Author Topic: Hi from Melbourne, Australia  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Canning

• Active
Hi from Melbourne, Australia
« on: 13.07. 2014 02:10 »
Hi to all on A7 A10,

I joined up this morning because I'm looking for a long stroke A7 plunger to give of my 82 year old Dad, so he can come riding with me on my Black Shadow before cancer gets him. He hasn't ridden on the road (he has ridden dirt with me) for years, but still has his licence and often speaks very fondly of his '49 A7 plunger, and says he wishes he never sold it. We would love to go riding together before he dies.

Ideally it would be something running, but a little rough and in Australia. This would make it easier to transport, and would give he and I something to clean up together.

Anyway, I've been scouring the bikes for sale in Australia and it's hard to find something without paying double the price at a classic bike dealer, so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself at the same time as looking for a bike.

On the intro side, I have a collection of modern dirt and road bikes that I ride regularly, and also have a heavy involvement in a SuperSport race team here in Australia. Have a wife and 6 kids that are all teenagers, so life is full!

Phil

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Hi from Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1 on: 13.07. 2014 02:43 »
Welcome to the forum Phil...  your a good boy buying a A7 for your dad...   *smile*   *wink2*
I dont know if you have already tried Classic Style in Seaford,
they have just the bike your looking for...    http://www.classicstyle.com.au/

'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 13.07. 2014 08:41 »
Welcome aboard Phil, plenty of like minded Beeza owners here. Classic style is a good place to get a runner from(thanks Wozza).  I have purchased 2 BSA's from Jon and the Thunderbolt's engine had a big end knock  *conf* *sad2* *eek* :! he took it back and Ray? in the workshop replaced the crank and bearings for no charge. A project may be priced better but they spend years in the shed. May I also suggest that you consider a later plunger A7 or a plunger A10 as this will widen your options.
Cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 13.07. 2014 12:37 »
Yeah TC... I've been there a few times looking at bikes friends are interested in...
One bought a Rocket 3 from Jon & had it shipped to WA & he was very help full...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2014 13:15 »
Thanks for the nice intro, & welcome. Fine quest you've embarked upon.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Canning

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2014 13:22 »
Thank you guys. I shall follow up with Classic Style, but I'm a little hesitant in going to a dealer because I anticipate the prices will be high compared to a private sale. I will go there anyway and see what they have.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 13.07. 2014 14:28 »
Get the old boy the Star Twin...  ( your only got 1 daddy )   *smile*
Jon is a reasonable bloke, I think he'll deal with you..    good luck with it & your fathers health.
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 14.07. 2014 09:31 »
Ive just had a look at Classic Styles WWW and Jon has a Long Stroke plunger in stock, but it's a Star Twin. So he wants a pretty penny for it. The extra carby must add a premium to it! Perhaps call in to see if there's any new stock in. I always enjoy having a look down there *ex*
Cheers Tomcat
59 Super Rocket 

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.07. 2014 22:12 »
Probably charging extra for the wrong tool box too!
Crazy price for a bike which wasn't that rare.

Offline tomtit

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 14.07. 2014 23:36 »
Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. I have an A10 Plunger which I've been restoring over the past couple of years and am thinking of selling if you are interested. I'm still in the process of finishing it off, not much left to do, I have kept it as original as possible.
Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info, bike is located in Sydney.
Cheers
Tom
1950 A10 Golden Flash.
03 Yamaha V Star 1100.

Australia

Offline Canning

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 15.07. 2014 13:09 »
Tom, that looks like a lovely rebuild. I really was looking for an A7 so that it was the same as my Dad's old bike, and I don't actually know the differences between an A7 and A10. I have spent the last 20 mins comparing photos between them, and they do look very similar, with some obvious changes to engine capacity and tank etc.

I actually tried to send you a message, but it can't seem to do that on this site. I would be interested in talking to find out more, and my tel is 0417357400.

Phil

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 15.07. 2014 16:10 »
Off topic:
I actually tried to send you a message
Needs 3 posts. All explained in "Forum Info & Help", especially http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4723.0 which is a 'mandatory' read ref. the registration agreement :O)
Any questions always welcome in the Help boards. Thanks.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.07. 2014 20:04 »
Phil,

Other than "in a name," the thing that separates the A7 and A10 will be power. If dad has the gumption at 82 to ride the more subdued A7, it just seems to me that he might even like having the sight additional exhilaration. On the other hand, if dad will be doing the kick starting, unless he has great legs (uh, you know what I mean) you might want to look for compression of 7.5:1, or less.   

You could go a long time, maybe too long, looking for the perfect match to the recollection, only to find that is  priced outside what you are wiling to spend. Maybe a good approximation of the recollection affords more premium time together. Sorry if this is butting in on a level you were not wanting or reckoning for.

Richard L

Offline tomtit

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 15.07. 2014 22:24 »
Hi Phil, I've sent you a message.

*smile*
1950 A10 Golden Flash.
03 Yamaha V Star 1100.

Australia