Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Loonytunes

• Active
« on: 25.09. 2012 23:37 »
Greetings all. I have been reading the forum for a few months, have found it very helpful so it's time for me to join up. I have a 1954 Golden Flash which has been off the road for too long. Purchased the bike from the original owner in 1978, it's having a "tidy up" at the moment so thanks for all the information so far.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 26.09. 2012 10:47 »
Hello & welcome, thanks for the words about the forum, and am hoping you will get any help you may need here.

Info about the forum, see Forum Info & Help and http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,4723.0.html

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.09. 2012 11:16 »
Hi Loonytunes - and welcome, still time to get a ride in after your tidy up depending upon where you are.
I notice no location in your profile which is fair enough but a little hint as to what continent you reside in is somewhat useful, I think we have members on most of them maybe still waiting for the Artic regions *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Loonytunes

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 26.09. 2012 13:11 »
Thanks Bill, I am in New Zealand but it feels like the Antartic today, just rode home in the pouring rain. Will sort out the profile & try to sort out some photos.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 29.09. 2012 00:55 »
Good to have another kiwi on board, there's a few of us here. '54 flash...plunger? we do like photos, doesn't need to be in one piece looking fabulous! My road bike project certainly isnt
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,5488.0.html  aka Rusty!
I'm up north but will be in Wgtn next week coinciding with the BSAOC agm, so will be mosing along.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 30.09. 2012 09:48 »
G'day Loonytunes, welcome aboard.
                                                I'm surprised there's not more Kiwi's here. Going by the number of old pommie cars over there there must be more BSA's.
Second owner  *yeah*, so it won't be too molested then.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Loonytunes

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 01.10. 2012 03:44 »
Thanks for the welcome guys. The bike is 1954 swing arm model,an early one with frame & engine numbers under 1,000. I was lucky to get it from the original owner, people laughed at me back then for paying good money for an old bike but I was happy, still am! The bike was sold new in Lower Hutt, the first owner was a tool maker so it has been well looked after. Seems to have about 110 K miles on it, has had the crank ground once but it is still fine, good for another 100 I reckon. I need to replace the cam followers, any suggestions for a good supplier.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.10. 2012 03:59 »
Thanks for the welcome guys. The bike is 1954 swing arm model,an early one with frame & engine numbers under 1,000. I was lucky to get it from the original owner, people laughed at me back then for paying good money for an old bike but I was happy, still am! The bike was sold new in Lower Hutt, the first owner was a tool maker so it has been well looked after. Seems to have about 110 K miles on it, has had the crank ground once but it is still fine, good for another 100 I reckon. I need to replace the cam followers, any suggestions for a good supplier.
very nice! hope to see you at the BSAOC agm tomorrow (Tuesday 2/10) at the Firemans arms in Petone...Am down from up North this week. I have quite a lot of a '55 swing arm model, but also missing quite a lot too. I've managed to find good (cam) followers at swap meets, havent reviewed my stocks but may have good spares... 
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 01.10. 2012 11:42 »
Hi looneytunes try colt cams in Palmerston north they will swap reground followers for your worn ones. If you want new ones I'd suggest any of the reputable uk suppliers like Draganfly,  I asked SRM a couple of months ago but they were out of stock but you could ask them if they have them now.

There's a guy i know in upper hutt who can regrind them as well (cheaply).

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 01.10. 2012 12:02 »
G'day Loonytunes, welcome aboard.
                                                I'm surprised there's not more Kiwi's here. Going by the number of old pommie cars over there there must be more BSA's.
Second owner  *yeah*, so it won't be too molested then.
Cheers

Yes, just in Invercargill there are loads of classic bikes, mostly British, despite the link with a certain US agricultural bike manufacturer.

Offline Loonytunes

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 03.10. 2012 02:57 »
Hi Rocket Racer, good to meet you last night. Here are some pics of the long stroke A7 you were admiring.
First one is a work in progress then roll out day.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.10. 2012 03:09 »
Hi Rocket Racer, good to meet you last night. Here are some pics of the long stroke A7 you were admiring.
First one is a work in progress then roll out day.

Too dark to take a proper look, but it sounded nice and was even charging! Always nice to see an early one being used.
New Zealand

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #12 on: 16.10. 2012 12:51 »
welcome to the forum. and very pretty bike.
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 16.10. 2012 15:26 »
Very nice machine !
I have a nice longstroke "Star Twin" which Im looking forward to putting back on the road .

Steve...
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .