Author Topic: Hello from new member, Starfish  (Read 519 times)

Starfish

Hello from new member, Starfish
« on: 29.04. 2013 21:36 »
Hello forum members,

i have recently started a rebuild of a 1954 plunger Gold Flash that belonged to my uncle back in the 60's. It was an outfit back then and was family transport for my cousin and his folks.

In 1973 it was laid up in a garage and remained there until last November when it came in to my hands. The time in the garage has taken its toll and there is quite a bit of work to do.

At the moment my plan is to take it down, clean and repaint, and then get it back on the road and do a rolling restoration from there. I have been slowly dismantling it and i think it is going to take quite a long time to return it to running order. The chrome mudguards will go and be replaced by the right hinged rear and valenced front which I have been able to get hold of. Apart from those items it is complete and original.

Anyway, looking at the photos of your bikes is a source of inspiration and encouragement for me and i hope that in the not too distant future I will be able to post some pictures in progress.

ride easy.

graeme

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hello from new member, Starfish
« Reply #1 on: 29.04. 2013 21:45 »
Good luck with the bike! I brought my '55 GF back from a similar state last year. Sounds like you intend to keep it original.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.04. 2013 21:50 »
Graeme,

Welcome to the forum. That's a great bike to start with, nearly complete and not rusting into the ground. I think your uncle will be or, maybe, would have been, proud to see the results when you get there. Looking forward to many pictures in process. I have a hunch you will do more restoration than you think between strip-down and reassemble for "rolling restoration." It just seems to be the way it goes.

Richard L.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 29.04. 2013 22:04 »
 G'day Graeme, welcome to the forum.
You are very lucky to get a resto job so close to original. Have you tried to start her? Sometimes it's good to try as then you will know what needs doing mechanically while you paint & plate the frame & tinware.
Best of luck with her.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7