Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1068 times)

Offline mechanicaljim

• Active
Hi
« on: 17.07. 2013 00:21 »
 Hello everyone,
    I just became a member last night, I feel great about that. I am a Licensed Plumber in the state of New Jersey. I ride a 1953 A/7 plunger, not sure but I think its a Golden Flash. I joined the site in hope to get my bike up and running, and to always have some where to go when I need to. I have got this bike over 30 years ago off my father who is now gone. I have never had this bike running I got it in a crate and a few boxes. Here is a picture that shows how far along I am. I hope to use it as my profile picture for this web site.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2013 09:27 »
G'day mate.
Please refrain from using your plumbing skills on the old girl. No pipe wrenches allowed. LOL.
After 30 years asleep she'll need waking gently.
My '51 is using my spare '53 frame. I think the only difference is the pillion peg mounts.
Cheers
PS got your avatar up. 1st time I've tried that.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2013 09:31 »
No pipe wrenches allowed.

How else can you tighten the primary case oil cap?  *smiley4*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2013 09:33 »
Cold chisel and hammer. I'm a fitter. *eek*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 17.07. 2013 14:56 »
That was also a great mates weapon of choice for that job , after one was lost ,He's sadly not with us anymore otherwise I'd still take the *** out of him again for that, nickname Spanner 'cos he never used one if an hammer would fit !! BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 18.07. 2013 09:41 »
Welcome aboard from another plum, nice project and great it's a family item.

Hammer? oh yes, a Birmingham screwdriver.
"A judicious tap with a hammer can often free many a frozen part" The important thing is knowing  where and how hard!!!
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 18.07. 2013 23:35 »
Welcome aboard, thanks for pictures & story.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline mechanicaljim

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 19.07. 2013 16:32 »
   Thanks Muskrat, Glad you were able to help. I am glad I have some fellow pipe slingers on here, makes me feel right at home. Thanks to all of you for reading/viewing my post. I am really in the need of original trimmings for the old gal. I would love some help from you guys, let me know if you see any. I know its like looking for a needle in a haystack . . .  I want the bike to be original, If you don't see things in any of the pick (means I don't have it ) . . . .
         looking way to long, don't want to give cut/chop this old gal, she deserves better. . .
                              mechanicaljim

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.07. 2013 18:42 »

G'day Jim, The frames are all stamped A7,& shared A7/10, but engine # will tell most all, if it's A10 likely it's a Flash variety- A7 is a Star somethin'...?

It kind of looks real promising to me as it is...? just wouldn't like to hit a bump and bounce backwards *eek*

Mine is a '52ish totally built from scratch of bitsas, and it's great, never intended as a resto, but ended up more original bits than expected.
  Best I can offer up is go with what you have, get it up and running and as the original bits become available, you can add 'em in, that's easy to say but I realised that the stock bits work/fit best/easiest- if you know what
I mean
             good luck with it- you'll be surprised how much fun it can be to ride

Cheers , duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 19.07. 2013 20:32 »
Welcome,
Don't be in such a hurry to change it. There are lots of original A10s in the world. That one is unique and has it's own story.
Cheers,
Iain