Author Topic: 8" TLS front Brake Plate  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
8" TLS front Brake Plate
« on: 02.09. 2013 00:40 »
I’m in the process of building a ’60 super rocket with the commonly used BSA/Tri 8”TLS front brake; however my main issue is the look of late 60’s plate which has a very different visual style to that of the original which was smooth and curvy. But I like to stop!

As such I’m looking into casting up a new front brake plate externally based on the 58/63 fwh front SLS fitted to A10’s, but which internally will run the later TLS  and externally use the TLS linkages but smaller and without the scoops or angles. I will use the late TLS flanged hub and have all the fittings from the brake plate.

While I’m at it, is there any interest in my having some extra early styled front TLS brake plates made up? This would assume you have a TLS setup to swap the parts across from.

Any indications of interest please PM me.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: 8" TLS front Brake Plate
« Reply #1 on: 03.10. 2013 16:47 »
Good morning RR, hope you're doing ok.  Wondered how this project was moving on ? I'm not so sure exactly which brake plate you are up grading as i didn't move past anything A10 from about '59. Also have a question that you may know the answer to . It's did anyone ever try a tls conversion for the original 8" single sided front stopper or is it not practical ? If they did,how did it fare .Hope you have been able to move this forward regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 03.10. 2013 17:06 »
I've seen a TLS with the outer edge removed to make it appear smaller, and then the whole thing painted black. Made the brake look a bit more in keeping with the age of the bike.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 03.10. 2013 18:56 »
A TLS brake plate assembly is available for the older single sided 8" brake and also for the full width one (190mm) usually found on RGSs, from George Prew who will probably be at the Shepton Mallet show tomorrow.
I am also not a fan of the appearance of the TLS brake commonly found on later bikes like Triumphs which I think you're talking about nor the Super Rocket front hub if I was being honest.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.10. 2013 20:33 »
The problem with the original 58/63 fwh is that the spokes reduce the available width within the hub, so I think the best option retaining that hub is to fit the slightly later floating shoes, as shoe wear will always be high on such a narrow shoe.
I'm fitting the 68/70 triumph/BSA hub that differs slightly in having a flange for the spokes so allows a wide shoe. Howerver I dont like the brake plates of that period for a super rocket and dont want to go RGS replica style.
So I'm making a brake plate that looks like your '59 externally except for having TLS linkages. It will however be more robust and run the 68/70 shoes.
While I'm doing one will probably ask for a couple more to be cast in case anyone wants one.
Just finishing my main bearing conversion and have the Barry Sheene meeting coming up to prepare for this month but will be progressing this shortly.

Good morning RR, hope you're doing ok.  Wondered how this project was moving on ? I'm not so sure exactly which brake plate you are up grading as i didn't move past anything A10 from about '59. Also have a question that you may know the answer to . It's did anyone ever try a tls conversion for the original 8" single sided front stopper or is it not practical ? If they did,how did it fare .Hope you have been able to move this forward regards BobH.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.10. 2013 22:42 »
HI All,
I believe there were a a couple of different manufacturers of TLS brakeplates back in the day to suit both the full width and single sided hubs, Taylor Dow, for defenite and I'm not sure about Tickle or A.R.E ??

The full width TD version is fitted to this ebay project
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141074317185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
and I have the single sided version in my SR, pic attached

If anyone fancies a TD brake plate for the front of a 60's 8in. Triumph, I have a friend selling one

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.10. 2013 22:49 »
I did consider modifying the later TLS plate as displayed to try and make it look more period but came to the conclusion a plate with a soft curve and no vents like the original fwh is what I want.
New Zealand

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.10. 2013 23:05 »
Hi RR,
The pic shows a period Taylor Dow brake,  NOT a late 60's Triumph one!!

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.10. 2013 23:19 »
my mistake, but too similar in style to the triumph plate for my tastes for my super rocket.

the taylor dow simply appeared to be a slightly rotated triumph plate, but is slightly different
New Zealand

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 04.10. 2013 16:06 »
My Super Rocket has the full width hub, and in the late 60,s I fitted a John Tickle TLS.
Works well still, and looks the part.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 04.10. 2013 17:39 »
my mistake, but too similar in style to the triumph plate for my tastes for my super rocket.

the taylor dow simply appeared to be a slightly rotated triumph plate, but is slightly different

Yes, it can be confusing. The one in your photo is likely to be a Dow Duetto 5 or 8 since it's on a Triumph. The Duetto 2 was for 8"full width hubs as fitted to A7SS and A10 Super Rocket models. The 5 and 8 types were for various Triumphs and a 9 type for BSA 7" full width hubs fitted to A7,A50,B40,B31 from1958-63 and the Barracuda. They all had that peripheral flange and a horizontal TLS link adjuster.
Dow's Duetto 1 was for BSA's 8" single sided hubs fitted to the A10, Gold Star, RGS and 1965 A65.
Dow's Duetto 3 was for BSA's 190mm hub fitted to Gold Stars, RGS and Spitfires.
    Both Duetto 1 and 3 did not have the peripheral flange but an angled TLS adjuster link and you can see Duetto 1 in my avatar photo.
Dow's Duetto 4 was for BSA's 203mm hub with 1 5/8" linings, fitted to the 1966/67 A65.
Dow's Duetto 6 was for Triumph's1966/7/8/9  full width hub with 1 5/8" linings.
    Both Duetto 4 and 6 had the peripheral flange but with the angled TLS adjuster link.
Dow's Duetto 7 was for some Nortons, but I wont go there...
That's the total of my Dow Duetto info direct from his catalogue (not dated). I know this doesn't help Rocket Racer much but I enjoyed looking at the old Dow catalogue.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 05.10. 2013 16:08 »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info on the TD brakes,
Your avtar pic is too small to see and pixilates when magnified
The TD on my SR appears to have a flange similar to the late Triumph type, so where does this fit into the picture???

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 05.10. 2013 18:42 »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info on the TD brakes,
Your avtar pic is too small to see and pixilates when magnified
The TD on my SR appears to have a flange similar to the late Triumph type, so where does this fit into the picture???

Regards
John
Ok, just looked at your picture and it's the same as a Dow Duetto 4 fitted on 66/67 BSA A65s which looks the same superficially as the Duetto 6 which was fitted to Triumph full width hubs 66/67/68/69. Outer flange/angled link rod/front intake scoop/vent holes under the link rod.
Attached is my Duetto 1 photo.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.10. 2013 19:08 »
Hi Alan
Cheers for that  *smile*
I have a friend with a Goldie fitted with a 190 hub and it has the same style plate as yours

A few of years ago I picked up a full width A10 wheel and TD brake plate at Stafford for £80  *smile* *smile*
but I left a Norton one there after me for the same price  *sad2*

Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #14 on: 07.10. 2013 10:45 »
That looks very nice Alan ,how well doe's it work and could the standard plate be modified ? Regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom