Author Topic: Super Flash  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
Super Flash
« on: 02.03. 2014 10:02 »
I just came across this - but the seat tube isn't straight - what's going on there?

http://misterbsa.com/?page_id=86

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Super Flash
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2014 10:32 »

I can't see it very well, but if you mean the offset frame casting where the spine under the tank meets the downtube and rear frame section....???

Yes it is 'extended' with a chicane in it to cater for something to do with carbie(s). It was explained to me by a guy who has a couple.
 Rear section and everything else is same though, just that lug bit.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2014 20:13 »
The frame tube is set to clear the TT carby.

Trev.

Offline MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 03.03. 2014 12:01 »
Hi, I'm new here, but what great posts - really useful!

My main reason for joining the forum is a SuperFlash. I've got one in the garage that's been sitting since 1980 and I'm finally planning to get started on it. The link above from Nourish is just the sort of info that I need - fantastic! *smile*

It's amazing how many non standard parts that BSA made just for the SF. You're right about the front frame section, but the rear section is also different - it has a brazed on sidestand lug plus brackets for rearsets.  Also, it's the only frame apart from the RGS that uses "A10" in the frame number. P/tank, oil tank, rear guard and brackets, primary drive to mention just a few other bits are special to the SF.  The engine has larger valves, 8:1 comp ratio and the first appearance of the 356 cam, plus a TT carb.  The same spec re-appeared with the first Road Rocket but with an ally head.  BSA also made a few SF with the new swinging arm frame.

My first job is to find a frame repairer - a PO found it necessary to cut off the footrest bracket hangers, for some reason that must have seemed sensible at the time. Anyone got a any suggestion for someone who does work on these old frames?

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 03.03. 2014 12:52 »
G'day Mik,  *welcome*.
I had to look that up and your right. The '54 SF had a BA10S frame #.
Sounds like your the new SF guru. Good luck with the frame repairs.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 03.03. 2014 18:40 »
Hello Mike, Where abouts in the uK are you?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.03. 2014 21:57 »

Rear section and everything else is same though, just that lug bit.

Was referring to frame bits there, had a feeling there was a few engine and cosmetic changes,(there's a SF  section in the back of the spares book '49-'53, pages 59-61) and having had a look at the slideshow when it loaded properly, I did notice the other (r'sets?) lugs, but s/stand lug looks normal?

Just my observations, and I'm sure you know a lot more- good luck with them, no doubt there'll have progress updates.....?
 Cheers,duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 04.03. 2014 09:27 »
Progress updates  -   I really hope so!  So much to do and so little time, particularly when the wife's electric cattle prod is on full charge and she feels there's other goodly works that should be undertaken.    I'm in Scotland just south of Pitlochry.  Great old bike (or any bike!) country, but a bit far from the established bike restoring trade.

Everything I "know" about the SF I've come across in trying to find out exactly what bits I should have before trying to put it together. The '53 - '54 parts list is helpful, but there's another spares list that was supplied to the US importers who were the market for most of the bikes. That goes to show that really anything was possible!  I got this from a group of US owners.  My bike came out of the police vehicle pound in Hong Kong in 1980 as a sad dumped wreck with various "foreign" parts welded on. I've since been collecting the right bits.

BTW - I don't suppose anyone has a TT float bowl with 7 degrees downdraught for mounting on the RIGHT side of the bike that they'd swap for my right arm?

So - let's see how it goes!

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.03. 2014 20:36 »
Mike,
              Get in touch with Mike Reilly in Australia.
He has restored two Super Flashes. Both are pictured somewhere on this Forum.

Trev.

Offline MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 05.03. 2014 09:41 »
Thanks for that, Trev,

I shall hunt him down!

Mike

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 26.03. 2014 06:00 »
Correction, mike did one, the other is mine ;)
Where about are you located?? The old man is away at the moment, and will only be back for a week next week and then away for another 3-4 weeks after that...
Have a search of my posts and you will see my green super flash, and I think my pic will show the old mans blue one and mine together...
And yes, there was approx 10 built in 54 as swing arm super flashes....

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
« Reply #11 on: 26.03. 2014 18:00 »
Hi, I'm new here, but what great posts - really useful!

My main reason for joining the forum is a SuperFlash. I've got one in the garage that's been sitting since 1980 and I'm finally planning to get started on it. The link above from Nourish is just the sort of info that I need - fantastic! *smile*

It's amazing how many non standard parts that BSA made just for the SF. You're right about the front frame section, but the rear section is also different - it has a brazed on sidestand lug plus brackets for rearsets.  Also, it's the only frame apart from the RGS that uses "A10" in the frame number. P/tank, oil tank, rear guard and brackets, primary drive to mention just a few other bits are special to the SF.  The engine has larger valves, 8:1 comp ratio and the first appearance of the 356 cam, plus a TT carb.  The same spec re-appeared with the first Road Rocket but with an ally head.  BSA also made a few SF with the new swinging arm frame.

My first job is to find a frame repairer - a PO found it necessary to cut off the footrest bracket hangers, for some reason that must have seemed sensible at the time. Anyone got a any suggestion for someone who does work on these old frames?
Myles Raymond, I believe in Scotland, has a Super Flash web site, and he is a bit of an authority on these Super Flashes.
      RGS-BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 26.03. 2014 22:18 »
I stand corrected!  *wink2*

According to a copy of a page from the dispatch book, there were 19 S.A. Super Flashes, the first being sent on the 19 Dec 1953.
Four were sent to Australia, CA10S 104 to CA10S 107. To Bennett & Wood.

Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #13 on: 27.03. 2014 03:48 »
Trev I think 103 also came to Aus, despatched 11-1. That would make 5 of them.

I've only ever seen one photo of one of these s/arm Super Flashes and all I can say is, I want one !

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 27.03. 2014 20:29 »
You're right, Brian.  Must clean my specs!