Author Topic: New boy (All the gear, no idea).  (Read 1136 times)

Bulldog

New boy (All the gear, no idea).
« on: 01.10. 2013 22:07 »
Hi everyone.
51 and always ridden bikes, mostly japanese, a couple of Harleys, but now ride a Triumph Tiger 955.
Always fancied a resto project and recently got offered a 1962 BSA A7SS 500cc for a price i could'nt refuse. It's all there but needs some work and hasn't ran since the mid 70's (i'll try and attach a photo). 
My dilemma is, do i just do enough to get it running and gradually replace / restore bits? Or do i go for it and strip it back to the frame and start from scratch? Money is a bit of an issue.
I'm comfortable with nuts, bolts, cables, wiring etc but have no mechanical knowledge and not sure what Magneto's and Dynamo do. I live in Market Harborough, Leicestershire and would be greatful for any advice / useful contacts in the area, or any of you nearby who would'nt object to me picking your brains from time to time.
Thanks. Al

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New boy (All the gear, no idea).
« Reply #1 on: 01.10. 2013 22:13 »
Al,
          I am sure that you will very quickly find out what magnetos and dynamos do, or don't do.
Looks pretty complete but expensively shabby.
If cash is a problem, just ride it until you become flush.
By the way, the front stand is on upside down.

Trev.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.10. 2013 22:26 »
Hi Al and welcome
Congrats on your purchase lots of fun to be had both riding and mechanical, yep money is a  problem for many of us (many being pensioners)
So the bits that you can do as you ride can be left to do as and when (tinware, paint, and such) bits that are important need checked before you ride (brakes, Tyres, control cables)
If the engine runs well and the gearbox changes with out to many strange noises they can be left until you have time but if possible attend to them first.
I doubt if many members here were mechanics before they were bike owners, we learnt those skills as we progressed by asking friends, think of this forum as a large collection of friends, ask whenever you want to, and remember the only silly question is the one that isn't asked.

Look forward to your project
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #3 on: 01.10. 2013 22:30 »
If the money's tight then paying someone else isn't an option.
You say you have no mechanical knowledge, so you could do more harm than good if you're not very careful, but sounds like you're gonna have to do it yourself. What's your toolkit like - you'll need AF and whitworth spanners and sockets.
You gotta do a lot of reading, you've found a good place to start
Take photos of everything before you start dismantling
Drain the engine oil from the sump, put some fresh in the oil tank.
Remove the plugs and see if the engine turns over on the kickstart
See if you've got a spark
Petrol tank could be full of rust, so that'll have to come off, put in a handful of nuts and shake vigorously, repeat until no more rust comes out.
Leave the oil filler cap off for the moment so you can check whether the oil pump is returning oil to the tank, it squirts out the little pipe at the top.
If it turns over and there's a spark replace the tank with fresh petrol and see if it'll start, you never know your luck.
You probably won't get a spark and most likely the magneto, the thing the leads are attached to, will need reconditioning.
Clutch plates are likely stuck together, so hold the clutch in and kick it over until they free up hopefully.
Do you know if it was a runner when it was laid up?
Good luck.
I'm near Northampton, but I think there's folk here even closer to you.
'59 A10

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 01.10. 2013 22:38 »
Hi Bulldog, welcome to the forum. You'll find it a good starting place.
If you want my advise (for what it's worth), get it running as it is, and then do one bit at a time.
Seen to many people take on a nut and bolt restoration, taking it all apart and then losing interest because of lack of time/money or whatever, and never get to the fun of riding the damn thing.
This also gives you the occasion to go to shows/rallies/jumbles etc, where you can have a chat with the likeminded, and build up some knowledge to tackle the job with more confidence.
Have fun!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 01.10. 2013 22:55 »
Welcome Bulldog

I'd ride it and restore it as you go...

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 01.10. 2013 23:31 »
Welcome, congrats with the 'new' machine. Just start posting and you'll get help here. About the practical use of the forum, take a look in Forum Info & Help.

& thanks for the fine introduction post, appreciated by all.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 02.10. 2013 11:27 »
Good morning Al, and welcome . Has already mentioned you have a great bike to start with and the fact it's together is a real bonus ,the 500 is a lovely motor and a little smother than it's bigger brother . I loved mine before some get nicked it !! You don't mention paperwork, have you got it with the bike ?if you haven't this forum with it's great members can help.In the meantime i'm of the same opinion as already mentioned change oil and petrol and give her a good prod ,they can often respond and what an incentive that would be to get her tidied up, enjoy you bike and I look forward to hearing of your progress and for help with anything just shout there really are some knowledgeable good helpful people on this forum from all round the world,best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.10. 2013 13:17 »
Hey Al, welcome.

I'd love to see the bike with all the loose dirt, grease and oil washed off. Aside fom the exhaust, the bike appears original and together (others may correct me for missing things not original), so there may be something to "patina" being part of the value and style. Yes, people ooh and ahh the shiny stuff, but riding the weathered time machine has a classiness of its own.

Richard L.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 02.10. 2013 20:17 »
Hi Al.
Welcome to this great forum, been very helpful for me since my bike rebuild last year, I live in Desford, so not to far away from you, any help please contact me. Some sound advice already given, don,t worry to much about the dynamo, its only there to support the lights, also battery condition not critical, as only requirement is for riding in day light is the stop light. You may require help with the mag, and there,s a good guy with small unit located in Narborough. The mag is the interface for the ignition (no battery involvement required). Supreme Motor,s in Earl Shilton stock most things, but I,ve found the internet is usually cheaper. Read up on key topics, all covered in much detail on this forum. Its so much easier these days to record disassembly and assembly via photos, and print almost any information off data sheets on the internet. A picture book or parts catalogue is very handy, but again you will find these to download.
Best of luck, but you have already had a bit by picking up a pretty original looking A7 for bargin price.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 02.10. 2013 21:59 »
G'day Al,  *welcome*.
Ditto all of the above. Call it a rolling restoration. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but check all the important stuff for safety and peace of mind.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.10. 2013 09:11 »

G'day Al, ditto the above, no need to worry 'bout aesthetics for now (you know- that fancy stuff), if it doesn't start easy, or even if it does, be worth giving the points a clean (they're) behind the cover on the left end of the maggie, which is under the carby...
... and also the 'slip-ring' and carbon brushes, thats inside the maggie, under the bakelite 'pickups' at end of the plug leads, they're held in place with rotating springy clips..?

I haven't been there, but believe there's service sheets in the literature section...?? should give you a whole bunch of info.

good luck, likely be hearing from yea soon, cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #12 on: 03.10. 2013 11:56 »
Hi and welcome. I think it looks great as it is. As previous advice, make sure it's safe and reliable and ride it like it is. You will get a lot of interest out on the road.  *smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 03.10. 2013 12:02 »
Agreed. There are plenty of pristine show ponies out there - used or otherwise. Stick with the patinated look. Buy a manual and a box of spanners, and go through a full service and check through. Then ride, start with shorter trips and then wind on the mileage.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza