Author Topic: Rusty  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Rusty
« Reply #60 on: 12.06. 2015 00:27 »
Another lovely job from Custom Chrome in Gisborne
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #61 on: 14.06. 2015 06:33 »
splitting efforts between this and the A75 seems to mean progress is annoyingly slow. Quite a few loose ends, nothing fundamental but keep needing to order odds and sods (not the who album)

The tank mount hole has me a wee bit confused it seems to be 5/16 but the bolts sent to me for tank fitment are 7/16 and an adapter that takes it out to 5/8. No obvious sign of the frame being altered...
I do have a long screw that fits it, so will probably do.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 08.01. 2016 02:32 »
Well the good news is that Chris's bike is giving sterling service and proving reliable
Benders front wheel was sorted
and the rocket three is road legal and making a great summer bike  *yeah*
so... have been slowly getting back to the super rocket and have torn out the swing arm to sort out chain guard mounts  *doh* (should have done that long ago!)
and have ordered a chain guard of correct type.
still wiring to do and havent sorted out a dynamo drive yet $$$  *sad2*
Will be interesting to compare the super rocket to the triple  *conf2*. Its progressing again anyhow so hopefully this year I'll have both road legal to play with (as well as the trusty ZB33)
Last year saw the sale of the house and moving into a temporary rental. This year will be building a new workshop and a house.
And thats all ignoring some unrelenting family health issues and trying to find some time for racing my A10 rig (aka Bender)
It'll happen   *whistle*
New Zealand

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #63 on: 08.01. 2016 10:12 »
Sure it will RR with such a positive attitude , good luck to your endeavours  *wink2*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #64 on: 09.01. 2016 00:45 »
Looks pretty complete, which is a great start. Not so sure about the home made speedo bracket, but what the heck, function first. The front fender looks to me like it's from a Ducati single. All in all, I'd love to find one in that condition that I could afford to buy.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 09.01. 2016 01:02 »
Looks pretty complete, which is a great start. Not so sure about the home made speedo bracket, but what the heck, function first. The front fender looks to me like it's from a Ducati single. All in all, I'd love to find one in that condition that I could afford to buy.
I'm presuming the comments refer to the triple ; the instrument (rubber boot in a chrome surround) fittings are all std mk2 '71/'72 type and the front fender and forks are T160 (a small heath product). I'd always wanted one of the last triples  *loveit*. The front end upgrade makes sense and a mate has also given me the parts to retrofit an electric start and I have a five speed sitting on a shelf... I did try and find a set of the original type wire headlight brackets but the repro ones didnt quite fit without relocating the zener. Its a work in progress but it's road legal and makes a great noise and such a different beast to my other pre-units. I'm also in the process of having the original export tank panel beaten and rechromed like I did with both my A10's, expensive compared to a repro but I like to keep original tanks if i can (as all were still sound other than dents)
New Zealand

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #66 on: 09.01. 2016 08:17 »
"I'd always wanted one of the last triples"

R3 Mk2 is on my 'wish I had one' list too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 09.01. 2016 08:37 »
and the front fender and forks are T160 (a small heath product).

I was wondering about the disc front...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #68 on: 09.01. 2016 22:40 »
getting a bit off topic for rusty; but while all the triple engines were built at the BSA works, the T160's were purely of Small Heath manufacture although designed at the Norton works. Disk front ends were fitted to T150' and T160's from '73 on.
They only made  564 A75's in the '72 season, mainly in late '71

New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 18.03. 2016 07:40 »
Have been doing a bit of work on the SR swingarm, as have settled on retro fitting a correct type repro chainguard and the mounts had been removed by a previous owner. So had a set of mounts swapped off a dented swingarm but the chain adjuster bolt threads have also been tapped out to a very large size (presumably by the person who cut off the chainguard mounts  *shh*.
But came across a perfectly good swing arm at a recent swap meet, so will use now that instead   *doh*

Will be nice to actually get this bike done.  Its so close but still quite a few lose ends. It will happen. 
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #70 on: 18.03. 2016 07:53 »
Good things come to those that wait.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 20.03. 2016 06:22 »
tried fitting the repro mudguard, no surprises, only three holes lined up loosely assembled and they are all threaded  *razz* so seem to have the option of opening up the swing arm hole (the genuine part) bending the bracket by that hole or drilling out the forth repro chainguard hole including the thread and just fitting a nut on that bolt. Don't you just love repro parts that sort of fit.   *pull hair out*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #72 on: 26.04. 2016 22:43 »
With an emphasis on Bender (my sidecar) and the triple, progress on Rusty has been pathetic.
The front wheel which is a retromodified TLS to look like a 60 type brake does looks the part and I'me very pleased with, but one of my later 60's type damper rod fork legs has a rotten leak out the bottom by the axle and needs to come back off.
I've at least now got the rear chain guard how I want it so have reassembled the primary side and got oil for the primary and gearbox to add.
Still seem to have a big list of outstanding tasks but if I can get the triple behaving might manage to focus some time on getting this puppy running too over the winter.
*spider*
New Zealand

Offline bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #73 on: 14.06. 2016 10:19 »
looking good RR, I am in about the same state as you, everything almost etc etc

it'll all get done!

Thanks for the really interesting info and the vvvvvideos.

Someday when you have time more about that brake would be great, and Bender's front brake..I spy with me little birdie eye...

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #74 on: 16.06. 2016 06:14 »
Thanks for the encouragement Bodger
I'm hoping to get some shed time this weekend and will look to get an updated pic of Rusty's front hub, once I've got the fork leg back on...
The brake is a later TLS but with a correct 60/61 type brake plate modified to take the TLS internals and levers. I really like that it looks subtle but should stop.
Benders front brake while perfect for an outfit is far too heavy for a solo. It started as two single sided hubs pressed onto a new centre but the twisting forces on a sidecar wheel were too much for it and it broke up with one side collapsing and the other not far behind. We were thankfully able to save the hubs though and now on a more flexible and strong centre.
Benders double 8" SLS is very effective.
I'll get there  *whistle*

We did run up to Whangarei recently for a vintage rally, had 10 bikes leaving my place, mainly A10's and A65's  *wink2* although some other marques with me on modern rubbish  *sad2*
One of our forum members was breaking in his super rocket with a number plate including an SR moniker. He had the minor irritation of an ongoing but minor leaking oil tank causing some smoking on the pipe so I nicknamed it Smokey Robinson   *shh* 

Tim
New Zealand