Author Topic: Buying an A10 or A7 - Pros / Cons..?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
Buying an A10 or A7 - Pros / Cons..?
« on: 18.06. 2013 22:26 »
Hi all!

I am new here - currently getting back into classic biking (Had a D1 / Speed Twin / T100 in the past) and seriously considering either an A7 or an A10 as have found one of each and both look good.

What are the pros / cons of each...in a nutshell - that might be an incredibly naive statement but I need to start somewhere so please forgive me. The A10 is a bigger engine with more bhp but I have read the A7 has a smoother, sweeter engine with decent power. I only need to get to 60mph and not interested in much more as this will be an A and B road adventure..!

Any thoughts or advice or buying tips for each very gratefully received and all being well I look forward to being a part of the forum in more depth soon..!

Many thanks,
Fredl
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
Re: Buying an A10 or A7 - Pros / Cons..?
« Reply #1 on: 18.06. 2013 22:35 »
It is the old adage buyer beware. If you are not sure what to look for try and take someone with you who has a
Clue .both should cruse at 60 no bother. Good luke.

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #2 on: 18.06. 2013 23:27 »
Can only speak for the A10 goldflash, but mine's very smooth up to 60, gets vibey at 70.
Wardleybob's advice should be taken. Caveat Emptor.
There's two schools of thought.
1. Do loads of research, take an expert with you and buy a sensible machine from someone who knows what they're doing.
2. Just buy the one you fall in love with. Love hurts, but it'll get you through the pain and expense of getting it how you want it.
You've had old Brits in the past so you're no doubt expecting to get some oil under the fingernails, just depends how much really.
'59 A10

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 19.06. 2013 04:57 »
G'day Fredl, welcome to the forum.
As you already have read of the power characteristics of the two and I agree and have one of each. I do prefer the A7 on longer trips, my A10 is a cafe racer and the ergonomics don't agree with my bent & buckled body. The A7 will keep up with modern traffic, 60-70MPH all day. The A10 will be better if you want to take a passenger or sidecar. It's really a matter of which one looks to have had an easier life.
Best of luck with whichever one you choose. Why not both? Paint them the same colour, the wife will never know. smile
Cheers
PS just deleted the other topic, no sense having two going for the same ?
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 19.06. 2013 10:23 »
Thanks for the welcome and the advice - I have done a fair bit of research and think my first choice will be an all black A7 I have found - 'if you fall in love with something' etc :-) but I haven't jumped into anything and hence the post on here for a little re-assurance and advice - I've seen it twice and it started first kick from cold (I checked!), just lovely but also saw an A10 which was also in good shape but miles away (the A7 is local) but doesn't have the same 'something' about it...

Both bikes are 're-built' (no-receipts but the A7 at least runs very sweetly, smoothly, no smoke, lovely clutch and gears all good) - both have their original tinware...the A7 a concentric instead of the standard monobloc but as far as I can tell all else looks right...and it's all black..?! My only concern was with lights on the ammeter was discharging more than I would have liked and you need to rev (again higher than I am 'used to') to get it to zero...without lights it charges +ve. Slight weep of oil at head and a little underneath but nothing drastic - at least you know its' getting there eh?

Any further thoughts or tips very welcome and look forward to sharing my joy (and no-doubt queries) with you before too long.

Cheers!
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 19.06. 2013 11:14 »
Hi Fredl, and welcome ,whatever you finally buy you'll get a load of help here ,very friendly and don't be afraid of asking no matter how daft you may think it may be ,it could save a lot of worry and expense. Whereabouts are you living? only ask because if uk based a good place to get some hands on help would be BSAOC clubs ,in UK and some other countries . Best of luck and stand by to enjoy ypur bike. BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #6 on: 19.06. 2013 11:27 »
Like your choice Fredl, my favourite year and colour, gav.
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 19.06. 2013 13:58 »
It Looks like a really nice bike. Buy it and enjoy.....

If you want peace of mind on the charging front, you could fit a solid state regulator such as the DVR2, if the dynamo is good that will sort it. Also, it's worth pulling the timing side cover off [one day] and checking for wear on the crank bush, it's only a small job but will tell you the condition of the engine.

The bike looks in great condition you will love it.

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 19.06. 2013 18:13 »
Do you know if the A7 has been converted to 12 volts? If it has they do need to be revved a bit higher before they start charging. I think you can now get a 12 volt dynamo but most conversions just use the 6 volt dynamo with a different regulator.
The A7 is a smoother engine than the A10 so if you are not planning on riding flat out it could be your best bet.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #9 on: 19.06. 2013 22:52 »
Looks good to me....
Carb, rocker oil return, & front wheel have been changed,
you should have many happy years on her..    *wink2*

The gold star behind it looks nice too...   *loveit*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 20.06. 2013 14:36 »
Offer for the A7 went in yesterday and was accepted today...looks like I'll be joining you!

Thanks again all for the advice and comments, it sounds like a great community to be a part of.

Cheers!
Fredl
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 20.06. 2013 20:45 »
Great to hear Fredl. Let us all know how it goes.
For that I give you a flag. LOL
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Fredl

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 20.06. 2013 21:44 »
A Flag?! Great, thanks! Here's a closer look at this lovely engine...woohoo!
United Kingdom
1959 A7
2005 Thruxton Bonneville

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #13 on: 20.06. 2013 23:07 »
Congratulations on your new bike. She looks lovely. Sure it's going to put a big smile on your face.
'59 A10

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #14 on: 21.06. 2013 12:45 »
I agree , there someting in that shape ,much more than the sum total of the engine ,had me hooked for 47 yrs since I first bought one,enjoy BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom