Author Topic: Just joined the forum!  (Read 622 times)

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
Just joined the forum!
« on: 11.07. 2012 13:51 »
Hi everyone, just came across your forum the other day and thought I'd introduce myself. Haven't ridden an a10 for at least 25 years (the last time I can recall was to the Dragon rally in the 80's!) but lately I've been thinking about buying one again. I passed my test on a Cub in 1970 and went to the local dealer, Johns of Romford, for my first big bike, there was an a10 there that I really wanted but couldn't afford and settled for a Gold Star at £99! A week or so later it seized and the dealer swapped it for the a10 rather than repair it. I owned that bike for a good few years (along with many others) but it was always my favourite, a fairly standard golden flash except for swept back pipes and a hugely uncomfortable fibreglass racing seat! In hindsight, parting with the Goldie was a bad move but worse was to come....some time later I went to view an RGS that was advertised in the MCN for around a £100 but turned it down because it was in the cellar of a house in Catford and seemed like too much effort to get it out!! Anyway, think thats enough for my first post here....

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Just joined the forum!
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2012 14:42 »
 G'day unclerob, welcome to the forum.
                                                     At least your hindsight is 20/20.
Best of luck in your search. Are you after a rider or a resto?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2012 15:57 »
Hi Unclerob .............. please let me have the address where the RGS was ............ you never know!!!!!

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2012 19:36 »
Hi uncle rob. A Gold star for £99 I think I have just woken from a dream
All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.07. 2012 10:15 »
Don't think the Goldie was any sort of a bargain really, back then I was earning less than £10 a week as a trainee mechanic and I'm thinking nowadays you can buy a 10 or 12 year old superbike for much less than 10 weeks worth of wages....we've never had it so good!! The RGS was just round the corner from Myers Motors on the South Circ....can't remember the street name...sorry!!!! The a10 I have in mind will be a swingarm GF, what at the time I would have called an Ariel type...headlamp cowl, hubs, round tank badges etc....from memory that would be about 55 or 6? Not too concerned about the condition but hopefully fairly complete....not in any rush as I really ought to have a bit of a clearout first (have several v-twin Hondas about the place!) but I'd be grateful to hear about anything in the £2 to £3000 range that anyone knows of....And just found a pic of my very first a10 as mentioned before... must have taken it several years after I got it because I can see I replaced the seat and painted the tank in tribute to kenny Roberts after seeing him one year at brands hatch!!