Author Topic: Finished at last!  (Read 1317 times)

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
Finished at last!
« on: 12.04. 2014 13:46 »
Well, not really....theres quite a few things left to do...but at least its all in one piece and working!
Origionally I'd planned to pretty much copy the pictures of a Gold Star Twin that I was kindly sent but quite a few bits got changed...I'd intended to use an ali head but so far haven't found one at a reasonable price....went with aluminium mudguards instead of stainless (slightly abbreviated!)...a seat I made ...a Pearson clutch...A65 headlight brackets and an oil pressure gauge...
The cases I bought had a tapping for a gauge so I spent more time than I care to think about making a line and then fitting a gauge to the headlight...it works and shows 50 psi....but can't help thinking that sooner or later I'll get an oil leak from the headlight!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #1 on: 12.04. 2014 14:10 »
Nice work Rob. The shape of the seat is good, and a great place for the oil gauge.
Now for a few miles to shake the bugs out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.04. 2014 16:24 »

yep -ditto Musky re the seat, nice colour too, just get on and ride it- is the best way to figure what you need to do...!!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.04. 2014 17:37 »
Yes nice and Siamese pipes looks good, have a set for mine but the short pipes is all wrong  - annoying
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2014 22:14 »
Looks really great Rob. Just the right finish. Love 'em like that...!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 12.04. 2014 23:08 »
hi guys, nice job Rob i like it any chance of a close up of the oil gauge tapping,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #6 on: 12.04. 2014 23:43 »
Very nice, I have Siamese pipes for my Plunger, but undecided weather to go with them or the std. set, I do like the look of the uncluttered l/h side.

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #7 on: 12.04. 2014 23:58 »
Thats really nice Rob, you have done a very good job. Now stop taking pictures and get out and ride it !

Pato, I have siamese pipes on my plunger and it does make working on the left side a lot easier plus you only have to buy one muffler  *ex*

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #8 on: 13.04. 2014 00:15 »
 *wink2* she looks SMICKO....  well done...    *yeah*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 13.04. 2014 02:03 »
nice work rob  *wink2*

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 13.04. 2014 05:46 »

...... that sooner or later I'll get an oil leak from the headlight!!

maybe install an igniter...oil lamp pilot light...novel *smile*

Also is that little do-dad around the filler cap just a protector, and is it standard item?

Hey Pato- don't wanna hijack the thread tho' I've often wondered why the '57 is a 'rare one'-
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 13.04. 2014 13:53 »
Have done a couple of trips.. 30 odd miles...nothing too serious...a couple of serious oil leaks (one from the rocker take off at the tank, I used copper washers...would fibre be better?)...gear lever fell off...tacho very jerky...forgot to put any fork oil in....but generally not too much to do!
One job I was pleased with was fitting a new horn into the old altette body as suggested on Paul Goffs site, I found that by modifying the original adjuster on the back the new horn could be adjusted in and out so that it just touched the diaphragm ....making a very impressive noise! Especially so when I called in for some fuel....pressed the horn button instead of the kill....and it wouldn't stop....one way to get attention!!
Pic of oil gauge take off, fitted by some one in the past....I found making up a line that could be trusted a bit tricky....and fitting the gauge itself into the smaller hole in the headlight even more so! Not really sure if it was worth all the effort...it goes straight to 50 psi when you start and doesn't move in the slightest...was expecting it to vary with engine speed?
May well be the actual gauge...£2 at a jumble....so probably not the most precise!

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: 13.04. 2014 21:19 »
Also is that little do-dad around the filler cap just a protector, and is it standard item?

Think its a petrol tank breather. I have it on the plunger to. Thought it was a period aftermarket accessory, but start to wonder if it might have been factory standard/option?
If anyone can shed a light, thanks in advance....
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 13.04. 2014 22:05 »
think it would be used on those bikes that used the the sportier looking fuel filler caps like Goldies (had no breather hole in them).
Always wondered about the breather pipe though if you dropped the bike it would leak but then so would a cap with breather hole.
I have mine on the other side (could this be the start of a thread similar to oil?)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 13.04. 2014 23:29 »
It's a breather which is standard on Goldstar tanks. Usually fitted with the curve to the right.

Trev.