Author Topic: 6 volt or 12 volt  (Read 31369 times)

Offline Rickj

• Active
Re: 6 volt or 12 volt
« Reply #180 on: 20.10. 2024 13:01 »
What a fantastic informative site, especially for an A10 novice like myself. However, having made the decision to go 12 volt with a DVR2 and belt drive, on trying to order the parts yesterday, the dynamoregulators site informed me the dynamo belt drive is no longer available. Does anyone know where I can purchase one in the UK? Thank you to all those who have previously responded.
59 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #181 on: 20.10. 2024 14:10 »
There's no great reason to rush to 12v if the parts are not around. I recently wired up one bike 12v and one 6v.  The 6v LED bulbs are the same brightness as the 12v and now you can get all the instrument bulbs as 6v LED too.  Of course the chain works for 6v as the revs on the dynamo are correct for 6v.  The only big difference is if you go for electronic ignition but I'm a died in the wool magneto user.
Don't be distracted by phone, sat nav etc as these are now mostly on 5v USB so they charge off a 6v with the right adapter.
DVR2 is selectable so you can swap at no cost, just connect the other wire.
If its got an original Altette 6v horn then that could sway you to 6v.
Do go neg earth though as just about nothing is pos earth now.
It really is 6 and two threes or more accurately 12 and two sixes  *smile*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #182 on: 20.10. 2024 14:50 »
Tell me if I’m remembering this stuff wrong.

I think the charge warning (“Ign.”) lamp on a dynamo-equipped car served the “nudging” purpose described above, by feeding a small current to D, which was connected to F when the regulator contacts were in the no-charge position.

Reckon that's about it TT.
A quick look at any old car wiring diagram, eg Morris Minor or whatever, shows the lay-out of a typical charge-warning light (A via fusebox to Sw to bulb to D), which if we fitted a suitable switch we could replicate easily enough on dynamo bikes. Loads of dynamo machines with coil ignition had such as standard.
With F and D being always connected through closed regulator contacts except when the system is actually regulating, a feed to D will give the field a gentle nudge, just as a direct one to F via a resistor or bulb will, per the nudge diagram the Ariel folk created.
(Or of course we can give the whole system a good kicking and shut the cut-out momentarily on a mechanical control box if we can get the lid off easily, or by touching battery live to F, as many people do when pressed.)
Have sometimes thought about going for warning lights or those ''red, amber, green" things we see advertised (think Goff sells them), but heck, ammeters are good enough for me.
Bill

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #183 on: 20.10. 2024 14:54 »
I seem to recall the Sunbeam S7 of the same period had a charge warning light.  Wonder if they came up to volts quicker?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #184 on: 20.10. 2024 15:01 »
What a fantastic informative site, especially for an A10 novice like myself. However, having made the decision to go 12 volt with a DVR2 and belt drive, on trying to order the parts yesterday, the dynamoregulators site informed me the dynamo belt drive is no longer available. Does anyone know where I can purchase one in the UK? Thank you to all those who have previously responded.

If the Dyn Regs one is N/A - tho' the site lists it? - then SRM I presume still do their version?
I liked the additional width on the Dyn Regs 15mm belts, have to say, but I ran with both for many thousands of miles. The SRM kit had a hissy fit in the end when the taper on the big pulley slipped and wore beyond refitting (I machined out the pulley centre and fitted the centre out of the original steel sprocket to get a few more years out of it); the Dyn Regs one bust its belt on its current owner - in the end. But both did loadsamiles.
Bill

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #185 on: 20.10. 2024 15:50 »
I seem to recall the Sunbeam S7 of the same period had a charge warning light.  Wonder if they came up to volts quicker?

Ah yes the Sunbeam had coil ignition, so probably had a switch.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #186 on: 20.10. 2024 20:08 »
Hi All,
A friend has a bike where the dynamo is very reluctant to stay polarised,
On my sy o he fitted  push to make button conveniently into the dummy story box that links the battery live to F on the dynamo,  spliced into the F wire at the regulator as the magdyno is mounted low down in front of the engine

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #187 on: 20.10. 2024 22:53 »
You can buy direct from Steve McFarlane or from me (Priory Magnetos), as I stock Steve's, normally for my personal use but I also stock one additional in case anybody else wants one.