Author Topic: On the road again...  (Read 1866 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: On the road again...
« Reply #15 on: 27.03. 2013 18:33 »
Ha! I knew "chooky" because Richard (Orabanda) mentioned "chook shed" some years ago and I learned it then. Two things I can't figure out, though: 1) why was Dutch's bike back in the '80s a chicken, and, 2) how is it, exactly, that "chook" or "chooky" are needed as nicknames to foreshorten "chick" or "chicken", respectively? Uh, this isn't off topic, is it?  Back to the bike, two more questions: 1) does Oz require you to list the color on your registration? 2) So. you thought, hmmm, powder blue frame, of course, deep red and blue tins? Don't take any of this as me not digging this bike, because I do.

Richard L.  

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 27.03. 2013 18:35 »
Wow, Muskrat, you read my mind and I should not have ignored the message in red about another post while I was typing. Thanks.

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 28.03. 2013 12:07 »
Well done dutch it looks a proper bike
Ref inlet, not sure if relevant but i noticed the carb on mine stays cool even when engine really hot after a long run and theres no insulator spacer fitted as that just caused air leaks when it was fitted
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 03.04. 2013 10:11 »

I already said thanks for the comments ,favorable or diplomatic *smile*, so 'that' again,(sorry Gav, bipolar is the flavour these days, so you're so 'with it'-down with the kids) I think I've added some piccies of the inlet tract (sorry for the delay, had a technical glitch), the drawing I've overlaid with colour, is how I planned it. Made it from stock 32mm Ally tube 3mm wall = 26 mm ID, about a 40˚ offset, the blue marks are about 10mm apart on the outer circumference so I could gauge the 'stretch', as I heated it up with Mappgaz, and used a home made mandrell to keep it from squishing as I pulled it 'round. Made the flanges from some 12mm ally I had from some other insanity, and had them pro welded, and dressed it myself to satisfaction- had to marry the ends to suit carb./ inlet.

Just for the record, I saw the frame with tank(not this one)/centre stand/one plunger unit/cut-off rear guard behind vertical stays, at the wrecker in late '77 and thought " that'd make a nice little ride'..... *eek*

Can't remember if it was $40 or 60.. I think it started at 60 beat him down to 35, he offered for 30, and I beat him up to 40,..yup you read that right...such is life..!
 Found the engine/tranny, but had to rat the crank/barrels to keep the rocket going- crank broke, and barrels went when the whole show finally departed..
  There was bits cracked out of the primary cases that needed welding, and all kinds of other headaches that I've forgotten, but as it was a total salvage project, I never intended to do a restoration, but as time has progressed there are more original parts than previously intended.
        The rear guard being already cut short, was added to with a original fold up piece, that I think was all bent out of shape, and someones 'binner' so had no qualms to panel beat and weld on.
  The head has a bent and a cracked fins, but no care, this tank is no where near perfect, dings all through, and still rusty inside(even after sand blast, molasses, phosphoric-might have to try the reverse electrolysis with soda), I rely on the filter.
    Front end was NOS ebay fitted straight on, with bearing adapter sleeves.
 Due to the carby being where the battery should go, I had to make the carrier for the other side,modeled from a rigid (?)toolbox, tail light homemade stainless original/Lightning hybrid.
 I have a cut-down stock chainguard, but it wouldn't fit with that tyre so chucked on a after-market one, 'cos i was getting over it by this time, but will adapt the proper one when I'm in the mood
   If I try and go further I'll be P*****, so final word is that with all those 'Bin-Bits' involved, I'd have to say it's a 'Has Bin, will travel......'?
  Oh yeah second last word, the other day I was comin' down the main drag, and as I approached the Pleece Officers Station, a Cruise car pulled out the drive way, and when they saw me pulled over, and when I came along side they looked at me like 'What'd we do.??.."  I looked back without saying "Dont do it again....!!!!'-
 Sometimes discretion rules....!
  They didn't move at least till I was out of sight.....cheeky buggers..!

Third last word...Richard, I'll try and get a bit more Dunlop in those tyres...

Cheers Folks,  duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 03.04. 2013 10:33 »
Like that a lot.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 03.04. 2013 11:47 »
this tank is no where near perfect, dings all through, and still rusty inside(even after sand blast, molasses, phosphoric-might have to try the reverse electrolysis with soda), I rely on the filter.

When my tank came back from the platers it had rusted inside. I tried vinegar with a handfull of nails but wasn't happy so I bought a tank liner kit. It wasn't difficult to do, it was fairly cheap and has given me a perfectly clean tank. The kit I bought is called POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit: Highly recomended! *smile*

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 03.04. 2013 11:56 »
this tank is no where near perfect, dings all through, and still rusty inside(even after sand blast, molasses, phosphoric-might have to try the reverse electrolysis with soda), I rely on the filter.

When my tank came back from the platers it had rusted inside. I tried vinegar with a handfull of nails but wasn't happy so I bought a tank liner kit. It wasn't difficult to do, it was fairly cheap and has given me a perfectly clean tank. The kit I bought is called POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit: Highly recomended! *smile*

Neil Ives UK

Available in Oz here:

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CTRK#.UVwJ7e4MpjE.email

Neil
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 03.04. 2013 11:59 »

Neil Ives UK

Available in Oz here:

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CTRK#.UVwJ7e4MpjE.email

Neil

Or not: that appears to be a USA link! I found someone in Sydney that was selling these kits.

Neil
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK