Author Topic: New Rocket Gold Star Project  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
New Rocket Gold Star Project
« on: 26.01. 2013 12:12 »
Hi Guys,
I've just bought a 1961 model Gold star with Frame number CB321027* And The Engine number is a Super Rocket DA10R HC. How can i date the engine?

Michael
1960 Super Rocket powered Gold Star owner.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: New Rocket Gold Star Project
« Reply #1 on: 26.01. 2013 12:47 »
Hi mdcooperuk and welcome, the numbers are listed on the BSA owners club web site
http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/Engine_Frame_Listing.html
All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 26.01. 2013 13:47 »
My Gold star CB321027* was registered 28th October 1960 The Super rocket engine DA10R 91* is dated to 1960 which i checked on the website. Could this be the original engine fitted? how could i find out? Could it be a prototype for the Rocket Gold Star?

Help would be great ........

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 26.01. 2013 15:01 »
Hello Mdcooperuk

Wouldn't that be a story, if your purchase turned out to be a factory prototype! I imagine you know the odds against that but for a little more information you could start with the RGS page on Lightning Spares website. Try also looking up Eddy Dow's history. I heard that the first twins in Gold Star frames were down to him, not real RGS at all, and the factory took a couple of years to catch up.
I'm sure others know better than me.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the new bike. Summer's coming (up here in the N hemisphere).

Terry
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 26.01. 2013 15:32 »
Think that was the one on ebay from the guy near Eastbourne? It was up for £7000 a couple of months ago as a classified ad, then he put it up for auction a few days ago....I was very tempted but it went a bit too high for me! I suspect because he deals in reg nos that its not on the original number? If you know what it was sure that would help with tracing its history....
Will make a lovely bike though....hope you enjoy it....are you going to keep the commando brake or fit the right one? That was the main thing that put me off it tbh....

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 26.01. 2013 15:57 »
I Gave £5700 and am very pleased with it.......whats the chances of finding a DBD34 and RRT2 Box.....?

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 26.01. 2013 16:00 »
The Norton Front brake looks pretty cool so gonna leave it on.......i will find the right one and keep with the bike......

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 26.01. 2013 16:29 »
Not easy parts to find unfortunately....for what its worth I'd stick with the A10 engine....if the bike does turn out to have some history it'll be quite valuable I'd think? Buying all the bits to return it to a Gold Star is going to add up to more than it'll be worth once you've finished....

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 26.01. 2013 16:47 »
Can you recommend a good supplier for parts.....i need to get a rebore and top end overhaul.....

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.01. 2013 17:50 »
Depends a bit where you are? SRM is always a good choice though....they will look the engine over and provide a report of what is needed and estimate of price...

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 26.01. 2013 19:28 »
I do all repairs myself, im looking for a decent BSA parts supplier.
need a set of +30 HC pistons and valve guild oil seal for a start.
i have a local company that can rebore the barrels for me.

I've only been a BSA man for one day.........!!
I'm still a Norton Commando Man too........had it for 19 years now.
 As a teenager i rode a 1951 BSA M33 which i used to pretend was a Goldstar.....and thought one day i'd get one........

I'll check out SRM..........thanks

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 26.01. 2013 19:31 »
Try also looking up Eddy Dow's history. I heard that the first twins in Gold Star frames were down to him, not real RGS at all, and the factory took a couple of years to catch up.
Twin engines were never put into Gold Star frames by Eddie Dow. It is true though, that Eddie Dow was the man that was responsible for the RGS concept. The original Dow Rocket Gold Stars were in fact Super Rockets and to be more specific, the Super Rockets with chrome mudguards and separate headlamp options. Rear set foot rest lugs were welded on by Dow because they were not a Super Rocket option, and interestingly enough the lugs were not available as a spare part. Eddie Dow?s rear set lugs came from the BSA frame shop via Alistair Cave so it is rumoured. It is frequently said that the BSA RGS was a parts bin special from which Gold Star and A10 parts were mixed and matched. This was not strictley the case. The RGS frame is neither a Goldie or an A10 frame it is unique to the RGS. The RGS frame differs from the A10 frame in several respects. The RGS was fitted with a Goldie tank, but the paint scheme was different. The Goldie was lined out in red, whereas the RGS was lined out in maroon. As was the case with the Eddie Dow RGS, the BSA RGS was never a standard motorcycle. Customers could choose from many options. Ally wheel rims for instance or an ally tank, the 8? half width single sided front brake or the 190 mm full width brake. Some were supplied in full clubmans trim with clipons, some were supplied in virtual touring trim fitted with conventional footrests with the normal roadster handle bars turned upside down, and some were supplied with rear sets. The customer could opt for any combination that took his fancy.  The Gearboxes were all RRT2?s but could be selected with close ratio, extra close ratio, or standard gear clusters. The rear mudgaurd on the BSA RGS was different to both the Goldie and the A10, and the RGS front mudguard was not the same as the Goldie's. Speedo and rev counter mounts were also different to the Gold Star and Super Rocket items. There are many more differences so the oft repeated statement that an RGS is is basically Goldie cycle parts fitted with a twin motor is not really true. There are some comon parts, but there are also many subtle differences that are not immediatley apparent.

whats the chances of finding a DBD34 and RRT2 Box.....?

As it happens RRT2 boxes are not that rare. They quite often pop up on Ebay, but do you really want to pay out £2,500 + for a gearbox?

John

Offline Mdcooperuk

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 26.01. 2013 21:25 »
Wow......Thanks John that sorted that out........I'm going to fix the top end first as if smokes like a steam train. And once its running well pull it apart and restore to it former glory............it actually has an mot till October.
I've just finished my 850 Commando and looking forward to getting stuck into it.....I have owned many A10's in my youth including a super rocket.....looking forward to coming to meets and meeting other A10 owners.
I think my bike is quite unique in that it is a genuine CB32 Gold star with a DA10R motor rather than a dressed up A10.
Are the front brakes different on Gold stars than other A10 front brakes. Mine has a Norton 750 twin leading brake. Which I think is much prettier.

Michael

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 26.01. 2013 22:35 »
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the Forum, I saw that bike advertised and was somewhat surprised that the goldie mob didnt buy it????
As it happens RRT2 boxes are not that rare. They quite often pop up on Ebay, but do you really want to pay out £2,500 + for a gearbox?

I think 2.5k is probably way OTT for a RRT2 box  ???? ???? ????
I have seen fleabay ones go for £800-£1000, rebuilt ones probably £1200-£1500

If anyone has £2500 to splash out I will sell them the one from my RGS  *eek* *eek* *eek*

Pearson engines are listed from £4100 upwards, ABSAF seem to be around ?7k (info gleaned from their website saying visa no longer accepted as it costs them 5% = ?350 ????)

Some West Coast RGS models were/are fitted with  ARRT2 gearboxes, these have a very low first gear

Re,
""need a set of +30 HC pistons and valve guild oil seal for a start""

Originally BSA's did not have guide oil seals ??? quite often the original guides come loose in the heads *eek*
I have guides with oil seals fitted in my SR engine, these came from the cylinder head shop, and use T140 seals

Plus .030 pistons are very scarce!!!! and some of the patten pistons advertised are questionable???
the Hepolite branded pistons available, are in fact made in the far East, ring and pin fit bothers?? search the forum
Cake St Classics have Wiseco pistons, these are around £260 a pair

Its a pity that you dont need +.020's as I have a NOS set here *sad2*
I found a "belly" in one of the bores and had to go to +.040

Enjoy your purchace *smile* *smile*
Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)