Author Topic: Where we live  (Read 3322 times)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Where we live
« on: 20.12. 2008 06:48 »
As we all live in different places of the world I thought I would post a couple of photos of my area to give everyone a bit of an idea of the sort of country I go riding in. All these places are within 50 kilometers of my home. I am fairly lucky to have some good riding not too far away.

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
Re: Where we live
« Reply #1 on: 20.12. 2008 07:42 »
Great pics Brian. And a good idea for a post. If the weather improves I might be tempted to go out myself.
Its chucking it down here in the English lake district at the moment, I guess thats why we have the lakes *smile*.

At least its washed some of the salt off the roads, boy that stuff is slippery.

I don't have any pics of my bike out there so I borrowed a few off the web.
http://www.izix.com/personal/photos/england/images/LakeDistrict.jpg
http://www.freefoto.com/images/1009/49/1009_49_52---Honister-Pass--The-Lake-District--England_web.jpg?&k=Honister+Pass%2C+The+Lake+District%2C+England
http://www.advancedridingtechniques.info/images/moors-2.jpg
http://www.advancedridingtechniques.info/images/moors-1.jpg

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 20.12. 2008 12:16 »
Oh goodness me where do I start here? I think this is going to be a very interesting thread, great idea Brian and a good start off with your pics. Now I'm wondering if that is a photo of a couple of guys just comming down from the hardknott or Wyenott pass Stratcat?

Okay... My shots, As I live in the East Anglia of the UK it is quite flat around where I live. It is also home to many WW2 U.S. Army Air force airdromes. I have taken many photos of rides out to visit them. I also like photographing old railway routes too and there are many closed down lines locally as well.

1/ This first picture below is the 'more or less' exact spot where the still standing world steam loco record took place in 1938 at 126 mph. (Appologise for the M21 obsuring the view!)  *lol*

2/ I mention it is very flat and is not unlike The Netherlands in fact this is South Lincolnshire and the area is called South Holland, it is near to Spalding where every Spring time most of the shops Spring flowers are grown here, Tulips and as you've spotted... Daffodils.

3/ This is another local spot but a little more west where it begins to get much more hilly. This is Fortheringhay on the River Nene and is the site of an ancient castle where Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded in 1587.

4/ This shot looks along the old U.S.A.A.F runway at Glatton occupied by the U.S. forces during 1943-46. It is today used as Peterborough buisness airdome.

5/ Back towards the East side of Peterborough and again on the River Nene here you can see where the river level is actually higher than the surrounding farm land, this is a common feature in the fenlands.

6/ Finally a picture just to show i do have an A class BSA. This is one of many rides out with one of the kids as pillion... Chasing 'Hot air balloons' it's another fenland shot near to where we live.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 20.12. 2008 22:47 »
Now I'm wondering if that is a photo of a couple of guys just comming down from the hardknott or Wyenott pass Stratcat?

It doesn't look steep enough to be hardnott,could be wrynose, I once followed a campervan over hardnott the smell of burnt clutch plates...hmmm loverley!
I've got to say why anyone would want to travel over the pass by choice in anything bigger than a bike beggars belief. Its bad enough on a bike in some places.
Here are some strange people doing it in convoy?? and back again!! Of course they wouldn't be inconveniencing anyone would they?
http://www.zroadster.net/tim/drives/lakes01-hardknott-fort.jpg
Not the place to be in winter though.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 20.12. 2008 23:07 »
Thou shall not pass...

(Found some old pics from trips in the mountains around here)
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 21.12. 2008 12:14 »
To Fido, picture posting see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=427.0

---------

In general, please use the Attach feature only, to avoid topics getting 5 meters long and very cluttered, and forcing those with slower internet connections to wait forever for it to load. And, of course, check the quality and relevance of any picture. Thanks a lot.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.12. 2008 13:31 »
Hello,

Not posting pictures right now, but wondering who will ride in the coldest weather today, or typically? In the words of Sonny Bono, "It ain't me, babe," since it is -21C (wind chill at -32C) in Chicago, and it seems unlikely to be Orabanda (Richard) down in Western Australia. Surprisingly, it may be our administrator in balmy Norway, today, I believe, at somewhere between 0C and 5C.

L.J., I know, I should be out in the shed anyway. For those who would work in the shed/garage in this weather, I guess you just have bigger ...heaters than I.

Richard L.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 21.12. 2008 16:11 »
photo 1, my old Vito on the main road between norway's 2 largest cities, in the middle of winter.
It's a big job keeping it open, and sometimes the storms close down both roads and trains for days.

photo 2, my favorite place to take a rest in a 'circuit' I use to ride around Bergen.

photo 3, one of my 'secret' roads in the mountains around Bergen.

And see this post, Provence, where I go when I have time, have done lots of riding in the area, some years ago I had my A10 there > http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=411.0

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 22.12. 2008 06:30 »
To Fido, picture posting see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=427.0

---------

In general, please use the Attach feature only, to avoid topics getting 5 meters long and very cluttered, and forcing those with slower internet connections to wait forever for it to load. And, of course, check the quality and relevance of any picture. Thanks a lot.

Ooops!

sorry I'm guilty too. *red*
I will use this in future.

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 27.12. 2008 13:58 »
Here's one from France, of the Normandy coast at Arromanches, site of the artificial harbour built for the D Day landings in 1944 . . .
Complete with B31 on a beautifully cold morning (today), when the temperature never got much above 0 (Centigrade that is, for those who dwell in places where it gets further towards the other 0!).
For anyone interested, Arromanches is just a few miles east of Omaha beach (US beach) and the American Military Cemetery, heading towards Juno (Canadian) and the British beaches of Gold and Sword. A fair way to the west is the more desolate Utah - a good few miles left of the bit of sea you can see, although you can just see it if you stand on the edge of the cliffs. Evocative as well as scenic. Should really have an M20 in military spec for this sort of shot.
Bill

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 29.12. 2008 18:45 »
Great looking B31 there. I've got a slightly earlier ('56) model myself.
I'd better stop there before I get into trouble for deviating from A series chatter! *smile*

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #11 on: 29.12. 2008 20:12 »
Too kind stratcat!
Picture does it a favour really as it's quite, ahem, well-used. As is my A, keeping on thread - but I reckon we'll be forgiven! (Btw, per BSAOC cert, the B's a '56  "exported to the Officer Commanding British Forces, South Africa", but with a later alternator engine obviously. Come to think of it, not a million miles away from the military beast I thought would have been more appropriate.)
Bill

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 10.02. 2014 12:19 »
Looking trough old posts, maybe a good idea to revive this topic.

Surely many photos that could be shared here (and there's the picture contest for that very special photo, and Richard's 'Just a picture' topic).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rookie_V#60

• Rudolph the rednose rendeer
  • A's Good Friend
  • Je oller je doller
« Reply #13 on: 10.02. 2014 17:03 »
Looking trough old posts, maybe a good idea to revive this topic.

Ok, let's start again,

as I has moved the last year here some impression of my new location area in South Germany near Austria.

Rudolf
1923 James Model 12 500ccm v-twin
1926 Douglas EW 350ccm flat-twin
1936 Motosacoche 500ccm single
1948 BSA A7 Longstroke 500ccm parallel-twin
1955 Ariel Square Four MKII
1960 C1, 1967 C2, 1979 C3-gone!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 10.02. 2014 18:59 »
That looks like a very expen$ive road Rudolf. One pass up and down would grind away my mufflers, center stand, side stand and foot peg rubbers  *eek*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7