Author Topic: Pictures of road riders and speed master mkll on the a10  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Looking at getting new tyres and was wondering if any one has some good shots of how there bike looked with either of these tyres on. Reading reviews, the road riders are better for grip and handling but I do like the look of the speed master and that is currently what is on it and I do like the classic look.
Just wanted to compare looks really.
Thanks

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Avon Speedmaster on my bike
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Just fitted a rear one to a B33 from a swapmeet for 5 bucks no mileage. Thank the lord for other peoples paranoia!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
I've got the Road Riders on my 3 BSA's (surprise, surprise).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Funny this should come up. I was cleaning my Guzzi after a very wet and windy ride yesterday and noticed this in the rear tyre. The bike is fitted with Avon Road Riders.

The split goes all the way down to the steel belting. My local tyre retailer has taken pics of the split to send to Avon via the Australian importer.

The tyre is two years old and has done 10,000 k's. The split is a fracture in the tyre, not a cut from some object. There are other similar splits starting to develop but this was the worst one.

I have always been a fan of Avon tyres and have them on most of my bikes but will reconsider before I buy any more. This could have been disasterous.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Hey musky, great picture.  *smile*

Avon Roadrunner universal 4.10-19, behaved fine, still on the bike & no signs of cracks\split\deterioration.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
Please have a look at my first post to see what Roadriders look like on the bike.
They are fantastic tyres but my rear tyre is weaing down and expect to need to replace it at 4000miles.
I think its a 90/90 19 inch front and a 100/90 19 inch rear.
If you want handling and grip they are the best and the only downside is they are a lower profile to the original fitments which you can see looks odd with slim chrome guards as it leaves a gap.

Regards

Stuart

59 SR

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
The 100/90 is practically the same diameter as the original 3.5 inch rear; 90 mm/25.4 = 3.54 inches

Needing to replace rear Roadrider on A10 soon. Only about 5 k miles and my bikes are normally pretty good on tyre wear. Not impressed.
Grip  and handling no better than old Roadrunners or TT100 but both these last longer in my experience. Poor value IMHO
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
would beg to differ Mike regarding grip (more accurately handling ) I found them much better (granted I'm not into titanium elbow and knee pads) *smiley4*
However can't comment on wear as I have yet to cover your millage, but softer rubber = more grip =  less miles, I guess and I'm happy with that.

they do spoil the look of a classic tho if that's what your after preserving then go for a more appropriate tyre 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
Well Bill, better than an S&M II on both counts I agree.
Handling or grip is indeed an important distinction to make.
As for spoiling the looks I don't have a strong opinion, and rather difficult one to be categorical about I think. Suppose the SM II or Dunlop universal (K70) is the appropriate style for a 1960 machine.

I observe that 10k kilometres (or 10 Mm; Mega metres) per Brian's tyre with the split is about 6,000 miles so this sort of mileage does seem typical for an A10. I would be hoping for more like 10,000 miles but wonder if I am kidding myself (again). I get that on my modern bikes with mid range tyres and with harder cornering possible than on the old bus (ground clearance as much as anything). Have read of other Roadriders suffering from cracks and splits as well, worth considering in any tyre comparison.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
Re: Pictures of road riders and speed master mkll on the a10
« Reply #10 on: 15.10. 2013 18:05 »
The roadriders are superb for handling and grip and too much really as you have to watch out for scraping the pegs as the tyres give lots of confidence.
The old style tyres are great for shows and pottering to the shops but when I go out its usually a 150 to 200 mile excursion into North Wales in summer so I want something that gives me the best grip for safety and that means Roadriders.
Its all choice to suit your needs so depends how you use the bike.

Regards

Stuart
59 SR

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.10. 2013 18:28 »
Well Bill, better than an S&M II on both counts I agree.

yep, SM best suited to having three wheels on your wagon
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #12 on: 15.10. 2013 21:56 »
I don't know why people are "dissing" Avon SM II tyres, the modern version uses modern materials and a modern structure. They are in truth modern tyres but have traditional tread patterns for the traditional look.. Compare an old type with a new one, they are nothing like each other.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.10. 2013 22:19 »
Ill take your word for A10Boy I only have experience of the one that was on my Flash when I got it so have no idea whether it's new or old but suspect it's not the compound but the shape.
might be just the way I ride but I didn't like it, put me off them and I found the bike much more stable on corners with a Dunlop type of the day (yep I forgotten the number it wasn't K70 I know).
The other change that I made that helped it handle better was to change the front from 3.50 that  it came with to 3.25
All the best - Bill

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #14 on: 16.10. 2013 13:32 »
In my view, the problem is that some people dont do enough mileage and then don't see the need to change tyres for 30+ years as they aren't worn out. It is these [dangerous tyres] that give the impression that SM's are rubbish, and indeed those old ones are.  

The "original" SM's were quite square in section and very very rigid. Modern ones use a different carcass and are rounded just like any other modern tyre and personally, I think they are ideal for old BSA's.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300