Author Topic: I know - done to death...Supplier for A7 plunger pipes please!  (Read 2122 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Hi all,

Looking still for a good and cost effective supplier for a pair of pipes (or preferably siamese) for an A7 plunger. And who to avoid...

Its about all thats left to get/do on this mega marathon rebuild (got my dating cert last week tho'   *smile*  ) - but apologies as I'm sure everyone's sick of this topic but I cannot find any concensus about who to go to.

Anyone who isn't comfortable about naming and shaming - could you PM me?

Cheers

Alan

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Oooops,

Should have added that a good pair of used pipes would be just as acceptable!   *red*

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
Down in OZ we say "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", so keep asking till you get the right answer! Sorry to steal your thread but you have reminded me of my own exhaust wants, does anyone in Melbourne area have an old set of engine pipes for a '56 S/A A10? Cheers TC
59 Super Rocket 

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Down in OZ we say "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", so keep asking till you get the right answer! Sorry to steal your thread but you have reminded me of my own exhaust wants, does anyone in Melbourne area have an old set of engine pipes for a '56 S/A A10? Cheers TC

Still squeaking away - somebody must have some knowledge of where to go!! Please?

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
I think of all the replacement parts that we have to buy, exhaust pipes are the most problematic. I purchased mine direct from Wassell because I though they would be a good supplier, the pipes and chrome are fine but the fixing bracket was miles out, so I cut them off and drilled the bit that was left and then made brackets to suit. I don't think that you will find anyone who will stick their neck out and recommend someone. Sorry to be negative, but they are a difficult part.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Just commentating here. Not speaking from experience or offering any endorsement,  but armoursltd.co.uk advertises the pipes you want.  There have been a lot of forum comments about Armours, several bad, relating to fit. As I see it, pipes are very hard to get exactly right in the aftermarket world. Sorry, can't recall where you're located, but if in the UK, you might be able to establish a relationship with them and get special care paid to the details.

Richard L.

beezermacc

I get most of my pipes from Armours and have never had a problem with any of them.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
I wanted to be sure I was not talking out of my hat regarding Amours reputation on the forum, so I went back and checked comments about them. I was not incorrect in saying that there have been several negative comments, but I was incorrect in failing to mention that there are also several positive comments (now one more).

Richard L.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
You are right Richard in that they are difficult to re produce in comparison to say a wheel spindle which is turned to a diameter. on the other hand there are only three important  points ie the exhaust port, the silencer connection and the engine bolt point. It would not be difficult for the manufacturers to produce a jig which checks that the pipe picks up correctly on these three points.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Beg to differ a little Goldy,all that applies, but in addition as I've just discovered, the engine pipe also needs to have the appropriate bends/ angles/offsets to cater for ancillaries like kick stand,primary adjuster, footpegs and brake pedal(but that's my next topic).
 cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Alan you have probably read what I put up about the siamese set I bought from Armours for my plunger A10.

The strange thing is that particular set of pipes would have probably fitted a A7 almost perfectly, the A7 being one fin lower in the top end.

Like I said before I have bought lots of exhausts from them and they have always been good but that particular set was way off.

Like everything these days regardless of the cost most aftermarket/reproduced stuff just isnt up to the standard it should be.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
As previously stated, the pipes Armours supplied to me weren't even the right diameter to pug in to the head. Their suggestion was that if the pipes were oval at that point they would replace - they weren't. Their other suggestion therefore was that the ports on my head were undersize and that I should grind them out.

Nice.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
There was one thing I did find a bit strange when I bought mine.

I rang them to get a price etc and whoever it was I spoke to said they were out of stock at the time and were waiting for some to come in, I always thought they made them in house. Maybe they get them in from a cheaper supplier these days whch could explain the poorer quality.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Thanks for all of your replies - I am right in thinking then that a plunger siamese A10 set would fit the plunger A& albeit with the possible need to make up a small bracket to join the pipe bracket to the engine bilt?

If so...result!