Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 1472 times)

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
New member introduction
« on: 10.04. 2012 19:59 »
Hi i'm a new member i am hoping to get my A10 back out of the shed and back on the road this year so i will be no doubt seeking help along the way cheers baz (and thanks in advance)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: 10.04. 2012 20:41 »
G'day Baz, welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the A10, were all here to help. How long have you had her and how long since ridden ?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 10.04. 2012 21:06 »
Hello & welcome. Am hoping the forum will be helpful, welcome to post questions & photos.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 11.04. 2012 19:08 »
Hi i havent ridden it for about 8 years i have other bikes this one ended up on the back burner the reason i stopped using it was it would overheat and cut out i never did cure it so when i return it to the road i will try again,the motor has a super rocket head flat top pistons 357 cam,siamese exhaust goldie silencer,it only used to cut out when i thrashed it,ridden sensibly it was fine i tried going up on the main jet tried different carbs including a mikuni,i have changed the magneto and adjusted the ignition timing i have checked that the advane & retard is working with a strobe lamp and a cutawy timing cover and i am now starting to wonder if the valve guides were too tight and jamming open? but i cant remember if there was a drop in compression when it cuts out!,it will be another few weeks before i get time to play with it i'm hoping to get to the bottom of it,in the meantime i have just bought a re con mag and re con advance & retard unit also a decent 389 monobloc can someone give me some exact ignition timing for this spec motor? cheers baz

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 11.04. 2012 19:28 »
Hi, this board is for member presentations and pictures etc.
For any tech questions, start a topic in the Technical boards, or find a relevant existing topic (using Search) and post there. Thanks.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.04. 2012 20:47 »
Welcome baz it,s always good to have another A10 on the road. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 11.04. 2012 20:52 »
Hi, this board is for member presentations and pictures etc.
For any tech questions, start a topic in the Technical boards, or find a relevant existing topic (using Search) and post there. Thanks.
                                                                                                                                                                      Ok thankyou baz

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #7 on: 11.04. 2012 21:07 »
Tappets set too close. When really hot they close up and prop the valves open.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #8 on: 11.04. 2012 21:20 »
Welcome Baz, I'm just starting on mine this winter, although mine is a complete basket case. I've been on this forum just over a year and find it a trove of info.
By the way where are you.

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 11.04. 2012 22:58 »
Tappets set too close. When really hot they close up and prop the valves open.
Cheers
                                                   i will check this but are you sure they would close that much? on my B44 i set the clearance to almost zero and when the motor gets hot the gap opens right up! of course the B44 has an aluminium barrel the A10 cast iron,i would be well pleased if it just the clearances too tight  cheers baz

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 30.05. 2012 18:27 »
i checked the valve clearences they were not tight cheers baz

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.05. 2012 19:44 »
I always was taught that the gap opened when the motor got hot, hence the settings on some bikes/makes to set the tappets so that the rod would turn but have no gap when cold.
I also been told this is wrong but think it may be right *dunno*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #12 on: 30.05. 2012 21:11 »
G'day Bill, depends on the construction and materials used. If a manufacturer gives a clearance the gap will shrink when hot, if they give no clearance it will open up ( HD's for ex, just like the tractors you use *smile*).
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 31.05. 2012 10:50 »
Cheers for that Muskrat, so it's not a one rule for every motor thing

As for the tractors (I drive only part time since retirement) JD have screwed up with their last issue of engines, apart from redesign to cope with emissions they came up with an idea to comply with differing speed limitations in various countries by instead of changing gearing in the transmission (mostly electronic these days) they just put a limiter on engine revs in some top gears so it cant go over the countries speed restrictions - result b****r all power in those gears,and such is the torque curve that once it's down you just end up going down and down and down the gears, the alternative (and safest) method is to select a very low gear at the bottom of hills and put your favourite album in the MP3 player :(
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline baz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 31.05. 2012 17:45 »
i to was sceptical of running a tight valve clearence on my B44 but after reading the Rupert Ratio book of the single i tried it,he advizes closing the gap until you can just revolve the pushrods i tried this on my B44 and checked it again when the engine was hot sure enough there was plenty of clearence i decided to run my T25ss like this as well cheers baz