Author Topic: 2014 International BSA Rally  (Read 863 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
2014 International BSA Rally
« on: 16.12. 2013 23:22 »
Hi,

Anyone planning on going to the International Rally in Northern California? I am, but I'm not sure if I can get my bike there from Chicago. I know the area a bit, being originally from California and, also, having recently completed a project nearby to the rally site. It is a great area. The description on the invitation is, as they say, "inviting", but understated, particularly with regard to the Pacific Coast. A ride from the rally to Bodega Bay, where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" would be awesome. Then, dinner at Lucas Wharf (not on me, but I'd be happy to provide a pitcher or two for Forum friends, uh, wait, then how would we get back? We'll think of something.)

Here is the invitation: http://www.bsaocnc.org/rally/2014Intlhandbill.pdf .

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 2014 International BSA Rally
« Reply #1 on: 17.12. 2013 17:50 »
Anyone in the UK have an idea of shipping costs?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 17.12. 2013 18:54 »
Heyup Graybeard,

The UK BSAOC Rally Secretary has made it known that shipping costs for a solo from the UK will be approximately £800 return.  Time is running short so if you are interested contact Andy direct.  email:- international@bsaownersclub.co.uk

Beezageezauk.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.04. 2014 14:31 »
Well, it appears my aspirations to go the International Rally will have to go unfulfilled. The bike is not quite out of rebuild, but that is a weak excuse, since I've reached the point where it could be running with about three hours of concentrated work. The real reasons are time and money  --- work deadlines and bike shipping cost. If I were to truck the bike, add four days for driving. I wouldn't mind going just to be around, but there is this: 

3. All participants are expected to attend with a BSA motorcycle.

There's a workaround, but not that inviting.

OK, that's it. Just closing that story.

R

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 25.04. 2014 15:06 »
Yep Time & Money evil things. If you have plenty of time your probably out of money. To make that money you'd probably have no time. It's always a feast or a famine around here too.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.04. 2014 03:27 »
I think there is about 10 people going to the rally from New Zealand, its a a lot closer than Europe where most rallies are held so there was increased interest from NZers this time.

When the US organisers contacted me to confirm which club the New Zealand members who had sent in applications belonged to it became apparent that no one was shipping a bike from NZ, probably as the cost was over 2000nzd (1000 pounds).

But, some NZers are borrowing bikes off US based members, and to do that is a growing trend from what I've heard, as even with Europe the cost of getting bikes to rallies is too high for many.

I also know some NZers are buying some late model trumpets and going for an extensive tour after the rally on them, instead of borrowing BSA's, maybe that has meant there are some spare loan bikes Richard? You never know!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts