Author Topic: When Dreams become reality! - Project Cafe Racer!  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
Hi all, glad to be back, I mentioned in an earlier post ( not that I have been on here much recently) that I have acquired a new project. It is another a10 and this time its a super rocket  *smile*

However it wont be built as a super rocket nor will it be a rocket goldstar replica. I dont believe in replica's I tend to build bikes either to original  or my own interpretation of what it should be. Some may like this build and some may not each to there own  *smile*

The plan is build it to how a kid back in the 60's would of modified his a10 to a cafe racer, adding a few parts that he could of only dreamed about!

Heres the predicted spec -

Frame standard with lugs added for rear sets
Standard forks with the addition of heavier fork oil, Eddie Dow dampers and Taylor Dow Superlegga top yoke
Clip ons with quick action throttle, aluminium levers
Engine will be built to RGS spec with aluminium head and push rods and few added extra's ( BSA got the engine tuning right so why change it?) Itl have large journal crank, thick lipped barrels and alloy head all ported and polished
STD gearbox as itl be used and ridden all the time and I cant stand slipping the clutch!
Newbie belt drive clutch with open casing to show it off
Swept back exhausts from Armours and straight through megaphones

I am undecided on the tank and seat yet but Ill be asleep one day and itl come to me! Id really like a manx norton style tank but fitting it may be hard

What I do need help with is Hubs, Im after some that actually work, TLS ideally and good looking, seen a few that I like but they are far too expensive so can anyone help me out here?

Pictures will come shortly  *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1960 BSA A10 Police bike - rebuild
1960 BSA A10 Project Caferacer
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
Re: Please welcome our new addition - Project caferacer!
« Reply #1 on: 18.08. 2013 22:15 »
Well here are some of the bits, all been stacked up whilst we finish other projects  *smile*

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq325/BondBug_2008/IMG_2275_zps6ca58fe3.jpg

I am having a move about in the shed at the bottom of the garden then Ill bring it all out and the build will begin  *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2013 02:07 »
G'day Lukey.
Ah I love cafe's. Do it how you want it.
I have a '69 TLS hub that will go in mine one day.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2013 17:58 »
Lukey.
Unity Equipe do what I've heard referred to as a "slipper seat". (UNA34b Gold Star Racing Seat)
They can look quite good, but a lot depends on how they are fitted in relation to the rear mudguard.
Pic of one on a bike:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17358/lot/391/

Cheers,
Iain

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
Re: When Dreams become reality! - Project Cafe Racer!
« Reply #4 on: 17.09. 2013 18:22 »
Hi guys, few more bits to add

Ive finally got my hands on a GT750 4LS front Hub for the build which is rather exiting!

I have also started collecting parts that I need and parts that Ive always dreamed about having

Starting off with -

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq325/BondBug_2008/6c0c7c74-faa2-4ad8-a941-e4063a4669a1_zps5fd582f4.jpg

I have also collected -

Clip Ons
Front Levers
Throttle
Front Headlight ( whole assembly)
Rubbers
Front and Rear Mudguards
Rear light assembly
Numberplates
Indicators ( not sure if Ill fit these yet)

Next on the list to find is

Central oil tank ( idea is to fit a manx style seat with the U cut out for filler) Can anyone help with sourcing summin like this?

I also need to decide what I am going to do regarding the front forks, Im worried about using the standard ones as the brake is soo good and have heard I can bend the forks if I were to throw the anchor out!

GT750 forks make the front end 1.5" higher which again is an issue as I would like it laying flat not like a chopper etc

I then had the idea of raising the rear shocks by 1.5", Would this work? Im 6ft2 anyway so the extra height wouldnt be a problem but would it affect the handling of it?

Once forks are sorted out I can start the dry build and get everything where I want it!

