Author Topic: new member  (Read 1025 times)

Offline alan curtis

• Active
« on: 10.05. 2012 19:44 »
hi all, my name is alan curtis, i live nr worcester, been trying to register for a while, but the emails was getting sent to spam, not the best person on a pc ,but getting there. iam a british bike fan, but also have a project or 2 on the go, the bikes i have at the moment are.
1935 montgomery j.a.p 500cc,  1936 a.j.s model 12 250cc,  1938 s.o.s 250cc  ( 1 of 14 i have owned )
1939 bsa m21, 1953 honda dream 3e 150cc, 1956 honda dream me 250cc, 1961 honda cb72
1967 bridgestone gtr 350
 i did have over 30 bikes at one time, but as i do them they get sold, i had a bsa a10 in the 1970's reg no pha 430, is it still about, its on the dlva site , would love to see it again, i rebuilt it in my bedroom at home, then could not get it down stairs. great site.  iam loking for a a10 project, thought this might be a good place to start. love reading all the stuff that goe's on and all the help that is offered. will see if i can add a pic of my old bsa, cheers alan

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: 10.05. 2012 20:53 »
Hi Alan,
Welcome to the forum. That certainly is a varied selection of
bikes you've got there. Hope you find your project, plenty of
information available from the guys on here when you do.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.05. 2012 00:27 »
G'day Al, Good to see you along, but don't leave us in suspense- How did you get it down the stairs,and were they straight or was there an interesting hairpin halfway down??
 Cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline alan curtis

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2012 09:40 »
thanks for the welcome, getting down the stairs was not that bad in the end, we ended up taking the rails apart and the banister off, with a bit of board and a few mates we got it in the right place, i didnt have a shed at that time, so took it apart out side, and as the stuff came back , stored it in my cuboards in my bedroom, had the frame all wraped up, so un wraped it to have a look at it , then it started, before long i had a nr complete bike.. this pic is me on the bike in the 1973, i was 17," like the shoes", this was my first bike on the road, i got the bike when i was 16, and had a chair on it, you could then ride them on L plates, great times... all the best alan

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 11.05. 2012 10:15 »
Good morning Alan and welcome, as already stated you've come to the friendliest and most knowledgeable forum there is . You hit a nerve when you recalled not being able to get an "A" out once rebuilt I rebuilt a A7SS in my bedroom as well (1967 ) but I was on the second floor of a high rise block of flats , My original idea was to use the lift and get the janitor ( I was going out with his Daughter now my wife of 42 years ) to allow us to open the doors at the back of lift ,but they weren't high enough to get the wheel into so I ended up calling up the troops and 4 of us handballed her down 6 flights of stairs , after much swearingetc  she arrived on the ground and turned out to be a marvelous bike , cost me a fortune in beer but well worth it , thanks for stirring another memory and best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.05. 2012 02:36 »
Yer making me look good Al, I did pretty much the same too,accidentally, over the last few months in my lounge area, mind you didn't get to complete it there, motor still  the kitchen, simmering.(and I'm a bit more than 17)
   In your case I might've rigged up a gantry in the bedroom ceiling with a long drop chain block, and cut out a replaceable floor section under the bike, that way you could always pull it back up for a cuddle/TLC if it broke down??  (giving future generations good ideas)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline alan curtis

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 13.05. 2012 10:45 »
Yer making me look good Al, I did pretty much the same too,accidentally, over the last few months in my lounge area, mind you didn't get to complete it there, motor still  the kitchen, simmering.(and I'm a bit more than 17)
   In your case I might've rigged up a gantry in the bedroom ceiling with a long drop chain block, and cut out a replaceable floor section under the bike, that way you could always pull it back up for a cuddle/TLC if it broke down??  (giving future generations good ideas)
thanks dutch and bob, what we got away with when we started messing with bike's, i remember wireing a bsa in the kitchen, at 3 am, when it was done ,just had to try it, and fired it up, with no silencers on, i bet my family and my neighbours loved me, going to work on the bsa, had to drive through the alley way between the to house's, and noise must have made sit up in bed, it did echo a bit, have a bit more repect these days.. really building a bike in doors is not the best idea, but its warm and the lights are better, more sheds/ workshops is what we need, every body should have a shed, i just built my wife her fist shed, she loves it, and now gets it how we need this space. i made her a sign for it, "called the dog house", so when her friends calls, i say to them she in the dog house, then want to know what she's done.. ha.. alan