Britain! ........That's just one shop of many, because the British bike scene was virtally dead in the water.
All that lot's gone for good, at least the frame in question is still here, and repairable.
My frame was chopped in '68, years before BSA had even shut down, and I've been riding it since '79. we did about 6,000 miles last summer alone. It isn't to everybodies taste, but having ridden it for 35 years, and 227,000 miles I think I've earned the right to have the bike as I like?
 Makes me smile these days when the tut, tutting and head shaking starts by the 'origional' brigade. Watching them ride away, 'in born again, kids have left home' heaven, with stainless rims, spokes and fixings. Crank conversions, dynamo belts, upgraded clutches, DVR2 regulators etc etc. It all seem a bit hypocritical to me.
I'll finish with this, I've ridden everything in the last 39 years. Brits, japanese, Italian and American, but not one of them has made me want one over my A10. But that said, when it left the factory it was nothing more than a mass produced, built to a budget, workhorse. We shouldn't forget that when we start getting all precious about them.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.09. 2014 18:31 »
Yup! I bought my '55 A10 in '73 in Los Angeles for $50. I think that is just about on-the-money (literally) for 25 GBP back then.

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.09. 2014 20:09 »
HI All,
Only the first couple of hundred A7's had the telescopic stand
That what makes that  frame rare , and shameful that some clown mucked with it *sad2*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 06.09. 2014 11:56 »
i d like to throw my hat into the ring and say its quite restorable. the headstock is untampered and brackets can be easily made and brazed on. i believe all a bobber is is a sprung seat and wide handlebars. not too far removed from the standard bsa rigid. there used to be a whole industry of chopper parts  on sale in the early 70,s as well as cafe racer kits , leather jacket, britishbike,chrome tank, 16"rear and high handlebars for me when i left school. i admit to feeling a bit dated now and not quite so different in the right way now in my mid 50,s. morelike old git.
i think more damage was done to standard frames fitted with a sidecar with L plates. when i passed my test the old a10 only ever handled coming home from the pub but at the time i felt so cool. terry mead eventually sorted out my distorted a10 frame. if the price for the rigid frame was a bit lower and it had a frame number i would give it a go but not sure about the ratchet centre stand as i remember reading it fell down sometimes. it seems everyones chasing a10 standard parts nowadays so an early project seems more interesting and affordable. however i would never be afraid to improve upon original design or customise while i am still alive as there are plenty of standard bikes in museums.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.09. 2014 21:06 »
Hi
Toggle along the ebay photos and the last one has a number ZA7 3109
Whether this is original or not ???????

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 06.09. 2014 23:46 »

Yes I regrettably agree with all the above, and even though my build isn't for originality, I never cut anything (except to straighten the already shortened rear guard, to weld on the rear section, which can be unwelded and re-hinged).

I found it like that (frame/guard/c. stand) in a wrecking yard in the '70s.

I also wondered about the frame number John, as I had the notion that 'early' A7 Vertical Twins started with a 'X' prefix, then 'Y', followed by 'Z'... *????*
 ( the frame number code page in the '49-'53 parts book I have says the rigid was made up to ~'52)...??

....but I could be wrong...!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 07.09. 2014 00:43 »
It's a bit harsh having a dig at the owner without knowing the circumstances. Back in the day an A10 was a £15-£25 bike. I took a complete, good condition, but very smokey A7 plunger (speedo in tank model) out of a municipal tip, for  the price of a few beers for the lads......... Back gardens were littered with old broken down Brits back then.
Those of us who never wavered from British bikes, were guilty of butchery. But let's put it into perspective. When 'Syd's Place' in Radcliffe shut down, hundreds and hundreds of frames, engines, gearboxes, forks, wheels etc etc, got weighed in for scrap metal, because not one person wanted to buy him out....... not one, despite adverts all over Britain! ........That's just one shop of many, because the British bike scene was virtally dead in the water.
All that lot's gone for good, at least the frame in question is still here, and repairable.
My frame was chopped in '68, years before BSA had even shut down, and I've been riding it since '79. we did about 6,000 miles last summer alone. It isn't to everybodies taste, but having ridden it for 35 years, and 227,000 miles I think I've earned the right to have the bike as I like?
 Makes me smile these days when the tut, tutting and head shaking starts by the 'origional' brigade. Watching them ride away, 'in born again, kids have left home' heaven, with stainless rims, spokes and fixings. Crank conversions, dynamo belts, upgraded clutches, DVR2 regulators etc etc. It all seem a bit hypocritical to me.
I'll finish with this, I've ridden everything in the last 39 years. Brits, japanese, Italian and American, but not one of them has made me want one over my A10. But that said, when it left the factory it was nothing more than a mass produced, built to a budget, workhorse. We shouldn't forget that when we start getting all precious about them.

Spot on Metal Flake. Nowadays the new trend in modified motorcycles is cafe racers, and the donor bikes? Cheap japanese bikes that are worth nothing and no-one wants... ATM!!!
[quote author=duTch link=topic=8748.msg62498#msg62498 date=14100

I also wondered about the frame number John, as I had the notion that 'early' A7 Vertical Twins started with a 'X' prefix, then 'Y', followed by 'Z'... *????*
 ( the frame number code page in the '49-'53 parts book I have says the rigid was made up to ~'52)...??

Dutch, that frame is a ZA7. It has the bolt up rear section, which was one option. The other option was a bolt on plunger rear section. The centre stand was originally a normal type, but may have had the '47 style stand retro fitted.
Cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.09. 2014 13:34 »
Hi All
Is the frame number stamped in the correct place???
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #11 on: 07.09. 2014 13:46 »
Looks horrible indeed. As for value, keep the frame (if salvageable), sell off the engine, gearbox and front brake and maybe recoup the money.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 07.09. 2014 14:00 »
e,

That would be seem to be a great deal if you got the Triumph engine and gearbox with it for 500 GBP, but they are not included in the sale.

Richard L.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 07.09. 2014 14:22 »
the high value of t120 engines at the moment is probably why he s breaking the bike. if the frame was was more affordable , armed with a set of gas bottles that would be fairly easy to restore to looking standard. who would know if any bracket was slightly different? as long as the seat etc fitted. however with 3 bikes mot d and 3 a10s, a b33 and a dommie 88 all in the project stage i m out of the running.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 13.09. 2014 21:41 »
who bought it [the frame] then? anyone here?