Author Topic: super, flash, rocket  (Read 936 times)

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
super, flash, rocket
« on: 19.05. 2012 09:25 »
Hi all, been quiet for a while, fairly busy doing house revamping, so not much time for bike work.
I have been looking at posts and learning quite a lot. I decided to go the Indian tank route and am happy with the purchase,bit af extra rubber for a comfy fit to the frame and the under tank strap had to be made as the original was a bit too wee.  I have done a rewire and am waiting for a Dvr2 regulator from Dynamo Regulators to arrive, much praise for them on various club forums.
I had to make the stays for the mudguards which are of a unknown make *eek* I was missing some original stays and what I had did not fit very well, ok for valenced guards. So I have made some out of ally tube, bit meccano, however I have tried to make it look reasonable, getting the form of the bridges took a couple of tries and getting the height right that was a nightmare! still not 100p/cent happy with the rear guard, it looks in balence but is a bit lower than I expected in relation to the seat, perhaps it's not the exact guard it should have. If I lift it the forward end fouls the tyre, so using the "if it looks right it is right" formular I will have to be content.
I got the info from bsaoc and it's more or less a super rocket but lost it's head, bit like me *smile* It seems it made its way to New Jersey in 1961/2 and then sometime later turned up in Germany as a super rocket, I doubt if the full story will come to light. It's one of the many "bitza's" that are roaming the world, however I like it.
I have fired it up and wow! great noise, it has the high comp pistons still. How it will go on the road I have no idea.
Has anybody got on iron head engine running 8.5/1's and rocket valve timing,? I am worried if it's going to get too hot.
I would like to get a ally head, seen a couple on evilbay but won't send to europe, uk only.
I am not in a rush so perhaps I will be lucky some time.
I will over time replace the wheel rims and other parts as necessary.
The rims cleaned up resonably well with some pitting, I used aluminium foil rubed over the pitting to act as camoflage and the result is ok , at least untill you get very close *whistle*The spokes I have painted with a silver paint for fire places, air dry took a week but they look like zinc plated now, ok not stainless but i want to ride it not just look at it *loveit*
It's been a bit of a jig saw puzzel with cleaning and checking bit's out, is this sevicable/adjusted or is this bit in a box actually for this bike???
I think I have ended up with a useable bike that in time can only get better.
Now iIhave to jump into the mystery of Registration as a moto de collection here, plenty of paper work and more waiting, still makes life interesting. i hope you like my attempt to bring the bike back to life and thankyou for the tips I have picked up by looking through the forum posts.
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: super, flash, rocket
« Reply #1 on: 19.05. 2012 09:41 »
Looks good alf, I did the same thing made mudguard stays out of aluminium tube. The rear mudguard I also found difficult to get right, you say yours is too low I think mine is too high but it depends how fussy you are. It's always good to have another one on the road. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 20.05. 2012 17:30 »
Thanks Goldy, seems we are in the same boat with fitting guards. some times just have to make do and mend.
Cheers Al
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 20.05. 2012 20:47 »
 G'day Alf, looks like your doing a great job. Maybe a small rack will disguise the rear guard. BSA stands for Bits Stuck Anywhere. *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7