Luke

1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #5 on: 17.09. 2013 19:49 »
I wouldn't worry about the standard forks; OK they're not state of the art but I doubt you'd bend them by heavy braking.
GT750 forks aren't anything to write home about either. They're only 35mm, and japanese forks from that era were notoriously underdamped.
Plus, you're going to have a bit of a hard time getting the GT750 forks to work with that top yoke. You'd either have to modify it to parallel-bore clamp-up configuration or make new tapered top-caps for the fork tubes, which would extend the fork length still further.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.09. 2013 21:05 »
Hi Lukey,
The TD top yoke moves the fork legs further down in the bottom yoke originally they were intended to be used with extra long top fork bushes, to correct the length
You also need the fork legs which are parallel all the way up to the taper on top to sucessfully fit clip ons.
" has the suz brake and forks fitted to his A10

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2787.0
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2513.0
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=3769.0

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #7 on: 22.09. 2013 21:42 »
Thanks for all the replies, The Frame is know on the bench ready for the dry build to begin!

Been doing ALOT of research into the forks etc and I have decided that original forks are going to be used, its an easy job to fit the GT750 front hub, turn down the BSA spindle to 15mm etc etc

A friend of mine has kindly offered to make me up a heavy duty front mudguard stay which will act as a fork brace too, along with any brackets I shall need for the build

I have sourced parallel stantions, and TD fork dampers so thats pretty much the front end sorted  *smile*

I will be fitting new bushes in the rear swinging arm and a GT750 rear wheel hub ( still need to research)

Another Kind friend has offered to make me a new oil tank to the specs I need so will finally be able to get the filler cap between the seat like a proper racer!

I have opted to send the bottom half to SRM for a needle roller conversion, crank balance and lighten too, May aswell get the job done properly!

I will upload pictures shortly, me phone is playing up at the moment

Luke

1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #8 on: 24.09. 2013 18:45 »
I have managed to get my hands on yet another item for the cafe racer = THE TANK

Its not ideal ideal as its fibreglass and needs repairing but its the perfect shape Im after, and Ill repair, seal, and repaint it and it should be fine, Ill drain the fuel out of it after everyride anyway just to be on the safe side, use Lead additive and only buy the best quality petrol with less ethanol in it!

Well here it is!

1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 24.09. 2013 20:45 »
Good one Luke, I like the long tank look. The only bug with them is the filler is on the wrong side.
Lucky down here, no ethanol in our premium 95 and 98.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 25.09. 2013 11:07 »
Hi Luke, would that be a Lyte tank as per clubmans ? or a special from someone like Dow or suchlike , either way will look good, regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #11 on: 27.09. 2013 09:45 »
I dont think it is Top Dad, I have never seen this style of tank before on a bike in the UK, this is what kinda drew me to it when I saw it on ebay as I like things different!

If someone stops and looks at my bike whether it be because they like it or hate it, to me that's a success!

I collected it yesterday, a lovely ride through the centre of London at rush hour! ( rather stressful lol) It seems solid, it has had a few repairs and may need redoing but all worth it!

The front wheel has also arrived, along with TD dampers

Slowly getting there, I am away this weekend, riding to Warwickshire for an overland show, when I get back the work begins on the caferacer!

Will I get it finished before my 21st birthday though, most likely not as its the 25th October but hopefully soon after this!

Luke

1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 27.09. 2013 11:51 »
thanks for your reply Luke , nice to have a young enthusiastic forum member with excellent taste (obviously by liking A10's and choice of girl friend ) although of course even old farts like me feel 40 years younger when we come on this forum !! Interesting riding a flash through central London I bet ! I did it in 1966 when 16 and it was fun then god alone knows what it's like now very best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #13 on: 27.09. 2013 12:35 »
Ahh I have to admit I did cheat through central London, I used my commuter bike a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600! theres no way Id be alive riding through London with standard a10 brakes  *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler

Offline Lukey

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #14 on: 01.10. 2013 13:53 »
Soo the project has moved ahead, frame is in the garage along with a mock up of the engine and ancilleries

What I need to decide is the colour scheme the bikes going

Did BSA have a factory team for the isle of man etc etc? If so what were the colours?

Black and silver is kinda seen everywhere like tritons etc so I was thinking summin different!

The only colour on the bike though will be the tank and the oil tank (although this will be hidden inside the frame)

If it works perhaps the headlight will be the same colour but most likely will go black!

I also need to decide exhausts, I am definitely having an open mega but not sure whether I should go with twin sweptback pipes or a siamese pipe

I have heard siamese gives the bike extra BHP?

Can anyone comfirm?

Luke
1960 BSA A7SS
1957 BSA B31
1957 BSA B33 Scrambler