Author Topic: Front forks for BB32GS  (Read 754 times)

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
Front forks for BB32GS
« on: 14.06. 2014 16:46 »
Hello I must be honest but I don’t own an A7 or an A10.  I do have, what started life in 1953, a BB32GS which I have owned for the past 48 years.  Unfortunately I blew the engine 45 years ago and fitted a Tiger 100c.  Also as the front forks were pretty well done so I modified a pair of RE bullet forks and fitted them, retaining the 8in single side brake. (all bit now long gone)
Now to the point of my post.  I would like to replace the forks with BSA ones and retain the 8in brake however all the forks I find for sale seem to be for full width hubs.  My question is, is it possible to fit an 8in brake into full width hub forks and if so what are the problems. I assume I’ll need a modified spindle but what about brake plate anchorage etc. 
Thanks for any help.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Front forks for BB32GS
« Reply #1 on: 14.06. 2014 22:02 »
G'day Pete  *welcome*.
I'm not familiar with the GS brake/hub but with a lathe anything can be made fit. Torque arm to mudguard bolts/bracket.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.06. 2014 22:36 »
Hi Pete,
I recently have pieced together a set of forks for the 8in. single sided hub,
The bottom sliders that take the stepped spindle are the difference, the stanchions and so on are the same for A and B models
Several different BSA models use these sliders, including B31/33's some A65/A50 and B44, models
The unit construction model forks may even have the 2 way damping

Gold Stars and B31/33 models 49-53  dont have a steering lock fitted to the top yoke
the part numbers for the yokes are, top  66-5088, bottom 66-5089
Clubmans bottom yokes have tapped holes to fit bolts to limit steering lock are number 42-5015
same through to the DBD models,
The late Goldie top yoke (CB32 7001onwards) is part number 42-5011
these yokes have a number cast into the underside, (unique to these??)

The later A and B  top yoke with lock hole will fit the non lock frame
I'm not  sure if theres a difference in trail angles with the different yokes or not ?

If its of any use to you I have a newly painted set of 54/55 B33 yokes for sale

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 20.06. 2014 15:26 »
Hello, Thank you both for your response.  I agree Muskrat’s comment regarding the lathe, as a turner many years ago I consider the lathe the most versatile machine tool there is.
Back to the bike as I said I have owned it for 48 years.  In those days we all did all sorts of mods some from necessity others because we thought it was better.  Regarding the forks, the Enfield forks, in my opinion were far superior to BSA and the bike handled very well.  The last time I rode it was in 1985.  I’ve threatened to do it up for years but I never got round to it. At present I’m assessing what it will cost. As you would expect the chrome parts will need re-plating new rims and tyres and tubes plus cables etc.  I don’t know what the mag or the dynamo will be like as I have yet to start or try to start it up as the fuel tank has been empty for many a year and will need a good clean, I’m going to make up a temporary tank in the near future.  I’m also looking into the modern technology re electronic ignition and 12v electrics.  If it starts and runs OK I’ll probably keep it as it is.
Once again thanks for your help.
Regards Pete