Author Topic: Buy Sell Trade: Lucas Altette wanted  (Read 4489 times)

Offline BrianDallasTX

• A's Good Friend
Buy Sell Trade: Lucas Altette wanted
« on: 14.08. 2006 13:59 »
Just curious as to where we would post on the board for this type of info.

BTW I am looking for an Altette 6v horn.  Anyone have one that is decent?  Price? Parts needed?

Brian
Brian
'63 A10 Super Rocket

Online Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Buy Sell Trade (Lucas Altette)
« Reply #1 on: 14.08. 2006 15:06 »
Hi, for the moment, post in technical, if there is a lot of activity for special subjects I can make more categories. And I'll take some Altette's too! There are (Taiwan?) copies available, but would be nice to find some Lucas' in good shape. If anybody has spare nos diaphragms, let me know! Diaphragms in good shape is the critical part (rust), the rest can be fixed one way or the other.

Erling
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

63a10r

Re: Buy Sell Trade
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2006 03:22 »
brian. this is barefoot ed again. been lookin thru old emails for your email address as my mind is slowly getting lost. we exchanged emails a while back about gas tanks? if you can elaborate further on which horn you need, have i got a deal for you! the 63 a10 r i bought a while back came with an extra horn. dont know if it is what you need, or for that matter, if it is correct to begin with! (is it a big ugly thing?)the one on the rolling chassis was the same as the spare, soooooo. do you have a pic you could email, if you need this for a resto, (yours or a friends, as long as it is not to resell)you can have it. please email barefoot ed at
etelecaster@excite.com
the last weekend  of september is the 12th annual pigstye pasture  party, and i would like to get as many brit bikes as possible out this year, as the queens iron is seriously underrepresented here. its mostly old american iron.wed really like to get thi s thing goin . the last year before katrina, we had  about 2000 people show up. and it was a good time to be had by all. let me know
ride it like ya stole it.                                                barefoot ed

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2006 09:11 »
Ed, this is an Altette horn:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUCAS-ALTETTE-HORN-6V-VINTAGE-MG-TRIUMPH-BSA-NORTON_W0QQitemZ280017201610QQcmdZViewItem

The screws round the edge often have acorn nuts on the front of the horn.

63a10r

« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2006 17:37 »
 that is a beautiful piece. unfortunately, the horns i got with my a10s look like they came off a ford edsel or something. the brits have always had questionable taste in some of their choices in small details (some seats for instance, and the valance of some fenders, )  but these horns are BAD. ill post some pics, for hopeful identification.  thanx,              barefoot ed
ride em like ya stole em

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Buy Sell Trade: Lucas Altette wanted
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2006 23:26 »
That horn on e-bay is a pre- war unit. Swinging arm A10's had the altette with a corrugated tone disc and chrome bezel with dome bolts around perimeter. A large hex nut and adjusting screw on rear. Some British cars had a similar item but painted with screws around bezel and usually 12V. I have rewound many of these to 6V. and made the bolts for the bezel but the horn has to be completely stripped out to do this which means drilling out the points rivets.                                                 
 Note:- Nacelle models from 1958 had the HF1441 horn which is the same as Triumph used in their nacelle.

Offline BrianDallasTX

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2006 15:03 »
Thanks for the replies.  I currently have the horn from my lightning rocket on the A10 as it is 6v and the A65 is now 12v.  Works fine, just wanted to try to find the right one.

Ed- I am gonna do my best to make the ralleye/party.  Hopefully it will start to cool down a bit, kinda hard to get motivated to ride when it is 100+ out.

Brian
Brian
'63 A10 Super Rocket

Online Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 03.09. 2006 08:46 »
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"